Group etiquette or how do you say hi?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imported, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

Inwood: I've read one or two other topics that kind of touch on this but not quite.

Being new to this group and basically never before joined any other group what are the "rules" if someone sounds interesting? (Yes, I read someone's stats and my breath got a little heavier-:eek:-and not just because of that ONE particular stat.)

I know there's a personals section but...well...it's seems to be real meatmarkety :p. I was hoping to just see what this other person is like and see if we would hit it off personally. If that worked then I guess I'd see what happens after that.

One other topic mentioned that the group thought only two people had actually met through the group. Is this something the group feels is a part of what the site is about or not?

Anyway, any feedback would be welcome.

2. Imported

Gold Member

Valkyrie: Welcome Inwood. You can always do what I did - more or less jump in and start participating in the discussion. At least to me - that's how I get to know people in a group.

Lurk for some time (days to weeks, depending on the group) to get a feel for the language, people and general outlook on life - then it's a matter of diving in and start contributing.

It's usually much more productive than just posting a personal ad... It gives people a view on who you are, what you say, how you express yourself and all those small, but still important things that are you and no one else.

/Val

3. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

More than two people have met through LPSG. I personally have met more than two personally through LPSG, and I know of a few other members who've met each other. The Personals category is not recommended if you're trying to reach one particular person. Many of us rarely,
    if ever, visit the Personals section. I would say the best way to go about establishing a dialogue with someone is to use the IM box. It's a very convenient tool and easy to use. Send a personal message. If you receive a reply, proceed from there. I think that meeting people here and forming friendships is very much part of what LPSG is all about.

4. Imported

Gold Member

sammygirly: Yup, of the people on this board I'm closest to - it all started with an IM.

I would suggest that. If you're interested in them romantically, I would suggest further NON-relationship discussion first. I know I couldn't marry a man simply based on his stats ;D

5. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Yes -

My vote is also for the IM. It's convenient, it tells you if there are any new ones, it's just sitting there at the TOP OF THE BOARD BEGGING TO BE USED!

Anyway - try it, you'll like it.

Valkyrie's suggestion is a good one too though - lurk as long as you like, and post away when you're good and ready. I agree, the Personals are awfully "meet market".

7x6&C

6. Imported

Gold Member

ORCABOMBER: Personally Inwood, I tend to just post, get to know people, IM is great or just private messeges altough I don't come here for love, that's just a bit icky IMHO.

7. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Well but one can still come here for friends, Orcabomber...I know I do...night..after night... :D at my own addiction, erm, I mean dedication.

7x6&C

8. Imported

Gold Member

ORCABOMBER: Tell me about it! What is it about you people?

Personally, I wouldn't mind meeting you guys in real life, but I'm "a kabillion" miles away, and it's social, not "intimate", so to have fun, drink beer, laugh spontaneously...sounds about right!

Draft saved Draft deleted