Great Sci-Fi Movies

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Men in Black was okay, maybe even good, for what it was. I wouldn't really classify it as sci-fi, though. Not unless Ghostbusters is sci-fi.

I liked Mystery Men better personally. "I shovel well!" :biggrin1:

"May the forks be with you!" :biggrin1:

- - - - - - - - - -

Ghostbusters was occult oriented, whereas MIB was alien oriented. Therefore, technically speaking, Ghostbusters probably belongs in the horror genre along with NOTLD and others...

Although one COULD argue that Ghostbusters was fantasy...

And fantasy is often lumped in with sci-fi...

So you're probably right. :tongue::rolleyes:

I have other movies. I even have Brokeback Mountain. :rolleyes:

I like movies. I am kicking back money to get CLOVERFIELD and 30 DAYS OF NIGHT when they get released on DVD.

You have THAT movie???!! I didn't see it yet... I'm sure I would have cried all night! :tongue::biggrin1:

I was going to see Cloverfield with my boys, but they said their friends said it sucked. So we saw something else.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
The template of MYSTERY MEN was THE SEVEN SAMURI, which I found that many many people missed. It's not obvious, but its there.

MYSTERY MEN is one of a handful of genre items I like that everyone thinks are bad films: SPACEHUNTER: IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE, THE ICE PIRATES, MOM AND DAD SAVE THE WORLD...they may be awkward, but they have an internal conforming logic that prevents them from being totally trashy.

Having seen the BBC serial version of HITCHHIKER, it spoiled the film for me, because I already had preconceived notions about what everything should look like, sound like and feel like. I can offer that THE QUATERMASS AND THE PIT serial spoiled the film (called FIVE MILLIONS YEARS TO EARTH in the USA), which was understandable: three hours of information and drama jelled down to an hour and a half...

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The template of MYSTERY MEN was THE SEVEN SAMURI, which I found that many many people missed. It's not obvious, but its there.

MYSTERY MEN is one of a handful of genre items I like that everyone thinks are bad films: SPACEHUNTER: IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE, THE ICE PIRATES, MOM AND DAD SAVE THE WORLD...they may be awkward, but they have an internal conforming logic that prevents them from being totally trashy.

Having seen the BBC serial version of HITCHHIKER, it spoiled the film for me, because I already had preconceived notions about what everything should look like, sound like and feel like. I can offer that THE QUATERMASS AND THE PIT serial spoiled the film (called FIVE MILLIONS YEARS TO EARTH in the USA), which was understandable: three hours of information and drama jelled down to an hour and a half...

Hey, great films you've listed. And FINALLY have met someone who saw Mom and Dad Save the World. I loved that film...Jon Lovitz made me piss my pants!!!!!

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
I love Mystery Men!! Very underrated.

Each person in the movie was great; Greg Kinnear's Captain Hero (drove around in a limo with a servant and had sponsorships), Hank Azaria's Blue Raja (a British fork thrower who was really a dorky guy with an fake accent living in his mom's basement), Ben Stiller's Mr. Furious (Acted like a tough guy, but really anything but that), Willaim H. Macy's The Shoveller (God gave him a gift to shovel well, that's it), Paul Reuben's The Spleen (Cursed by a gypsie to fart at will), Janeane Garoffalo's The Bowler (Can hurl a bowling ball posessed by the soul of her dead hero father).

It's just a very creative movie.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have other movies. I even have Brokeback Mountain. :rolleyes:

I like movies. I am kicking back money to get CLOVERFIELD and 30 DAYS OF NIGHT when they get released on DVD.

You have THAT movie???!! I didn't see it yet... I'm sure I would have cried all night! :tongue::biggrin1:

I was going to see Cloverfield with my boys, but they said their friends said it sucked. So we saw something else.

Yeah I bought THAT movie. :smile: It was $5.00. So, I bought it (I wasn't buying the movie at full price.) After seeing it at the movies, I was really disappointed. I didn't cry at all. I did buy the BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN motion picture soundtrack though. I like film scores.

I cried when I saw PHILADELPHIA at the movies. I didn't EVEN make it to the credits. (I don't buy movies that make me cry. I don't own that movie.)

CLOVERFIELD was good. I wished that it were longer and that the monster was shown more. I am glad the monster didn't look like GODZILLA.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Damn Invisibleman, that sure is a hell of a collection!

Here is my top ten:

1). Blade Runner is my favorite Sci-Fi movie of all time. i bought the new crazy edition that comes in a big box and shit... I haven't watched it yet though... I am really lame.

2). The second has to be one of Invisibleman's picks... Dune, what a cinematic tour de force, fucking INCREDIBLE!!!!

3). 2001 is obviously the shit... the visuals alone are worth the price of the DVD!

4). Solaris
is one of my favorites also... the original Russian version from the 70's was pretty fucking cool and almost as enjoyable as the remake.

5). Nick4444 mentioned the Brother From Another Planet, John Sayles can do no wrong as far as I am conerned.

6). The original Alien was AMAZING!

7). Gattica and 8). Equilibrium are excellent sci-fi movies as well.

9). And who can forget Saturn 3 with Farrah Fawcett?

10). Or Disney's The Black Hole?

Oh... I forgot The Thing(1982), too fucking cool!

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I saw Jumper last night. I'm not sure if it's sci-fi, but I thought I'd mention it. It's about this guy who could teleport to any place that he's seen. I wish that he would have teleported to the center of the sun -- this movie sucked. Of course they showed sweeping shots of him standing on the Giza pyramids, on the edge of the Grand Canyon, at the top of the Empire State building, making it seem like a cheesy Janet Jackson video.

Apparently the ability to teleport allows one to be electrocuted, fall about 2 stories and land on your back, and get bashed around all without getting injured.

The ending was horrible: this is clearly a prequel.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
similar to how every vampire awakes from his transformation as a master of the martial arts :)
I guess producers (movies and tv) insist on seeing buttkicking. I think it gets boring and pretty much all looks the same.

JUMPER is clearly a lift from HEROES. That's was 'bound' to happen.

Reviews of the film were mixed, many stating that it doesn't hold up well to logical examination--as in why does a group of people really want to kill someone with those skills?

I would have prefered to watch Heroes. Damn I miss that show! As far as the logical examination, I agree with you. Also the physical examination, I mean... thermodynamically, where do they get the energy to jump, let alone take things with them. I guess they are eating their red meat.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
similar to how every vampire awakes from his transformation as a master of the martial arts :)

Not to mention dark, handsome and suave. Every one of them. :biggrin1:

Vampires are so freaky. Humping on the ceiling. Humping on top of pack of wolves and not making those dogs bite the shit out of them when doing so. They are so hot looking they don't even cast a reflection in the mirror.
And they have taste. You rarely see Whoopi Goldberg or Ernest Borghnine get bit by vampires.

You go into their boudoir and they have fog machines and thunder and lightning effects in there. That is SEKSEY.

Every one of them suave motherfuckers have Prince ruffle shirts unbuttoned...showing their hairy chests. Half the bears in North Carolina have been fucked by a vampire of some sort. That fucker in DELIVERANCE was a vampire. HE had to be.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Vampires are so freaky. Humping on the ceiling. Humping on top of pack of wolves and not making those dogs bite the shit out of them when doing so. They are so hot looking they don't even cast a reflection in the mirror.
And they have taste. You rarely see Whoopi Goldberg or Ernest Borghnine get bit by vampires.

You go into their boudoir and they have fog machines and thunder and lightning effects in there. That is SEKSEY.

Every one of them suave motherfuckers have Prince ruffle shirts unbuttoned...showing their hairy chests. Half the bears in North Carolina have been fucked by a vampire of some sort. That fucker in DELIVERANCE was a vampire. HE had to be.

:rofl:

That's the best laugh i've had all day. Thanks, I needed that.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ghostbusters was occult oriented, whereas MIB was alien oriented. Therefore, technically speaking, Ghostbusters probably belongs in the horror genre along with NOTLD and others...

Although one COULD argue that Ghostbusters was fantasy...

And fantasy is often lumped in with sci-fi...

Erroneously, yes, fantasy (Star Wars) often gets lumped in with science fiction.

I was saying that both Ghostbusters and MIB were much more fantasy than science fiction. MIB had aliens in it, sure, but it wasn't even attempting to be believable. Real science fiction is supposed to present a version of reality that could happen within our understanding of science. At least according to one team of writers' poor understanding of science. But the MIB creative team obviously was not trying for that at all. It would be no less realistic if there were ghosts and magic spells in it.

re: Jumper. Hayden Christiansen is such a god-awful bloody obnoxious actor. I won't see this movie. The terrible reviews don't surprise me.

also Cloverfield did suck

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
Damn Invisibleman, that sure is a hell of a collection!

Here is my top ten:

1). Blade Runner is my favorite Sci-Fi movie of all time. i bought the new crazy edition that comes in a big box and shit... I haven't watched it yet though... I am really lame.

2). The second has to be one of Invisibleman's picks... Dune, what a cinematic tour de force, fucking INCREDIBLE!!!!

3). 2001 is obviously the shit... the visuals alone are worth the price of the DVD!

4). Solaris is one of my favorites also... the original Russian version from the 70's was pretty fucking cool and almost as enjoyable as the remake.

5). Nick4444 mentioned the Brother From Another Planet, John Sayles can do no wrong as far as I am conerned.

6). The original Alien was AMAZING!

7). Gattica and 8). Equilibrium are excellent sci-fi movies as well.

9). And who can forget Saturn 3 with Farrah Fawcett?

10). Or Disney's The Black Hole?

Oh... I forgot The Thing(1982), too fucking cool!

Exuilibrium was wild! Reminded me of Farenheit 451. Plus I am a big Christian Bale fan, that guy just rocks!