Guilty plea to corruption charges

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DC_DEEP, Oct 17, 2006.

1. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Rep. Robert Ney (R-OH) pleads guilty to corruption charges arising from the influence-peddling investigation of lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

Ney has been in "alcohol rehab" for a month (hmm, sound familiar? Seems to be all the latest fashion to blame alcoholism for all your shortcomings...)

Ney's conviction, according to the article in The Washington Post on Saturday, October 14, is the 8th person convicted in the wake of this investigation, but the first elected official.

The levels of involvement throughout the federal government are staggering. Kickbacks, reciprocal payments, and political favors and appointments from the Abramoff scandal are far-reaching, and involve legislation favoring contributors, appointments to the Department of the Interior, Office of Management and Budget, and others.

Here's an ironic quote from the article:

"As of August, Ney had spent $296,000 in campaign funds (my emphasis) to pay for legal expenses this year, according to newly filed campaign reports.

By age 62, Ney could be eligible for a pension worth about 20 percent of the $165,000 congressional salary, or about $33,000 a year.

Earlier this year, Ney's committee (he was chairman of the House Administration Committee; the head of that panel is known as 'the mayor of Capitol Hill') passed ethics legislation to strip convicted lawmakers of their pensions, but the bill died in the House. Ney championed the provision, saying it was designed to hold 'members of Congress and those they work with to the highest standards in order to ensure that those who abuse the public trust will be dealt with accordingly.' "

Hmm, more support for my theory of hiding in plain sight, and perps being attracted to those activities that they claim to be so avidly against.

Although most of the members of the Congress being investigated are republican, I do not doubt that the trail will lead to more than just one or two democrats, too.

Isn't it time for us to really really really clean house, folks? Especially the ones who run on "conservative, family-values" platforms and reward us for electing them, by this sort of thing?

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

You know how resilient roaches are, DC DEEP.

3. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    At the very least: He's been caught and he's given up trying to deny it.

I don't think this scumbag deserves a pension paid for with my money, or your money, or even George W. Bush's money. What i don't understand is this: if an average citizen commits fraud against the country (wellfare or social security fraud) his/her access to social programs is denied, yet when a congress member does the same thing, but on a bigger scale, he/she is imprisoned but keeps access to a publicly paid service. THIS IS NOT FAIR.

What ever happened to checks and balances? Why do congress members get to decide if they are eligible to keep their own pensions?

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Well, well, well... I've mentioned this before in other political discussions on this board.

It's a little backward. The legislation that SHOULD be brought to the people is NOT (like congressional pay raises) and social issues that should be decided not by majority popular vote, but by strictly-constitutionally-considered congressional vote (like same-gender marriage, suffrage issues) are put on the ballot.

And Lex, you are correct. Not only are the roaches amazingly resilient, the collective memories of the sheeple are astoundingly short.

By the way, joyboytoy, House and Senate salaries are NOT voted upon by the Congress; they used to be, but the guys got tired of haggling over how much of a raise they wanted, every year. So they passed a law that made their raises (not just COLA, but salary increases) automatic every year, unless they vote NOT to take a raise. That has never happened. A very few have declined the raise, but not many, and NEVER by a majority vote.

5. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

That anyone who knows the way our government is designed to work would and could look at the way it is working and deem any of this acceptable (irrespective of party affiliation) is mind-boggling to me.

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

You said a mouthful, Lex. MOST people have no clue at all, which is why "conspiracy theory" gets bandied about so freely. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get us- our money or our freedoms.

I live in Ohio, how sick do you think I am that a fucking black-hating assfuck like Ken Blackwell is running and being shoved in the faces of well meaning black people here as a "man of the people"? He's been Taft's toadie for so long it's disgusting, but no one really bothers to investigate or even consider his voting record. That fucker hasn't been black in two decades at least.

Taft and Ney made their money off of the taxpayers of Ohio, and now they're crying "alcoholism" as an excuse! It's goddamned shocking, no way around it. So, apparently alcohol makes one commit embezzlement- I apparently forgot that part and went on to get sober while still poor. I knew I fucked up something.

How much did they get paid to outsource all our jobs to India? I love India, don't get me wrong- those are my niggas, but I LIVE in Ohio. My loyalties are not divided, believe me. I LIVE in a depressed culture that has taken probably among the most dramatic turns for the worse after Louisiana. I'm madder than most because we here are living with a huge burden for the greedy decisions of the neocons. Oh yeah, and home of the Diebold election fraud, oddly enough sponsored by- Taft and Blackwell, funded by Ney.:rolleyes:

Do YOU smell a conspiracy? If you don't, your olfactory glands aren't working. Follow the motherfucking MONEY, it never lies.

7. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dont worry, They'll get a full pardon by the president, and all will be happy again.

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Bwahahahah! You mean something like Ken Lay's conviction being vacated simply because he died? Now, his estate is insulated from sale. According to the judge, all his corruption, lies, and embezzlement never occurred. I guess that means all those stockholders never lost their life savings and retirement accounts, right?

9. madame_zora

Gold Member

If they'd all be decent enough to kill themselves, I'd be willing to pardon their estates. I don't believe in "sins of the fathers" anyway and it would be worth it to be rid of the soulless scum.

10. Freddie53

Gold Member

You folks here on this thread don't understand. It is alright to embezzle money from the people, commit election fraud and all that. Those are just minor little things to deal with.

Now, we need to get more serious in catching penises in mouths of people who are not the wife of the penis owner. We need to spend millions,billions of dollars to get these elected officals impeached and removed from office. This especially holds true if they are Democrats. Now if they are Repulicans, there won't be an investigation to find out whose penis has benn in whose mouth.

Penises in mouths is the rea problem here. Don't you remember? We spent all of two years on this several years ago. Surely you haven't forgotten. Bill Clinton I'm sure hasn't.

Poor Bill, he forgot to steal lots of money from the people and rig elections.
    And burn soiled dresses.

11. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I don't necessarily believe in "sins of the fathers" either; however, I do believe in selling off what he bought with his embezzled money, and using it for at least partial restitution to those whose money it was in the first place.

12. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Penises in mouths is a "big" problem, to be sure, Freddie, but don't downplay the horror of penises in butts. Certainly that's death penalty material, don't you think?

Ah, if only the convicted queers in this country could make everything OK by checking into rehab.

13. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, if they have a penchant for 16 year old's whom they employ and are associated with the republican party they CAN make everything OK by checking into rehab!

14. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

True; but let's get back on topic here. We are talking about Ney. By checking himself in at a rehab facility, that (by republican reasoning) mitigates, or even absolves, all the political influence he sold to Abramoff & Associates. Are you aware that Ney entered remarks into the Congressional Record, on 3 different occasions, that favored the (high-dollar) interests of Abramoff's clients? Give me a yacht, and I'll go on record in favor of Mr. X's request? Send me and a friend on a big-bucks golfing junket to Scotland, and I will support a pork-barrel bill amendment that will squash Mr. Y's competition.

Draft saved Draft deleted