Great Conversation

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Steve_McSizequeen, Aug 21, 2011.

1. D_Steve_McSizequeen

D_Steve_McSizequeen New Member

hey everyone,

so me and my friends had this discussion join on earlier about what makes a great conversation and what are certain social skills or cues you gradually learn over time. Either it be in a situation where you barely know the person or even if you've known the person your whole life. I think one of the obvious big conversation killer is someone that talks way to fast/slow and who seems to abandon conversation by letting em drop. What do you guys think?

2. B_JenniTalia

B_JenniTalia New Member

Albums:
    Careful pacing, intonation, smart vocabulary, dynamic and balanced views on the subject at hand.

3. shr1125

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree completely.

I'd add that a willingness to have a conversation must exist in both parties as well. Too often, I've been stuck on a long-distance car ride with someone who's not interested in talking. Miserable. Regardless of how much I tried to engage them in a conversation, I got nothing in return.

SHR

4. Daichii

Daichii New Member

Albums:
    Posture. Quick glances. Short sentences. Check phone. Look left right like waiting for someone. Squint like in disgust. Check phone. Progress with back turned. Walk away.

5. wintry_mix

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    intuitive grasp of structure between the participants, ability to communicate novel ideas through the crisp use of analogy, the acknowledgment/acceptance of whether the particular conversation will be based on building consensus or adversarial back-and-forth (even if friendly)

6. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

Having a working brain helps. Next is being someone who has ideas, opinions and the ability to express them. It's called being educated.

7. wintry_mix

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    say what you will about the focused jerkiness of christopher hitchens and some of his really annoying political stances in the past. he has always been a talented enough writer and contrarian that his columns are must reads, not to mention his abilities behind the podium. now that he is battling cancer, his pieces have taken on a wholly different tone. his article last may in vanity fair, in which he discusses losing his voice, is an amazing piece of writing. in particular, though, he talks about no longer being able to hold conversations with friends. i read it only shortly after posting in this thread, and was surprised by its relevance.

8. psguy64

Gold Member

all the above and I add TOV = tone of voice.

9. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    I support Hung Jon's reply.

Everyone has an opinion on a few subjects. I enjoy a great discussion with most anyone.

10. ConanTheBarber

Gold Member

The one essential is intense interest in the person you're talking to.
    People are not all of equal interest but, that said, you can become interested in anyone. And that interest is conveyed. And soon, the person will start saying some remarkable things that you wouldn't have expected to hear.
    Not always.
    But very often, this works.
    And the intense focus you give to the other person actually will relax you.

11. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    Face to Face is the ultimate i feel, in regards to conversation / communication
    all other forms leads to so many variables / confusion
    (i have found - obviously not practical) but we all do our best huh?
    enz

12. umami_tsunami

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Listening carefully = sine qua non of good conversation. I have trained myself to listen carefully. I don't waste time in conversation with those that do not make an effort to reciprocate.

Other important contributors to great conversation: wit, intelligent diction, eye contact, enunciation, enthusiasm.

Draft saved Draft deleted