Green Lantern to light up the big screen

Discussion in 'Celebrity Endowments' started by edonline, Oct 29, 2007.

1. edonline

Gold Member

Forget Batman and Superman, I was always a big Green Lantern fan and have been waiting a long time for a GL movie. Hope this works out and the movies isn't too bad. (Not to mention that Hal Jordan always showed a nice basket whenever he ws drawn as GL!)

-----

Green Lantern to light up the big screen | Entertainment | Film | Reuters

Green Lantern to light up the big screen
    Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:44am EDT
    By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Everwood" creator Greg Berlanti has signed a deal to co-write and direct a live-action feature adaptation of DC Comics' superhero "Green Lantern."

While several incarnations of the character have existed sinc his creation in 1940, the Warner Bros. movie will focus on the Lantern embodied by Hal Jordan, a test pilot who finds a downed alien spacecraft. A dying alien passes his ring to Jordan, introducing the man to a wider world that includes an interstellar police force known as the Green Lantern Corps and its overseers, the Guardians of the Universe, who live on the planet Oa.

Like any superhero, the Lantern has a weakness, the color yellow, and was known for reciting an oath when charging his ring.

"To me, this was on the last great comic book movie that hasn't been made," said Berlanti, who grew up reading comics in the 1980s. "It was a comic book with a real mythology that you would see in a lot of the space operas and the sci-fi books. The best part about it, anybody can be become one of the Green Lanterns because anyone can end up with that ring."

Berlanti met with DC Comics a year ago about bringing the hero to the big screen. He brought on board co-writers Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green, fellow comic book fans he met when working on "Jack & Bobby," the WB Network series he co-created, and worked for months to develop a story, with DC Comics senior vp Gregory Noveck helping shape it as the trio went along.

When they went in to pitch, Berlanti had a concept artist draw up 30 images of key scenes and images to help sell to the studio the movie he wanted to direct. He also pitched Warners brass a series of movies, with the first being an origin of how Jordan becomes a member of the intergalactic police force.

The biggest challenge in setting up "Lantern" was waiting for the technology to become available to create fantastical worlds as well as overcoming the prejudice of a ring-bearing hero.

"The danger and the fear from a lot of people is that it would be silly," said Berlanti. "In these post-'Harry Potter' and 'Lord of the Rings' days, it's not any more fantastical than that. It's taken movies like that to make it feel as if a Green Lantern film is possible."

Berlanti is already busy executive producing the ABC shows "Dirty Sexy Money," "Brothers & Sisters" and the upcoming "Eli Stone," a midseason legal drama he co-created with Guggenheim.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

2. Wave

Wave Member

Yeah, Green Lantern is super cool in most of his incarnations, though I didn't like that shaved head Guy Gardner dude in the 80s too much. The JLA cartoons have the black version, who is very cool and loves HawkGirl.

a great character if they write him correctly. really powerful too! :biggrin1:

3. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    So who would we want to play Green Lanter?

For me it would depend on which Green Lantern they would put on the screen:

Hal Jordan = Richard Dean Anderson or Scott Bakula

Kyle Rayner = Jamie Bamber (Battlestar Gallactica) or Josh Duhamel

John Stewart = The guy from Shaft OR Wesley Snipes

Guy Gardner = I can almost, ALMOST, see Hulk Hogan as Guy Gardner, but not quite. A young Dolph Lungren could do it, too. I'm not sure who I would cast from today's list of actors.

4. davec94

davec94 Member

green lantern would do well on this site, unless the woman used too much fake-tanning cream.

5. edonline

Gold Member

I remember reading a rumor MANY years ago saying that a studio wanted Kevin Costner to play GL. I'm assuming it would have been Hal Jordan.

Draft saved Draft deleted