Grammar Police (What ticks you off?)

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
How about "7am in the morning"? That implies that it could be 7am in the afternoon else it would not be necessary to state that it is in the morning.

Then we have "hot water heater". That's necessary because it could be a cold water heater. Then of course there is the ordinary water heater.

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
ending a sentence in a preposition. "where are you going TO?" ugh!!!

That is a good example of incorrect form, but there's not a hard and fast rule that prepositions can't ever end a sentence. The question you're supposed to ask yourself is, "Does the sentence make sense without it?" If it does, cut it.

Example... you could ask someone, "Where are you going?" and wouldn't change the meaning of, "Where are you going to?"

I would take credit for this but I must confess I got it from Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl. :)

Reactions: Fuzzy_ and Enid

johnnyunitas

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No no no, 2T.
This is a new wrinkle .. the contracted ellipsis..

I am the King of grammar wrinkles. Some call me the Sharpei of Semicolons, some call me the Antidote to the Fountain of Youth, some simply refer to me as the Elephant Strunk.

Grammar rules R 4 suckas..

Squirrel1

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Oddly enough, the schools are teaching one space after a period in the age of technology. Go figure. I’ll stick with two spaces after a period.
Unfortunately most software removes the second space whenever I am typing. WordPerfect doesn't, but I use a 2002 version if it.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
How about two spaces after a period, at the end of a sentence? No one does that anymore.

I put two spaces after periods (full stops for the Brits) at the end of sentences. But what bothers me is putting a space before the period at the end of a sentence. I don't know why some people do that.

Reactions: Squirrel1

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oddly enough, the schools are teaching one space after a period in the age of technology. Go figure. I’ll stick with two spaces after a period.

I don't always agree with the schools. They have also stopped teaching handwriting, also known as cursive. That means that kids can no longer read historic documents. I don't know how they fill out and sign checks.