Verified
Gold
Media
Norwalk, California, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
ST. GEORGE'S, Grenada - Bikini- and Speedo-clad tourists beware.

The Caribbean island of Grenada says it recently began enforcing an indecent exposure law banning bathing suits away from the beach, as well as saggy pants that reveal the underwear.

Police commissioner James Clarkson says violators are usually just ordered to cover up. But the law allows for a $270 fine or six months in jail.
At least a few locals are contesting fines.

Clarkson said Friday that cruise ships usually inform passengers of proper non-beach attire, but "from time to time, there is the one or two who take their chances."

He said a few months ago police ordered several tourists wearing swimwear at a fort to return to their cruise ship and put on some clothes.

From Associated Press
January 10, 2009 3:19 PM EST

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Don't know if swimwear in this case is bikini's, which people in most other places would not usually wear away from the beach, or board shorts, which would not be so reasonable to object to.

A year ago, they got into the news for someone in the government objecting to a gay cruise ship docking, then deciding to welcome it, after a bit of discussion with the Canadian government.

I have looked into living there, my family has some land I could build on, but decided it was not a very good place for a gay person. (I haven't been there)

systemshock3

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Don't know if swimwear in this case is bikini's, which people in most other places would not usually wear away from the beach, or board shorts, which would not be so reasonable to object to.

A year ago, they got into the news for someone in the government objecting to a gay cruise ship docking, then deciding to welcome it, after a bit of discussion with the Canadian government.

I have looked into living there, my family has some land I could build on, but decided it was not a very good place for a gay person. (I haven't been there)

Hmm, will have to mark that down as one more place NOT to go on Vacation. Hmph.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ST. GEORGE'S, Grenada - Bikini- and Speedo-clad tourists beware.

The Caribbean island of Grenada says it recently began enforcing an indecent exposure law banning bathing suits away from the beach, as well as saggy pants that reveal the underwear.
Good for them! Lots of communities have banned droopy pants that show underwear here in the states. As for wearing swimsuits away from the beach :wtf2: I grew up down the shore in NJ and that's what beach coverups are for. Before running into the local burger joint or supermarket you put on shorts and a t-shirt or throw a little sundress on over the swimsuit.

Police commissioner James Clarkson says violators are usually just ordered to cover up. But the law allows for a $270 fine or six months in jail.
At least a few locals are contesting fines.

Clarkson said Friday that cruise ships usually inform passengers of proper non-beach attire, but "from time to time, there is the one or two who take their chances."

He said a few months ago police ordered several tourists wearing swimwear at a fort to return to their cruise ship and put on some clothes.
I see nothing wrong with this. Some people have become way too lax in their apparel choices. :cool: I am not prone to skimpy swimwear. I like to stick with a modest one-piece sometimes even a skirted one piece :smile: However, I wouldn't dream of wearing just that and my Teva's off the cruise ship and trekking across the island and various ruins. Just because one is on vacation doesn't mean you leave your brain at home.

Banning drooping pants is illegal in the US. The communities that do it here aren't consulting the town attorney before they do it. They will spend thousands of their residents' money defending civil suits brought by the illegally arrested, convicted, and fined or imprisoned.

Some islands are more conservative than others. It pays to remember that though tiny, most islands are sovereign nations and so either respect their laws or leave. Non-citizens in foreign legal systems are the stuff of nightmares.