Greek Statues = small penises

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Wish-4-8, May 8, 2009.

1. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Why is that? They make a statue with a perfect body, but the penis is on the small size, and it is consitent throughout.

And African statues, quite the oppisite. Those statues have an exaggerated large penis.

Some of you here are really intelligent. Does anyone know what contributes to these standards of beauty?

THIS IS NOT A COMPARISON OF WHICH RACE HAS A BIGGER PENIS!!!
    I want to know why this is reflected in the art that the cultures produce.

2. hoggindaz

hoggindaz New Member

its just a cultural thing, where smaller penises were considered more aesthetic, and the large penises were seen as comical.

3. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Thats right. In the Italian, Comedia di Arte, large phalluses were used as comedy props.

4. B_spotted_duck

B_spotted_duck New Member

If you want to know more than you ever wanted to know about Greek conceptions of penis and foreskin size, see:
    The Ideal Prepuce in Ancient Greece and Rome

This scholar had too much time on his hands.

The Perfect Body: an excerpt from Love, Sex and Tragedy: How the Ancient World Shapes Our Lives by Simon Goldhill
    One detail: younger bodies are considered more perfect, so maybe things haven't even grown in yet.

Not all figures had small penises-- look up Priapus, the god of fertility (whose primary icon was an erection).

Heavenly Hard-Ons
    Also an interesting read.

One more thought: Greek comedies, especially so-called "satyr plays", often featured characters running around with large wooden erections-- think 2-3 feet long. I think huge erections were considered a) a sign that your appetites are out of proportion b) absurd and therefore comical...

#4 B_spotted_duck, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. OffTLeash

OffTLeash Member

African phallical statues were made as signs for fertility, meaning they were spiritual not sexual or comical

6. ScorpioSlut

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I would have to second everything that has been said here. In the African case they are spiritual fertility related icons. And the greek side has been explained quite well. The smaller penis here is a symbol of self-control and moderation which were highly valued in greek society.

7. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    It wasn't just the ancient Greeks and Romans. The Renaissance ideal had the same arrangement. large penises were considered vulgar.

FWIW, I happen to prefer very modestly-hung guys with extra overhang. I'm here because I have a big dick, not because I have any real interest in other big cut dicks.

I had a fuckbud about three years ago who was handsome, well-built, fabulous ass and was about 4" hard (and all foreskin); sexually we were a perfect fit. It was fun while it lasted <sigh>.

8. ericbythebay

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's cultural. And the Church had 2000 years to destroy anything it thought was objectionable.

A few years back, I was in Paris for work and I had some free time. So I went to the Louvre and did a photo essay of male physic throughout history, or "dicks of the Louvre" as my partner and I called it.

I photographed every object I could find with a nude male. I should really post the pictures somewhere sometime.

9. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

Have you ever been to Prague? There are "penis's" everywhere. One in particular is in a fairly residential area over a building which use to be a market. There is a guy on one side of the entrance and a girl on the other. The guy has the largest penis EVER on a statue. It's huge. I'll have to go take a photo of it to show you. I know most are "normal" sizes but this one is over the top! A must see when visiting Prague.

10. hunGreek

hunGreek Member

11. D_Jerry_Atric

D_Jerry_Atric Account Disabled

The ancient Greeks found a small or tiny penis to be a thing of aesthetic beauty on adult men and in artwork, and large cocks were seen as comical or grotesque in art.

12. Dooky

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    my how times change!

13. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Very interesting. I found some of the linked stuff complicated. I guess Beardedwolf summed it up in a sentence. Thanks eveyone.

14. dean88

dean88 New Member

15. B_ZACKD89

B_ZACKD89 New Member

Another point to consider: Many penises on Greek statues were destroyed by Christians who found them indecent, so what remains today is not a full representation.

16. turnstall

turnstall New Member

looking back at the scuplters i believe they were average in size. perhaps your perception of small has been distrorted from too much time associating with the penis images found on this site.

17. hud01

Gold Member

That is what I was thinking

18. D_uri dikulus

D_uri dikulus New Member

A lot of statues do in fact have smaller cocks on them. They were made that way on purpose. Most Greek statues were of the gods, and isn't it a nice feeling to know you have a bigger package then god. It's really as simple as that.

19. justcurious80

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    actually, some of the gods were portrayed with large penises like Priapus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    priupus who was cursed by hera with a large permanenetly erect penis, rendering him impotent. he was then forced to live on earth and was humiliated by the townsfolk. so most mortals had small penises in greek art and mythology, which were seen as better.

20. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
    The ancient Greeks had small penises. This is why they enjoyed sodomizing young boys over sex with their wives. Ancient Greek society also put a great deal of emphasis on domination and equated it with sexual satisfaction. Due to their small size they were often incapable of satisfying women in the way they defined satisfaction. In spite of the penis being small and unable to facilitate such "satisfaction" in grown women, sex with young boys would often result in pain to the recipient, hence domination (satisfaction). Greek statues are simply a depiction of the body type at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted