Greying Hair, Whats the opinion?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have also read that the dyes in hair dye are not all that good for your body, and if you have any problems with depression the chemicals can exacerbate it.
:rofl: Prove it! :cool:

When I was a freshman at Virginia State University back in the early 1980's one of my professors actually stated that hair dyes and relaxers caused brain damage. :tongue: She told us to stop using Jheri curls and other relaxers & stick with the good old fashioned press-N-curl. We all thought she was nuts as she would go off on tangents about this during every single class. Finally, right before Thanksgiving break we went to class and she wasn't there. Turns out someone had reported her to the Dean and she had been observed and deemed unfit for the classroom. She took an early retirement to a sanitarium and everyone in all her classes got B's.

So until I see legitimate, scientific proof that Grecian Formula or Miss Clairol exacerbate depression, cause cancer, or cause some other form of crazy I shall continue to use my Wella Cinnamon Brown with the 20 Developer lift. :cool: :biggrin1:

1NiceRod

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay

So until I see legitimate, scientific proof that Grecian Formula or Miss Clairol exacerbate depression, cause cancer, or cause some other form of crazy I shall continue to use my Wella Cinnamon Brown with the 20 Developer lift. :cool: :biggrin1:

Origonal Grecian Formula was bad because it used lead to cover the grey hair. Lead poisoning is definitely not good. Current Grecian Formula uses something else so the lead poisoning isn't an issue.

I dye my beard only because the grey is not evenly distributed. It is more in patches. It ends up looking like some mutant calico cat. The girl who cuts my hair once told me to choose a dye color that was one or 2 shades lighter than my natural color. That way the dark hairs won't be affected but the grey/white hairs will pick up some color. Hence, it is more or a natural variation in color rather than the classic uniform color that is a tell tale sign of a dye job.

I'm 28 and I've got quite a few grays all over, and it doesn't bother me at all. I've gotten lots of compliments on it. I colored it once, but it looked too artificial. I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of gray... it actually looks kinda hot on some guys.

Got quite a few greys myself. Never wanted to dye it - wondered about it recently, but most ppl seem to like it (or are being polite) hahaha.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The gray doesn't matter to me personally, whether on myself or other guys. My only preference with the hair is that it would be a short, clean-cut look.

As far as the dye, I dyed my hair blond in my late 20s just for the hell of it back when I had a full head of hair. Once I did it, I didn't like it and buzzed it short with a pair of clippers and let it grow out. A friend of mine is Sicilian Italian with dark coloring. I dye her hair black once a month, and it looks good on her. For guys who want to cover the gray, the important thing would be to choose a color that will go with your coloring without screaming DYE JOB a mile away.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Well just to be a bit controversial, I've coloured my hair for years, originally it was just for fun, but in my early twenties I started getting a lot of grey hairs, I'm thirty now and I'm basically salt and pepper, it's a family thing my uncles and grand father also went grey very early. It can look really sexy on some guys, but for some reason it just doesn't look right. So I colour it. only to my own natural colour or something similar, and I get it done expensively and professionally so the bad dye job look is something I've mercifully avoided. I also have them use natural colourants and non-ammonia based too.

When I tell people, friends I've known for years in some cases, that I get my hair coloured they're amazed because they thought it was naturally this colour. If I grow it out it looks incredibly aging, and as soon as I have it freshened up I get loads of compliments about how healthy I'm looking.

It's weird, I have been through periods when I didn't bother colouring it, and let the greys show, but whenever I've succumbed and gone back to colouring I've always been really glad I did because it gives me back my actual age appearance again instead of making me look a bit tired and aged. I figure that at thirty I have many decades to come in which I can be comfortable with being grey, because it will be appropriate to my age, right now, I just want to enjoy looking my age.

Last edited:

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you do, spend the money and get it done professionally, don't do the $10 just for men thing. And do the upkeep. A women can color her hair purple or orange and it's no big deal. If a man's doesn't look perfect, he just looks like an idiot.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
It is what it is, so I'm letting it go gray (and away). Green grass doesn't grow on a busy highway anyhow.

D_Doe_Ray_Mi

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I started seeing some white, not gray hairs in my mid forties and received lots of "distinguished" comments. my beard on my chin turned white a couple of years ago and didn't like how that aged me. I tried the beard dye but what a hassle and you know how fast your beard grows. I had to dye it every three days. I am salt & pepper now and get appreciative comments regularly. If I could go back, I wouldn't consider dying my hair.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that any hair dye on men between light and dark brown has an unnatural hue to it which is even worse when seen out in the sunlight?

Well just to be a bit controversial, I've coloured my hair for years, originally it was just for fun, but in my early twenties I started getting a lot of grey hairs, I'm thirty now and I'm basically salt and pepper, it's a family thing my uncles and grand father also went grey very early. It can look really sexy on some guys, but for some reason it just doesn't look right. So I colour it. only to my own natural colour or something similar, and I get it done expensively and professionally so the bad dye job look is something I've mercifully avoided. I also have them use natural colourants and non-ammonia based too.

When I tell people, friends I've known for years in some cases, that I get my hair coloured they're amazed because they thought it was naturally this colour. If I grow it out it looks incredibly aging, and as soon as I have it freshened up I get loads of compliments about how healthy I'm looking.

It's weird, I have been through periods when I didn't bother colouring it, and let the greys show, but whenever I've succumbed and gone back to colouring I've always been really glad I did because it gives me back my actual age appearance again instead of making me look a bit tired and aged. I figure that at thirty I have many decades to come in which I can be comfortable with being grey, because it will be appropriate to my age, right now, I just want to enjoy looking my age.

Sounds fair enuff dude! That's what I'd do if i was gna get it dyed..but im a bit too lazy, and kinda prefer it as it is (plus im shitscared of it goin horribly wrong hahah). :)

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
If you do, spend the money and get it done professionally, don't do the $10 just for men thing. And do the upkeep. A women can color her hair purple or orange and it's no big deal. If a man's doesn't look perfect, he just looks like an idiot.

Yeah, your completely right, bad dye jobs and stupid colours look awful on men. I suppose I've always thought of the manly ideal as being the well kept and well dressed gentleman. The kind of guy who always looks in top condition and is always well groomed and polite, not like a Metrosexual mind you with nasty plucked eyebrows or a mincing queen with loads of slap on all of that is way too much.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that any hair dye on men between light and dark brown has an unnatural hue to it which is even worse when seen out in the sunlight?

And then there are the guys whose natural colour looks like its dyed. That's really unfortunate :biggrin1:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I once got my hair dyed for a stage production that I was in because I judged that I needed to cover the gray on the sides. (I had had to grow out my sideburns for the part, and they were all gray.) I had my hairdresser do it, and she said that it would look just like my natural color. I think it looked okay on stage, but when I looked at my hair in the mirror, I thought the color looked totally fake. It also smelled for a few days. I'm glad that I underwent the experiment, but I would never do it again.

A one-word explanation of why hair dye does not work for men: sideburns. If a woman dyes her hair, it will be a while before you can see the differently colored roots. If a man does it, you can see the original color growing out the sides of his head within a day.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I once got my hair dyed for a stage production that I was in because I judged that I needed to cover the gray on the sides. (I had had to grow out my sideburns for the part, and they were all gray.) I had my hairdresser do it, and she said that it would look just like my natural color. I think it looked okay on stage, but when I looked at my hair in the mirror, I thought the color looked totally fake. It also smelled for a few days. I'm glad that I underwent the experiment, but I would never do it again.

A one-word explanation of why hair dye does not work for men: sideburns. If a woman dyes her hair, it will be a while before you can see the differently colored roots. If a man does it, you can see the original color growing out the sides of his head within a day.

My sideburns are red, like my beard so they've never matched the rest of my hair unless they were coloured :wink: And nowadays I have two big white patches in my beard either side of my mouth which if I grew them would make me look like a mix between a Leprechaun and Fu Manchu :biggrin1:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

there have been several studies linking hair dye to blood cancer and reproductive issues.

hair dressers have a triple the risk chance of getting breast cancer, from a life long exposure to the chemicals used in hair care/treatment products.

pregnant women are told not to dye their hair. people undergoing medical treatments are advised to avoid perms, dying and relaxers.

it's not at all surprising, ya letting a toxic slurry soak on your scalp for up to 30-40 mins. :eek:

i use manic panic or kool-aid to keep my locks shades nature never intended hair to be. no tumors and my hair smells
fruity.

staying on topic: grey hair or salt and pepper hair is very attractive on a man. beard speckle and chest hair grey.... ggRRrrrryummy!! i think it's masculine.. very alpha male. is loverly *wants to run fingers through manly-man chest hair*

Last edited:

lickme69

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My BF is only 43 and he is greying at a pretty good rate. He prefers for me to call it silver. Ha! I personally would not want him to dye it. I think that looks strange on a man. It looks very distinguished to see it greying in a natural pattern.