Greatest Cult and Oddball movies

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: I know we had a thread a few weeks back about laughably bad movies. It gave me an idea to start a thread about great cult movies. I am interested in watching all of the greats. Any suggestions on which top the list? I've already seen "Rocky Horror Picture Show" over 50 times, though, so don't feel the need to suggest that one. :)

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

You've inspired this movie nut to open his VHS vault:

Bagdad Cafe
    Delicatessen
    Repo Man
    Freaks
    Harold and Maude
    Motel Hell

I'm just getting started but I've gotta leave room for the rest of you guys...

3. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by 'cult', but here are a few suggestions. I was going to limit myself to ten, but ended up with eleven (a la Spinal Tap. Drat; that's twelve!) Let me know if you want more suggestions. ;)

"Classic" cult films:

• Shock Treatment: The sequel (!) to RHPS features more songs, like "Denton USA", and "Little Black Dress". Beware: It's really bad.
    • Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: Genetically-engineered cannibal tomatoes star in this film. There were two sequels, but stick with the original.
    • The Toxic Avenger: Melvin the janitor falls into a vat of toxic waste and transforms...
    • Repo Man: Harry Dean Stanton and Emilio Estevez. Car thief turned repossessor. Plus UFO's!
    • Pink Flamingos: Easily the grossest of John Waters's "cult" films, this is the one that has the infamous (and real) poop-eating scene.
    • Plan 9 From Outer Space: Ed Wood's low-budget sci-fi/horror film. Bela Lugosi died before filming began. Instead of recasting the part, Wood continued using stock footage of Lugosi from a different project, and filming the rest of the movie with a different actor using capes and camera angles to hide the second actor's face. The UFOs? Tin pie plates suspended on a string.

Not-quite-classic, but still cult:

• Joe Versus The Volcano: Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan's first outing, featuring an Abe Vigoda cameo.
    • Stranger Than Paradise: Very off-beat road-trip movie. Tom Waits cameo.
    • Murder By Death: The movie which laid the groundwork for Clue. Truman Capote invites celebrity guests over for a night of murder.
    • I Walked With A Zombie: Jane Eyre with zombies inspired a Roky Erickson song of the same title.
    • Brazil: Sam Lowery's life is ruined by a bug -- an actual bug -- in his government's computer.

4. Synergistic

Synergistic Member

Albums:
    I serious doubt cult, but maybe oddball, but The Pest is just one of those movies with some really memorable parts in it, though some just really that bad.

And Evil Dead 3 is a great cult classic of sorts, the best in the series, and the funniest.

5. Imported

Gold Member

grantstephens: I love "The Gods must be Crazy" :D

6. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

By the way, Shock Treatment isn't THAT bad!  I mean, the script is completely illogical and hard to follow, but the music kicks ass!  Oh, and I would disagree and absolutely call "Brazil" a classic.  Good movies you suggested though.

Funny you mention "Harold and Maude" Pecker.  Of all the movies I've seen, it's got to be one of my favorities.  From all its quirkiness and its unconventional nature, it achieves a unique sentimentality unseen in more common, cliche romantic comedies.

Anyway, thanks!  I've have to check some of these out.  More suggestions are welcome.

7. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Another good cult thing was the Bruce Campbell movies,
    EVIL DEAD, I-III, AND ARMY OF DARKNESS, AND THE SUBSEQUENT PS2 GAME, EVIL DEAD, A FISTFULL OF BOOMSTICK. ;)

8. Imported

Gold Member

dfox7.3x5: I'm with Pecker. Harold and Maude is a timeless classic. For me "Shallow Grave," where I first saw -- and drooled over -- Ewan MacGregor is part of my personal cult collection.

9. jdoe86

Gold Member

Albums:
    The #1 cult movie is: Rocky Horror Picture Show. What movie can still pack a movie theater 25+ years later?

10. Imported

Gold Member

Duo187: My fav has to be the 5th Element.

11. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: Boron?

12. Imported

Gold Member

roedhunt: Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Return of the Living Dead

Yes, I hear they are making a remake.

13. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: [quote author=grantstephens link=board=99;num=1078712496;start=0#4 date=03/08/04 at 12:10:55]I love "The Gods must be Crazy" :D[/quote]
    I just watched this one again and loved it as much as I did the first time I saw it.

Allie
    :-*

14. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

[quote author=roedhunt link=board=99;num=1078712496;start=0#11 date=03/15/04 at 03:24:36]Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Return of the Living Dead

Yes, I hear they are making a remake.[/quote]

Will they will be calling it Evening of the Bored? :-/

15. jay_too

jay_too New Member

My favorites are the Rocky Horror Show, the Gods Must Be Crazy, and one I saw in Europe, Mondo Cane (Spelling?).

16. Imported

Gold Member

roedhunt: [quote author=Pecker link=board=99;num=1078712496;start=0#13 date=03/15/04 at 04:31:46]

Will they will be calling it Evening of the Bored?   :-/
    [/quote]

Now THAT is funny... :D

17. bigstr8bulge

bigstr8bulge Member

"War Games" with Matt Broderick is a classic

18. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

I like to think that the REVENGE OF THE NERDS MOVIES deserve a place somewhere in here, whaddya think? :)

19. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

You know, I've found it completely impossible to put a Nerd's laugh in print form!? :p

Here are some more Oddballs from my VHS collection:

Being There

The Butcher Boy
    - astonishing study of a boy's madness

Blood of a Poet - from 1930, a study of the surreal happenings that occur while a chimney falls

20. Imported

Gold Member

rockabilly_guy: Female Trouble--John Waters. A classic!

Draft saved Draft deleted