Great voices

vinny_spiruccino

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
@ Naughty - why have we not met?? We should change that; you seem cool.

But with regards to your topic... though she is a bit "washed up" here of late, there was a recent release of a Jazz classics recording that Diana Ross made in 1973 - it's really good. When you think about it, she really did define "Diva" there for many years. Too bad she had so many issues...

And not to toot my own horn, but I have a very nice voice as well or so I'm told...

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Vinny,

Miss Ross has a voice that was perfectly matched with the muted trumpet sound of Billy Holiday. So... of course, she was probably wonderful. Though her voice was and is not one of my favorites, I can not think of early childhood without thinking of her.... Honey, I am cool . Yes, I have heard you have a wonderful voice as well. It seems good news travels fast.....

vinny_spiruccino said:
@ Naughty - why have we not met?? We should change that; you seem cool.

But with regards to your topic... though she is a bit "washed up" here of late, there was a recent release of a Jazz classics recording that Diana Ross made in 1973 - it's really good. When you think about it, she really did define "Diva" there for many years. Too bad she had so many issues...

And not to toot my own horn, but I have a very nice voice as well or so I'm told...

vinny_spiruccino

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
naughty said:
Vinny,

Miss Ross has a voice that was perfectly matched with the muted trumpet sound of Billy Holiday. So... of course, she was probably wonderful. Though her voice was and is not one of my favorites, I can not think of early childhood without thinking of her.... Honey, I am cool . Yes, I have heard you have a wonderful voice as well. It seems good news travels fast.....

Well MEOW boo-boo-kitty! I hear you about Ms. Ross... an acquired taste I suppose. Though a totally different genre, if you like the rough sound, no one can touch Tina... she's one of my all time fav's. And you can't touch Aretha. Or Shirley Caesar if you're into gospel.

So you heard I had a good voice huh?

**Now where would she have heard that?**

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LOL!

Yeah I have. As for where I got my info...I have my sources....

vinny_spiruccino said:
Well MEOW boo-boo-kitty! I hear you about Ms. Ross... an acquired taste I suppose. Though a totally different genre, if you like the rough sound, no one can touch Tina... she's one of my all time fav's. And you can't touch Aretha. Or Shirley Caesar if you're into gospel.

So you heard I had a good voice huh?

**Now where would she have heard that?**

Wonderboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I like Sophie B Hawkins...thus the new signature.

I seem to like songs with 'Lover' in the name...hmm.

Andrew Strong, from The Commitments has a great voice. But Naughty told me he was putting it on/trying to sound American. Still a good voice though :D

The Commitments aren't a real band by the way...they're fictional and were a band in a movie but the soundtrack is the songs they covered and its awesome.

Eric Martin is another favourite... www.ericmartin.com Scroll down and select the Sweetwater video! His voice is the best its been in awhile. Hard to believe he's 46?? He's also a good PERFORMER :)

He's really great...he can channel soul singers spirits through his body...or so he says. Check the video!!

Also Richie Kotzen.. www.richiekotzen.com select Doin What The Devil Says To Do or my favourite and song with the potential to "kill" - Til You Put Me Down

I also like Marvin Gaye etc and quite a lot of Motown. And strangely, Jack Black (?)

Not many female voices I like except for Sophie B Hawkins, who I REALLY like :D

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Please forgive me all. Much as I think Tina Turner seems like a terribly nice woman I freaking hate her voice. Screech city to me.

Aretha Franklin on the other hand is beyond comparison.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would have to agree with Naughty's post that included Ella Fitzgerald (at least in her pre-scat days). Wow. And she had a tough struggle getting into the business, too. She was turned down by a couple of the popular big band leaders, because she was "not pretty enough" (phrased a bit nicer than they did, as I recall from her biography.)

k. d. lang is one of my all-time favorites, and she pretty much sings any style that suits her at the moment. She has performed with so many of the greats over the years, and Roy Orbison obviously just adored her. The videos I've seen of her with the Honky Tonk Angels looked like they were all having the time of their lives. The duet album with Tony Bennett, though, was a disappointment.

Bonnie Raitt rocks! I am going to see her at Wolf Trap in just a couple of weeks! WOOHOO!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oooh honey!

Bonnie Raitt now that is a woman! Poor Ella, she was a "big, brown girl" lets keep it real, as was the case of Patty but we all see that talent rises to the top. Things turned for Ella when Billy Eckstine taught her scat. KD Lang's is the voice I would most vote to be confused with the mythical siren. It is ironic that she resembles a young Wayne Newton because her voice has a similar quality...

DC_DEEP said:
I would have to agree with Naughty's post that included Ella Fitzgerald (at least in her pre-scat days). Wow. And she had a tough struggle getting into the business, too. She was turned down by a couple of the popular big band leaders, because she was "not pretty enough" (phrased a bit nicer than they did, as I recall from her biography.)

k. d. lang is one of my all-time favorites, and she pretty much sings any style that suits her at the moment. She has performed with so many of the greats over the years, and Roy Orbison obviously just adored her. The videos I've seen of her with the Honky Tonk Angels looked like they were all having the time of their lives. The duet album with Tony Bennett, though, was a disappointment.

Bonnie Raitt rocks! I am going to see her at Wolf Trap in just a couple of weeks! WOOHOO!

Wonderboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sophie+B.jpg

I just really like it.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
naughty said:
KD Lang's is the voice I would most vote to be confused with the mythical siren. It is ironic that she resembles a young Wayne Newton because her voice has a similar quality...

Interesting you note just that comparision naughty.

Both Newton and Lang are partly native American by ancestry and I've noted the similarity in timbre too but you're the first see it too that I've encountered.

I will say (probably because of what she chooses to sing) that Ms Lang's light years beyond Mr. Newton. Some of her sensual stuff.. (there was her song Save Me lip-synced by one of the main characters during the interesting movie Soldier's Girl) which is arguably the most sensual song I've ever heard.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
Interesting you note just that comparision naughty.

Both Newton and Lang are partly native American by ancestry and I've noted the similarity in timbre too but you're the first see it too that I've encountered.

I will say (probably because of what she chooses to sing) that Ms Lang's light years beyond Mr. Newton. Some of her sensual stuff.. (there was her song Save Me lip-synced by one of the main characters during the interesting movie Soldier's Girl) which is arguably the most sensual song I've ever heard.
LOL I thought she looked more like Brent Spiner than Wayne Newton, but that's beside the point....

If you think Save Me is sensual, you should hear her cover of Orbison's Crying or Ron Sexsmith's Fallen. My body and mind were in serious shock after I saw her in concert with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Sensory overload, big time!

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC_DEEP said:
LOL I thought she looked more like Brent Spiner than Wayne Newton, but that's beside the point....

Better still I think KD Lang and Jake Gyllenhaal are the same person! :33:

If you think Save Me is sensual, you should hear her cover of Orbison's Crying or Ron Sexsmith's Fallen. My body and mind were in serious shock after I saw her in concert with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Sensory overload, big time!

You shit! You've seen her in concert. You did have to one better me didn't you.:redface:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stronzo said:
This is especially for you. Generally I'm not a huge fan of Michael Bublé's but this cut (number 4 Quando, Quando, Quando) has that Brazilian feel we both love so much. Nelly Furtado adds so much to it too.

It's his It's Time album.

Stronzo,

Really really nice. That has a really nice bossa nova feel to it, with that softly pulsing guitar and the really intimate mikeing. I love the way Nelly pronounces the world Quando. That the thing with Bossa Nova. Astrud taught us all that its all in how the words are pronounced. Each word is spoken like you are talking into your lover's ear.

Buble is so good for his age. It is only slightly marred by the fact that one can't help expecting the maturity of Sinatra. But that's a problem with the listener, not the singer.

I agree with the Wayne Newton/ KD Lang comparison, but only superficially. Of the two, only KD Lang can make your spine shiver. Nothing like the Torch and Twang album, is there?

The mature Bonnie Raitt is another national treasure. She manages to still sound like the Radcliff girl singing the blues in the T station, but the years have given her an effortless quality and real depth as well. The technology has matured, too, so her in her last few albums, she is equal to the very high production values.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love your taste, Just Asking!

JustAsking said:
Stronzo,

Really really nice. That has a really nice bossa nova feel to it, with that softly pulsing guitar and the really intimate mikeing. I love the way Nelly pronounces the world Quando. That the thing with Bossa Nova. Astrud taught us all that its all in how the words are pronounced. Each word is spoken like you are talking into your lover's ear.

Buble is so good for his age. It is only slightly marred by the fact that one can't help expecting the maturity of Sinatra. But that's a problem with the listener, not the singer.

I agree with the Wayne Newton/ KD Lang comparison, but only superficially. Of the two, only KD Lang can make your spine shiver. Nothing like the Torch and Twang album, is there?

The mature Bonnie Raitt is another national treasure. She manages to still sound like the Radcliff girl singing the blues in the T station, but the years have given her an effortless quality and real depth as well. The technology has matured, too, so her in her last few albums, she is equal to the very high production values.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I got hooked on Eva Cassidy the same way everyone else did in the beginning. Someone gave me the Songbird CD and said, "You gotta hear this." Does this ring a bell with anyone? If she had the chance, I think she would have been great.

I am a sucker for really talented amateurs for some reason, so Eva really grabbed my attention.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
naughty said:
Now if you want to hear a smooth voice listen to this... The incomparable Joe Willliams , the signature voice of the Count Basie Band.

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.aspx?ob=disc&src=art&pid=10732

naughty,
yeah, thats what ah'm talkin 'bout. Its got that warm 40's "phoned in" quality. That shit can only be played on a Girrard changer with a GE VR cartridge and the warm glow of vacuum tubes (monaural, of course). I love that in "Every Day I Have the Blues", the drummer sounds like he is playing for a stripper. That "Teach Me Tonight" is wonderful. In the slam bang introduction, you start expecting Sinatra until mellow Joe comes in.

What amazes me is listening to "Our Love Is Hear to Stay", you really get the idea that people had a lot of time on their hands. You know what I mean? I don't think anyone could possibly sing that relaxed these days. Too much to worry about or something.

There is something interesting about this album. Joe Williams seems to put out a different style on each cut, anticipating singers who came later. He is Mose Allison on Goin to Chicago and Frank Sinatra on Alone Together, and Jonny Mathis on I Was Telling Her.... Its as if these guys sat around listening to Joe Williams to find their styles. I wonder if we listen long enough will we hear KD Lang?

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry, you got me going on this. We can't forget Etta James. The cut is "At Last", of course.

Mose Allison
Classic Mose is the "I Don't Worry About..." cut. Awesome piano playing Mose is the baroque augmented chords intro to "Love For Sale".