Gross and Disgusting Foods

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by agnslz, Feb 25, 2007.

1. agnslz

Gold Member

What foods that others would consider gross and disgusting do you like to eat? And which gross and disgusting foods would you never consider eating?

I thought about this last night, while eating a bowl of posole with menudo. Menudo is beef tripe. I love posole with this in it. I am Mexican-American and I often find myself eating things that most other Americans have never heard of, much less would ever consider eating. Posole is also good with patitas (pigs feet), and pork neckbones. Although, I always pick out all the bones before I eat it like that.

Other dishes that I enjoy are: tacos with buche (fried pig stomach or "hog maws"), burritos of chicharrones (fried pork fat), lengua (boiled beef tongue), and colitas (fried turkey tails). Other less 'ethnic' gross foods that I like are: liver and onions, and oxtail stew.

Things that I never would consider eating are: caviar, escargot, game meat, pickled pigs feet, frogs legs, oysters, squid, and octopus. (I have a Thai auntie that always cooks steamed octopus).:eek:

So, what are some gross and disgusting foods that you like to eat, or would never consider eating?

2. shuerte

shuerte New Member

Albums:
    errr, I'm almost the opposite. Octopus, frog legs, oysters are great. Squids are ok, so as escargot, though I don't like pig feet. I don't like animal organs other than heart and liver.
    And one very disgusting food to me is pasta.

3. Andre80

Andre80 New Member

Sushi, calamari, caviar. I really enjoy those three, while most people I talk to consider it pretty offensive. Oh well.

4. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Rice with mayonaise. I've seen many a lip curl when I do this, as did mine the first time I saw my father do it. But having tried it I'm a convert.

P.S. If it ain't Hellmann's it ain't mayonaise.

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I'm pretty adventurous as far as foods go, so there aren't many I would never try; but there are quite a few I have tried and will never ever eat again. Caviar tops the list. Well-prepared squid and octopus and escargot are delicious, but if they are not prepared correctly, they can be pretty disgusting. It's pretty bad to go to a restaurant and order calamari, and get a pile of deep-fried rubber bands.

I'm not a big fan of organ meats, nor of duck or lamb. I like most fish and seafood (no raw oysters, thank you very much.)

Beets and turnips are absolutely vile, as are most cooked greens (except spinach). Otherwise, I like most of the vegetables I have ever eaten.

6. trufitjock

trufitjock Member

Albums:
    rocky mt. oysters.. or bull balls.. i don't mind tom's balls, bill's balls, bob's balls, dick's balls, rene's balls, or even simon's ball's on a platter.... but .. NO BULL'S BALLS.....

7. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Black-eyed peas with mayonaise is also good. So is chicken noodle soup with ketchup mixed in.

Things I wouldn't eat.....cavier, squid, snake, snails, brains, pigs feet, chitlings, raw eggs, sushi and smelly cunts.:eek:

8. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I'm having scrapple for breakfast. *yum!*

Grandpa let me take a bite of his limburger cheese sandwich once. I felt like I'd eaten cat shit.

...and chicken liver? Yuk!

9. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Spicy foods that set the mouth on fire. No thanks.

10. transformer_99

Gold Member

Eggplant ! Zuchini ! Feta Cheese (smells like, well, you know, but it tastes pretty good in salads !) ! The first two are simply awful. Humus is another that's pretty nasty to eat.

11. danerain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I thought I was the only one who did that. Now I feel less alone.

12. Gisella

Gold Member

I dont eat "gross or disgusting" foods...

But some people may eat things like: eyes, balls, guts, inside organs, hard meat animal as dog, horses etc etc...and those do not taste like "chicken" as some not even relate to a bird sometimes may taste "chikenish".

I cannot really say I will never eat "g&d"..because I never had hunger desperation, really real emergency survival situation...

Oh well...I hate macarroni and cheese...:rolleyes:

13. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I adore cherries, avocado, physalis, any kind of cake except coconut,lamb, kofte, couscous, tabboleh, humus, curries and most spicy things, I'm pretty open in what I eat and the things I don't eat tend to be a combination of because they just sound yucky and they look yucky - so I won't eat brawn (Americans call this head cheese), tripe, kidney (tastes of pee), testicles, heart, tongue, haggis and basically anything giblety looking, anything which sounds suspiciously like it might be giblety like scrapple or chitlings.
    I hate courgettes (zucchini) they taste like snot and I don't like brown sauce, tomato ketchup or vinegar, in fact the smell of vinegar makes me feel sick.

14. No_Strings

Gold Member

banana... the texture, the smell, makes me retch!

I'm pretty big and enthusiastic on all aspects of food... only my picky tastebuds tend not to agree with my eyes and nose, which can ruin a lot of dishes for me

I think I'm open to try pretty much anything, the only restrictions I have are that something must be dead before it goes into my mouth - not my job to kill it!

specifically ketchup, or including variations? (relish, puree et al?)

I couldn't live with tomato sauce, it has a place - somewhere - on every dish!

15. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

How can you hate macaroni and cheese? That's a staple of American food.
    I had some today at lunch with fried chicken and cabbage and green beans.

As to disgusting foods, my grandfather was a butcher, so my mother grew up eating all sorts of meat and meat "parts". She loves all sorts of stuff like tripe, organ meats, feet, tails, etc.

If I don't know what it is, I'm fine with most things, but when I know what they are, then it's hard to stomach. (pardon the pun!)

I've recently given up all meat other than chicken/turkey and seafood, so I don't have to worry about all the gross stuff, but I will admit that I do like brains.

The best calamari I ever had was in a small restaurant outside of Padova, Italy. It was marinated and grilled--the whole body, not just rounds of the tube. It was simply amazing--tender and flavorful.

16. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Anyone who eats bugs are a freak in my book. Wouldn't mind eating snake meat though.

That sounded 'dodgy.'

17. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

tomato puree, relish, tomatoes themself are fine, its just that horrible sweet unpleasantly gloopy sauce I dislike, I think I was probably traumatised by tomato sauce when I was a kid so it's a mental block

18. naughty

Gold Member

Why did you give up red meat?

19. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I gave up beef and veal last year, this month I gave up pork (that's going to be the difficult thing), lamb, etc. I'm trying to only eat poultry and seafood and go heavy on the vegetarian foods.

20. Gisella

Gold Member

Prepstudinsc...

I know..I have no problem with the macarroni but that yellow cheese tastes like raw flour to me...the mix of them together I cant eat them.

I love go to the Boston Market but go very seldom ( I think they have very USA menu..) and the only thing I dont eat in the menu is the M&C and the chicken with skin...but turkey and all the side dishes are ok. I hate the batter of fried chicken too, no KFC to me....:biggrin1:

Well, I'm a turkey and all the trims not chix all the trims immigrant ...yummy! :usa1: :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted