Grinder Or Scruff? Which One Is Better?

AgHarley

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ok LPSG! Which app do you use and why?

Wondering which app I should use and the kind of guys that show up on these apps, Grinder or Scruff.

and, discuss…GO!

winesthel945

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There's lots of discussion of this topic in these forums... you might want to search.

But the short version is that depending on where you are, each app can have a very different audience. One is not inherently better than the other, and one may be better in some locations than another. In my town, Scruff is very bear-centric, Grindr is very twinky, Jack'd skews very Asian. When I go to other cities, Grindr can be much more mixed, Scruff can be very otter and rugged muscle guys with the bears being on Growlr, and Jack'd can skew very heavily African American. The only way you will know is to check them out for a while and see how they shake out in your area.

Also... surprise! Six months later, the population will have changed and might be completely different. :)

For this reason, many people are on multiple apps... precisely because you never know where you're going to meet someone to your liking. Some people are lazy and don't want to be on multiple apps... that's fine, but they shouldn't complain that they're not meeting a variety of people.

And all the apps can be for both hooking up and for meeting people for relationships. I've hooked up from "dating" apps like Tinder and OKCupid, and I've had multi-year relationships with people met via "hookup" apps. I disagree with anyone who says any app is "hookup" or "dating" oriented, they're all for anything -- which leads to my final point...

Finally: you will get out of it, what you put into it. Communicate your interests clearly and you'll be more likely to find someone interested in that. Looking to date? Say it. Looking to fuck around? Say it. Looking to fuck until you accidentally stumble into a relationship? You and everybody else!

PS: Please have a fucking picture fer chrissake, or send one with your first message. If you won't show your face, most people will assume you're some kind of closeted psychopath.

Last edited:

AgHarley

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There's lots of discussion of this topic in these forums... you might want to search.

But the short version is that depending on where you are, each app can have a very different audience. One is not inherently better than the other, and one may be better in some locations than another. In my town, Scruff is very bear-centric, Grindr is very twinky, Jack'd skews very Asian. When I go to other cities, Grindr can be much more mixed, Scruff can be very otter and rugged muscle guys with the bears being on Growlr, and Jack'd can skew very heavily African American. The only way you will know is to check them out for a while and see how they shake out in your area.

Also... surprise! Six months later, the population will have changed and might be completely different. :)

For this reason, many people are on multiple apps... precisely because you never know where you're going to meet someone to your liking. Some people are lazy and don't want to be on multiple apps... that's fine, but they shouldn't complain that they're not meeting a variety of people.

And all the apps can be for both hooking up and for meeting people for relationships. I've hooked up from "dating" apps like Tinder and OKCupid, and I've had multi-year relationships with people met via "hookup" apps. I disagree with anyone who says any app is "hookup" or "dating" oriented, they're all for anything -- which leads to my final point...

Finally: you will get out of it, what you put into it. Communicate your interests clearly and you'll be more likely to find someone interested in that. Looking to date? Say it. Looking to fuck around? Say it. Looking to fuck until you accidentally stumble into a relationship? You and everybody else!

PS: Please have a fucking picture fer chrissake, or send one with your first message. If you won't show your face, most people will assume you're some kind of closeted psychopath.
Ya I actually did search, by titles, to make sure I was posting in the right area and not duplicating past efforts. Thanks for your healthy and extensive comments!

Reactions: winesthel945

SirFroak

Expert Member
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ok LPSG! Which app do you use and why?

Wondering which app I should use and the kind of guys that show up on these apps, Grinder or Scruff.

and, discuss…GO!
The place I travel to has a moderate population, so you'll find a lot of the same people using both apps. They just use different profile descriptions, and market themselves to fit the apps "flavor". Even in the city where I live, that seems to be the case. There is a lot of cross pollination of active users.

So, given that, choose whatever you want. Or use both. Scruff gives the option to allow for more detail, so those that fill them out have more robust profile descriptions. Robust doesn't mean accurate, though. It just means wordier personal marketing, and some roleplay. Grindr is fairly bare-bones, but that's ok as well.

At the end of the day, whether you are reading a personal bio or quickly exchanging dick pics, it is about a couple of horny guys who want to meet and get off.

Player_01

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Grindr's the more well known app, so it's got more people on it around here (like all the DL guys still know about it). I have Scruff too but don't check it as often just because of how far away a lot of the people are on it.

What's nice is Scruff is a bit more niche, supposedly to the hairy/masc guys or guys into leather, but it also lets you see more profiles free so you can do a bit wider search of what is around you. Grindr always limits the free profiles so what I do is block anyone I'm not interested in so I can see more free ones. LOL.

Grindr also has more types on it, at least here, lots of femboys and sissys and the straight guys looking for crossdressers. That's not my interest but they need space too and it tends to be Grindr that works for them.

I tried Jack'd and Growlr and there was few people on it and they were already on Grindr or Scruff :p

As long as you have room for apps, I'd just get both and see what you gravitate to more.

hotfun82

Loved Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Grindr is better for me. I get more connection thru Grindr then any other apps. Scruff has more mature guys but what really shocked me is that lots of them act like teenage kids. You would think that considering their age, they will show some maturity in their act and behavior. Among all the apps i have tried Scruff is biggest disappointment.