Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Or as I knew it growing up toasted cheese. How can this masterpiece be improved? It can't, but we have all made changes to it.

What makes up the grand sandwich? Cheese, bread and some butter. What other ways have you fixed it?

Things I have added:
Bologna, Spam, Turkey and many other kinds of meat.
Different cheeses.

One thing I have done on many occasions is to switch from butter to garlic butter. It really adds to the taste and zing.

No matter what you do to it guess what? It is still a grilled cheese sandwich. Amazing....:smile:

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
MM. That sounds good. Garlic butter. Gotta try that.

Me, I tend to go with whole wheat bread, some Provolone or Muenster cheese, or if I'm feeling adventurous, some Swiss.

And yeah, Li'l turkey, li'l ham, maybe some Pastrami....Heaven.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Funny you should ask... I recently had this conversation. I take the bread and slather a little mayo on the outside. On the inside I put gruyere cheese and mornay sauce and grill it in a butter reduction. It's heaven!

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Mine is very basic: American cheese, two slices, between white bread that has been lightly spread with mayonnaise. Fresh cracked black pepper on the cheese. Slam it shut and grill the whole thing in melted butter and eat it with a cup of hot tomato soup.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
For me, the simplest is best. Buttered outside, 2 slices of American cheese and grill. I do love when it is made in a sandwich toaster that seals the edges. When I was a kid the favored brand of toaster was the Breville.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here is a variation I enjoy: American cheese toasted open faced with the other slice of bread next to it until the cheese bubbles up, then sprinkled with Italian dressing and a sprinkle of ground oregano and topped with crisp cold iceberg lettuce and the other slice of toasted bread. It is also excellent with tomato soup.

Last edited:

monel

Sexy Member
Media
What exactly is 'American cheese'? It's not that horrible rubbery stuff, is it?

Not real american cheese. It's a mild cheese not unlike a mild chedder. The rubbery stuff is not classified as cheese but rather a "cheese food" and it's horrible.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not real american cheese. It's a mild cheese not unlike a mild chedder. The rubbery stuff is not classified as cheese but rather a "cheese food" and it's horrible.
Ah, thank you. That stuff is dreadful. I thought you were all putting that in your sandwiches for a minute. :eek: I'm a Cheddar man, myself. Stilton and Red Lester occasionally.

OhWiseOne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Ah, thank you. That stuff is dreadful. I thought you were all putting that in your sandwiches for a minute. :eek: I'm a Cheddar man, myself. Stilton and Red Lester occasionally.
The wonders of genetics which is processed cheese. :eek: Any kind of cheese is good as long as it's not that. It's still a toasted cheese sandwich. :smile:

monel

Sexy Member
Media

I prefer cheddar myself. Sharp Vermont or Irish. But for grilled cheeese, American does melt best and makes the better sandwich.

SprinkleMe69

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
This man is killing me. First the damn peanut butter cookies and now the grilled cheese. Ugh just shoot me already OhWiseOne.

Anywho, my grilled cheese is on sliced sourdough with a little mayo in the inside, add 2 thin slices of Tillamook medium cheddar cheese. Cook in pan till it sizzles. Yummy!

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
So.

Provolone or Muenster?

Spam or Sausage patty?

I'm hurngry.

/haven't had American Cheese in years. And BTW, yes it IS that horrid processed plastic stuff. *Gag*

OhWiseOne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
This man is killing me. First the damn peanut butter cookies and now the grilled cheese. Ugh just shoot me already OhWiseOne.

Anywho, my grilled cheese is on sliced sourdough with a little mayo in the inside, add 2 thin slices of Tillamook medium cheddar cheese. Cook in pan till it sizzles. Yummy!
It's just a grilled cheese sammich....with bacon...:tongue:

gaygent

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Make a roux with butter and flour and add some milk to make a thick sauce. Add grated cheese and some mustard (to taste). Mix well in the pan to make a thick cheesy sauce. Toast one side of the bread then spread the sauce mixture thickly on the uncooked side. Toast the cheesy side until golden brown. - Delicious!