Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My bedroom was lightening in flashes because of the lightning. I believe the power went off because the lighting went off in the rest of the house.

Do people really mess that up?

Frodo46888

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When writing the Latin alphabet equivalent of a foreign word that uses a different written system such as Arabic, Chinese, etc., it should make phonetic sense. So why is "feng shui" apparently pronounced as if it were "Fung shway"?
And now that we're becoming more Arabic-conscious, have you noticed the proliferation of the letter "Q"? For years the Q was becoming less and less useful, but now it's being used as a substitute for K. When I was growing up, it was the Koran. Now it's Quran (or something like that!) Does the new spelling more accurately reflect the pronunciation of the Arabic word?

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When writing the Latin alphabet equivalent of a foreign word that uses a different written system such as Arabic, Chinese, etc., it should make phonetic sense. So why is "feng shui" apparently pronounced as if it were "Fung shway"?
And now that we're becoming more Arabic-conscious, have you noticed the proliferation of the letter "Q"? For years the Q was becoming less and less useful, but now it's being used as a substitute for K. When I was growing up, it was the Koran. Now it's Quran (or something like that!) Does the new spelling more accurately reflect the pronunciation of the Arabic word?

Systems of roman transcription are determined not just by similarity of sound but by the need to have a correspondence between the roman characters and the phonemes of the target language. I know almost nothing about Chinese phonetics and phonology, but I would guess that the letter "u" is used for transcribing a phoneme that is entirely different from the vowel in the word transcribed as "feng," so "e" is used instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Chinese

I think the most commonly used roman spelling of the name of the Muslim holy book is now "Qur'an." I believe that the "q" represents a stop made slightly further back in the mouth than "k"--the tongue meets the uvula rather than the velum, if that means anything to you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Arabic

Reactions: Frodo46888

A grammar cop doing their duty..............
girl_arrested_by_sexy_cop_by_tha_flamereborn-d9volu6.jpg

Arrested for having one to many rings...

Three rings, two under =

:) Audi used a well know symbol yet modified it. Doh. :) 4 rings......Yet, for some reason we saw it and it made sense...why??

Good marketing hey? :) :)