Group showers in school?

robertomuro

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by youngn'@Aug 16 2005, 03:56 AM
I'd say we should have a mix, because kids shouldn't have to be nude in public if they dont want to
[post=335818]Quoted post[/post]​

It's not really public but there are many things in life that we don't feel like doing at the time but that have to be done. I was one of the most shy people in junior school when we showered but once I hit high school I completely changed and am still trying to work out what my problem was in the beginning. Why is a penis or butt such a big deal?

warmsunshine

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by Otis88+Aug 16 2005, 05:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Otis88 &#064; Aug 16 2005, 05:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-warmsunshine@Aug 16 2005, 11:22 AM
It&#39;s not really public but there are many things in life that we don&#39;t feel like doing at the time but that have to be done.
But why is it that you think school showers have to be done in the first place?
[post=335943]Quoted post[/post]​

Even if most everyone didn&#39;t want to shower, the option should always be there. Furthermore, most schools have athletic programs in which people, well, sweat. Even if you don&#39;t mind being hot, sticky, and smelly, there should be an option (if not a part of normal procedure) to clean up.
[post=335957]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Completely and totally agree. It should be an option. Hell, I&#39;ll even go so far as to say that it should be an encouraged option to provide cover for people who wouldn&#39;t ordinarily do shower because of shyness but might want to.

robertomuro

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by warmsunshine+Aug 16 2005, 08:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(warmsunshine &#064; Aug 16 2005, 08:58 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Otis88@Aug 16 2005, 05:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-warmsunshine
@Aug 16 2005, 11:22 AM
It&#39;s not really public but there are many things in life that we don&#39;t feel like doing at the time but that have to be done.
But why is it that you think school showers have to be done in the first place?
[post=335943]Quoted post[/post]​

Even if most everyone didn&#39;t want to shower, the option should always be there. Furthermore, most schools have athletic programs in which people, well, sweat. Even if you don&#39;t mind being hot, sticky, and smelly, there should be an option (if not a part of normal procedure) to clean up.
[post=335957]Quoted post[/post]​

Completely and totally agree. It should be an option. Hell, I&#39;ll even go so far as to say that it should be an encouraged option to provide cover for people who wouldn&#39;t ordinarily do shower because of shyness but might want to.
[post=335968]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Warmsunshine, you must remember that showering is an activity already practiced by everyone at these schools. It is not an unusual event.. Showering nude is also the norm for everyone the only one solitary difference is that other people are showering next to them at the same time. This is something which should be easy for most people to get over with a bit of encouragement, making it compulsory of course is encouragement. At boarding school it was compulsory for everyone and has been for over 150 years, not a single person I know ever had a problem with it after the initial shyness. As a matter of fact it was common to go in groups to shower just to have people to chat to while showering.

loser_emo_kid

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i say, smelly kids will always be dumb. cest la vie.

and i think that if we&#39;re going to have group showers at school, we should widen our bathrooms and have group showers at home

warmsunshine

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
This is something which should be easy for most people to get over with a bit of encouragement, making it compulsory of course is encouragement.
No, I disagree. Some people don&#39;t want (or need to) "get over" showering naked with a bunch of other people around. Personal preference issues. I support their rights. Just as I would support those who do wish to take a shower.

I don&#39;t think it&#39;s right for people to force their own level of comfortableness upon other people as some sort of power trip to make others do what they want. It&#39;s rather close to bullying behavior for no clear benefit (other than to the people doing the bullying).

And I also disagree that compelling someone (ie forcing them) is the same as encouragement. You may see it as the same thing

en·cour·age ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-kûrj, -kr-)
tr.v. en·cour·aged, en·cour·ag·ing, en·cour·ag·es
To inspire with hope, courage, or confidence; hearten.
To give support to; foster: policies designed to encourage private investment.
To stimulate; spur: burning the field to encourage new plant growth.

com·pel ( P ) Pronunciation Key (km-pl)
tr.v. com·pelled, com·pel·ling, com·pels
To force, drive, or constrain: Duty compelled the soldiers to volunteer for the mission.
To necessitate or pressure by force; exact: An energy crisis compels fuel conservation. See Synonyms at force.
To exert a strong, irresistible force on; sway: “The land, in a certain, very real way, compels the minds of the people” (Barry Lopez).

For the rest of the day, the smell interferes with learning.
Based upon my experiences and the experiences of those I went to high school with as well as a number of people on this board, I beg to differ with your inference that kids smell to a high degree after gym. We&#39;ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. But seeing as neither one of us is attending high school, I, at least have a limited investment in protecting the overly-sensitive noses of a tiny minority of students.

D

deleted1058

I feel as though if there was a choice for students to either go into a solo shower or into a group shower, the majority would most likely make fun of the lesser group. If the majority of people were in the group shower, they&#39;d prolly say the person going in the solo shower had a small one or something to belittle the person. If the majority were heading into private showers and someone went into group showers they&#39;d say that the kid was gay or use hateful words. It should be one way for all and if its a big issue for kids these days to be in group showers, then they should all be private so no one bugs anyone. Bottom line is, teenagers in highschool or grammar school can be mean. They&#39;ll find the smallest thing that is different about you and will blow it up to embarrass you.

warmsunshine

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
robertomuro
I guess it falls under the heading if you think that showers at school "have to be done". I (and others) happen to not think so.
I was one of the most shy people in junior school when we showered but once I hit high school I completely changed and am still trying to work out what my problem was in the beginning.
Well, that&#39;s fine. For you. For others they may not want or feel the need to do so or even view it as a problem in the first place. I&#39;d like to know why YOU feel that others who don&#39;t share your views have some sort of "problem". Seems rather controlling to me.
Warmsunshine, you must remember that showering is an activity already practiced by everyone at these schools.
Not true. As I stated elsewhere, when I was at school (late 80&#39;s / early 90&#39;s) hardly ANYone showered after gym in high school and NO ONE in middle school did and there were no problems. Others who participate on this board and are in high school now (or past it more recently) have said the exact same thing, so no, that is not a true statement that you can blanketly ascribe to all (or even most) schools.

Dorset

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by jb17kx@Sep 2 2005, 09:22 AM
This must be an American thing. None of the 4 schools i&#39;ve been to in australia have had showers at all. You have 45 minutes of PE, than 5mins to change back into your uniform.
[post=340077]Quoted post[/post]​
I think it&#39;s an &#39;everywhere but Australia&#39; thing, not showering after sports is disgusting, especially in your climate

warmsunshine

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
think it&#39;s an &#39;everywhere but Australia&#39; thing, not showering after sports is disgusting, especially in your climate
Actually no, it&#39;s not "disgusting" and in the majority of American schools today, I&#39;d venture to say that not showering after a typically light PE class is de regeur.

Maybe the only time you shower is at school, but for most people they shower at home 1-2 times per day and that&#39;s quite good enough for good hygiene.

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In the 70's the shower room was one big room with 20 or so spray heads. I didn't care if my teamates saw me naked or not.

Now in the 2000's I think showers should include individual stalls to allow for more privacy for those who prefer more privacy.

It's a matter of personal preference, and the school boards should allow students to decide for themselves. After all student do have rights as humans. To bad schools don't recognize this.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Private. I don't see the point of group showers. Your shower at home is private and school shouldn't be any different. We had group showers in junior high and were made to take them. In high school we also had group showers, but didn't have to take them, and I never did--not even once.