Guilty Pleasures Past

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
The thread about Halloween candy and how some of it has changed reminded me of other "guilty pleasures" that have passed from us, or are hard to find. Here are some of them:

Drive in movies: This was a somewhat bizarre yet downhome type of low- budget-full-car slice of Americana that doesn't exist most anywhere now. That run betwixt rumbling cars to the concessions, monoxide in the air kind of grittiness, that crackly box hung inside your car window (fancier ones allowed you to pick up the sound, sometimes not so successfully, thru your car radio). Damn, were we crazy or what?

Burger King Whalers: Now this was a fish sandwich. Then they had to fool around with it, fucked it up, and it shortly thereafter disappeared from almost all memory.

Lot-O-Burgers and a Frosty mug o Root Beer: True to its name, the Lot-O
Burger was a lot of burger. Big, flat, almost frisbee like (I think they put butter on it. Butter! Mmmmmm can almost taste one now).

Royal Castle: What can I say? They've been trying to duplicate these mini burgers ever since. But nothing like the originals. (How many nights after a St. A game have we spent at Royal Castle's on Elysian Fields?? Those were the days, my friend.) :cool:

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The US has been taken over by large franchises or otherwise nearly out-right monopolies. As a New Englander, I remember Howdy Beefburgers, A&W Drive-In joints, loads of drive-in moves, local sea-side amusement parks, etc. Plus, I distinctly remember the rivalry between Jordan Marsh (I worked there in '81-'82) and the better-heeled Filiene's: both long-gone thanks to Macy's (ugh!).

Marshal Fields, anyone?