GRE Subject Test?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: Took the Math subject test on Saturday -- as a longshot, did anyone else take that test, too?

Those of you who've taken subject exams before, what'd you think of them?

2. Imported

Gold Member

ish789: Exams shouldve never invented they shouldve let ppl become smart on their own and never invented school. Except for college... Well the last exam i took drove me nuts, was a Geometry test. Couldnt even remember half of the math to it.

3. Imported

Gold Member

Ineligible: As a teacher, I have to agree, exams aren't a good way to assess learning, and they are not a good way to drive learning. The best way to learn is to want to learn, and be interested in learning.

The trouble is, they are the only way to be reasonably sure you're assessing the student's own work, and not someone else's. If another way of doing that was found, it would be a great benefaction to teachers and students.

4. Imported

Gold Member

ish789: thats why they invented FCAT in Florida

5. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: [quote author=Ineligible link=board=99;num=1068520979;start=0#2 date=11/10/03 at 20:12:54]As a teacher, I have to agree, exams aren't a good way to assess learning, and they are not a good way to drive learning. The best way to learn is to want to learn, and be interested in learning.

The trouble is, they are the only way to be reasonably sure you're assessing the student's own work, and not someone else's. If another way of doing that was found, it would be a great benefaction to teachers and students.[/quote]

Well, yes and no -- I think at younger grade levels, you're absolutely right. By the time someone's taking the GRE, it's pretty much a safe assumption that they're already driven to learn, and want to learn more.

I'm much more concerned with ETS's claim that it can distill one's entire body of mathematical knowledge down to a single three-digit number. :(

6. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: The GRE!

OUCH!

That thing's awful! I took it back when I was considering graduate school.

I feel for you, Man! Good luck!

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I was a good rote learner in school - never studied beyond what was assigned - always did my homework. I got good grades.

But I was not trained to be a performer, therefore I didn't do well on standardized tests.

As a former teacher I strongly suggest that part of what the students learn should be how to think about what is being taught, i.e. practical uses that make sense.

Rote has its place but teaching a child/person how to perform with that knowledge is essential to the ability to measure his or her progress.

Pecker

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

8. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

My GRE experience was so incredibly comical. In fact, I knew I had to take the exam, didn't yet, but managed to pay for the deadline -- three days later -- and if I didn't do it exactly on the day I paid for it, I might not have been able to take it again before grad school admission deadlines.

It happened on the ACT, too. The night before the exam, my immunity shut down on me and I woke up feeling like crap. Typical cold symptoms and they usually went away in a couple of days... I never could explain it. Maybe I had some serious anxiety hidden away about these exams, and I never could get at that "good point" to take them. (It's worth exploring further.)

And in all honesty, I did pretty "average." Undergraduate school gave a statistical average of ACT scores in our class and I scored right in the middle (25). I don't know about my grad class, but UK grad admissions only require an 800 on the GRE verbal and quantitative. The program I'm transitioning into recommends a score of 1,000, and I scored a bit better than that. Of course, I always had to deal with the dorks who were swapping and comparing scores to see who got the best ones overall.

My GPAs were always great. 3.9 in high school. 3.5 in undergraduate. If everything goes okay, I'm starting off grad school with a 4.0. I'm a "creative" thinker; I like visual diagrams, discussing class material with my peers to get a shared meeting, and philosophy and sociology are really in my heart, you know.

And when it came down to this test, as long as I didn't do terrible, I felt fine. I still don't think GREs or ACTs or anything like that really shows how smart people are or how well they learn; since they're still standardized test, quantitatively, people are going to fall half above the mean and half below. That's it.

9. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: Dee, I love the quote with your avatar!
    :D :D

10. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

The more overwhelming sense of anxiety that I can remember was about taking my GRE. Was it really as bad as I was anticipating? You bet your ass it was!

11. Imported

Gold Member

tracksuitboy: What the hell is a GRE anyway?

And can anyone explain SATs?
    (Corey Haim's explanation in License to Drive was Saturday Afternoon Tests, which I thought was rather dry!)

Reading further in this thread, I see ACT, GPAs & FCAT - blimey, the whole world is becoming a set of initials.

TSB (in the UK) - see what I mean!

12. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

[quote author=tracksuitboy link=board=99;num=1068520979;start=0#10 date=11/12/03 at 00:51:53]What the hell is a GRE anyway?
    [/quote]

GRE = Graduate Record Examinations. It's a standardised test that's given to those applying to graduate school to assess their knowledge and qualifications for their chosen fields of study. The information is used by graduate school admission committees and fellowship sponsors.

13. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Thanks, wvalady!

While GREs are the standardized test used for admittance into graduate school, SATs and ACTs are the equivalent for undergraduate school.

SATs are divided into math and verbal sections; ACTs do the same, and also incorporate science and reading comprehension. That's why I took the ACT: one, it was cheaper; and two, I think it was a better indicator of my strengths and weaknesses over a variety of subjects.

FCAT sounds like another assessment specific to Florida's teaching guidelines. You can read more about it [link=http://www.fcatexplorer.com/]here[/link].

14. Imported

Gold Member

tracksuitboy: [quote author=tracksuitboy link=board=99;num=1068520979;start=0#10 date=11/12/03 at 00:51:53]And can anyone explain SATs?
    [/quote]

OK, let me put it another way: was does SAT stand for?

PS. I know it isn't Saturday Afternooon Tests!

15. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: It's been a while since I had to think about it, but I believe it stands for Scholastic Aptitude Test. It's one of the tools colleges use to evaluate and accept students.

16. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: [quote author=wvalady1968 link=board=99;num=1068520979;start=0#14 date=11/12/03 at 11:56:30]It's been a while since I had to think about it, but I believe it stands for Scholastic Aptitude Test. It's one of the tools colleges use to evaluate and accept students.[/quote]

Heh. You're around my age aren't you?

That was true up until 1993. That year, the College Board changed the name to "Scholastic Assessment Test" to fend off legal challenges. There was concern that the test couldn't be proven to actually measure aptitude, so they renamed it. Now, the test merely 'assesses' . . . something.

Ironically, even this name might overstate the test's true ability. Last month, the College Board announced that -- beginning in 2005, the test will simply be called "SAT" without any claims at all as to what it stands for.

Source: http://www.fairtest.org/facts/satfact.htm

17. jay_too

jay_too New Member

UC Berkeley is leading the charge against the use of SAT scores as primary screening for admission. It is about time; SAT and GRE exams are probably about maturity and time management as scholastic aptitude - maybe even more now that I think about it. Maturity and time management are not hallmarks of 17 and 18-year-olds and probably not of many under 25.

At my high school, we started taking the SAT early so that we could get help if we screwed up the first time. So I went into both SAT and GRE relaxed; if I screwed up, I could take them again and again and. . . I did well on both the first time. So if you go in with the mindset that this is not a make or break event and use your time wisely in taking the test....err, do all the easy ones first.

jay

18. Imported

Gold Member

SpeedoGuy: I was lucky. I didn't have to take the GRE, math or otherwise.

I was a special case. Due to circumstances beyond my control, my application to graduate school went in too late for me to take the last GRE before the fall term began. I explained my situation to the dean of the department who proceded to ask me a few questions on subject matter related to my major and minor. I guess my answers were satisfactory because it didn't take long before he told me I'd been accepted and that the GRE requirement was waived.

Wahoo!

SG

19. Imported

Gold Member

tracksuitboy: [quote author=mindseye link=board=99;num=1068520979;start=0#15 date=11/12/03 at 12:24:41]
    Source:  http://www.fairtest.org/facts/satfact.htm
     [/quote]

Thanks WVA and Mindseye.  The UK introduced SATs some years ago (yes, we apparantly have to copy everything the USA does!) but nobody was able to tell me what the initials stand for.  Now I find out that they stand for ... nothing.

To quote fairtest.org:

Initially titled the Scholastic Aptitude Test and then the Scholastic Assessment Test, it is now officially named just SAT because of uneasiness at ETS and the College Board about defining just what the test measures. "SAT is not an initialism; it does not stand for anything," say the testmakers.

Is it me or is this just plain stupid?  You take a test but no one can decide whether it's any use, but we'll keep it anyway and just to prove how stupid the idea is, the name of the test will have no meaning whatsoever.   ???

20. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: [quote author=mindseye link=board=99;num=1068520979;start=0#15 date=11/12/03 at 12:24:41]Heh.  You're around my age aren't you?  [/quote]

Yuck! Busted!! A gentleman doesn't do that to a lady!

:D

Allie

Draft saved Draft deleted