Grandpa

mindseye: [quote author=Pecker link=board=meetgreet;num=1067816010;start=0#18 date=11/02/03 at 17:01:56]Excellent idea!

Mindseye?[/quote]

Well, it's possible to do this if there's a strong enough consensus.

I'd like to argue strongly against doing so, however. YaBB, being only a 'dumb' computer program, can only rank people by the quantity of their posts, not their quality. We've already seen cases of people intentionally posting substance-less drivel just to drive up their total number of posts. I know that if something were to happen to me, I wouldn't want to be remembered as the guy at the top of the List Of Sheer Volume. I'm not sure he'd have wanted that either.

In addition, people have thoughtfully posted their remembrances of him as they passed him on the list -- and, frankly, that's a pretty cool way of honoring him. If his position were 'fixed' at the top of the list so that he couldn't be passed, that particular way to honor him would no longer be possible.

awellhungboi: Although I know everybody's hearts are in the right place, for what it's worth, I agree with Mindseye.

AnonyMs: I have made the post about Grandpa's death a sticky topic in Etc and plan on keeping it as a sticky topic for a while.

da_blissmachine: that sounds like a better way of memorial

7x6andchg: Actually, as Mindseye says, I like the passing phenomenon, too...it will still happen at least, what, 12 more times on the top 25? And if we can remember how many posts he had after he falls off that list, we can continue to do it....

And he WOULD have gotten a kick out of this thread.

7x6&C

mindseye: Bump.

[quote author=prepstudinsc link=board=meetgreet;num=1067816010;start=0#0 date=11/02/03 at 15:24:30]To the moderatorial types:  Is there a way that we can lock him in so he will always be in the top 25?  He deserves some kind of posthumous posting ranking.[/quote]

Initially, I had opposed doing this, because I believed there was a better way to honor him than by fudging with the statistics or by implying that all he had done was posted a lot of messages.

It hit me last night -- there's a really simple change that I could've done that I think would be completely appropriate. Instead of forcing his name to a certain position on the list, why not dedicate the page of top 25 posters to him?

So, the Finedessert Memorial Page is in operation now. :) Hope y'all like it.

prepstudinsc: That's a perfect memorial to him....I just didn't want him to be forgotten, especially with all the drama of what's happened on here lately.

tracksuitboy: [quote author=mindseye link=board=meetgreet;num=1067816010;start=20#26 date=11/13/03 at 14:40:21]why not dedicate the page of top 25 posters to him?  

So, the Finedessert Memorial Page is in operation now.  :)  Hope y'all like it.[/quote]

Just wanted to add my two-penneth* worth by saying that the dedication to Grandpa at the bottom of the Top 25 is just perfect!.

I'm sure he's lookng down from wherever he is feeling dead chuffed **.

TSB

* two-penneth; very old English phrase (@ current exchange rate, two penneth = two cents worth!)

** chuffed; English casual word for happy