Greek Statues = small penises

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why is that? They make a statue with a perfect body, but the penis is on the small size, and it is consitent throughout.

And African statues, quite the oppisite. Those statues have an exaggerated large penis.

Some of you here are really intelligent. Does anyone know what contributes to these standards of beauty?

THIS IS NOT A COMPARISON OF WHICH RACE HAS A BIGGER PENIS!!!
I want to know why this is reflected in the art that the cultures produce.

Water dragon

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In ancient Greece an uncircumcised and small penis was culturally seen as desirable in a man, whereas a bigger or circumcised penis was viewed as comical or grotesque (at least in the high-brow view), usually being found on "fertility gods, half-animal critters such as satyrs, ugly old men, and barbarians.

Ancient Romans had a viewpoint contrary to that of the Greeks. This was also the case in medieval Arabic literature, where a longer penis was preferred, as described in an Arabian Nights tale called "Ali with the Large Member". As a witty satire of this fantasy, the 9th century Afro-Arab author Al-Jahiz wrote: "If the length of the penis were a sign of honor, then the mule would belong to the (honorable tribe of) Quraysh".

:cool::biggrin1:

Reactions: Peacemusic

hoggindaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
its just a cultural thing, where smaller penises were considered more aesthetic, and the large penises were seen as comical.

B_spotted_duck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why is that? They make a statue with a perfect body, but the penis is on the small size, and it is consitent throughout.

And African statues, quite the oppisite. Those statues have an exaggerated large penis.

Some of you here are really intelligent. Does anyone know what contributes to these standards of beauty?

THIS IS NOT A COMPARISON OF WHICH RACE HAS A BIGGER PENIS!!!
I want to know why this is reflected in the art that the cultures produce.

If you want to know more than you ever wanted to know about Greek conceptions of penis and foreskin size, see:
The Ideal Prepuce in Ancient Greece and Rome

This scholar had too much time on his hands.

The Perfect Body: an excerpt from Love, Sex and Tragedy: How the Ancient World Shapes Our Lives by Simon Goldhill
One detail: younger bodies are considered more perfect, so maybe things haven't even grown in yet.

Not all figures had small penises-- look up Priapus, the god of fertility (whose primary icon was an erection).

Heavenly Hard-Ons
Also an interesting read.

One more thought: Greek comedies, especially so-called "satyr plays", often featured characters running around with large wooden erections-- think 2-3 feet long. I think huge erections were considered a) a sign that your appetites are out of proportion b) absurd and therefore comical...

Last edited:

OffTLeash

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
African phallical statues were made as signs for fertility, meaning they were spiritual not sexual or comical

ScorpioSlut

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I would have to second everything that has been said here. In the African case they are spiritual fertility related icons. And the greek side has been explained quite well. The smaller penis here is a symbol of self-control and moderation which were highly valued in greek society.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It wasn't just the ancient Greeks and Romans. The Renaissance ideal had the same arrangement. large penises were considered vulgar.

FWIW, I happen to prefer very modestly-hung guys with extra overhang. I'm here because I have a big dick, not because I have any real interest in other big cut dicks.

I had a fuckbud about three years ago who was handsome, well-built, fabulous ass and was about 4" hard (and all foreskin); sexually we were a perfect fit. It was fun while it lasted <sigh>.

ericbythebay

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It's cultural. And the Church had 2000 years to destroy anything it thought was objectionable.

A few years back, I was in Paris for work and I had some free time. So I went to the Louvre and did a photo essay of male physic throughout history, or "dicks of the Louvre" as my partner and I called it.

I photographed every object I could find with a nude male. I should really post the pictures somewhere sometime.

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Have you ever been to Prague? There are "penis's" everywhere. One in particular is in a fairly residential area over a building which use to be a market. There is a guy on one side of the entrance and a girl on the other. The guy has the largest penis EVER on a statue. It's huge. I'll have to go take a photo of it to show you. I know most are "normal" sizes but this one is over the top! A must see when visiting Prague.

hunGreek

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
9202a8c04000641f8000000004a83e12

D_Jerry_Atric

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The ancient Greeks found a small or tiny penis to be a thing of aesthetic beauty on adult men and in artwork, and large cocks were seen as comical or grotesque in art.

B_ZACKD89

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Another point to consider: Many penises on Greek statues were destroyed by Christians who found them indecent, so what remains today is not a full representation.

turnstall

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
looking back at the scuplters i believe they were average in size. perhaps your perception of small has been distrorted from too much time associating with the penis images found on this site.

D_uri dikulus

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A lot of statues do in fact have smaller cocks on them. They were made that way on purpose. Most Greek statues were of the gods, and isn't it a nice feeling to know you have a bigger package then god. It's really as simple as that.

justcurious80

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
A lot of statues do in fact have smaller cocks on them. They were made that way on purpose. Most Greek statues were of the gods, and isn't it a nice feeling to know you have a bigger package then god. It's really as simple as that.

actually, some of the gods were portrayed with large penises like Priapus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
priupus who was cursed by hera with a large permanenetly erect penis, rendering him impotent. he was then forced to live on earth and was humiliated by the townsfolk. so most mortals had small penises in greek art and mythology, which were seen as better.