Guitar ANY1?

ddazndd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was just wondering does anyone play guitar?
I order an Ibanez Gax30, getting a new one really soon, I really dislike the cutoffs on my Gax30.

Current project: Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci

Fireballs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was just wondering does anyone play guitar?
I order an Ibanez Gax30, getting a new one really soon, I really dislike the cutoffs on my Gax30.

Current project: Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci

Excellent taste, man.
I've loved Dream Theater since
Dream and Day Unite.

I do play, myself,
but I never got too good.
Life got in the way.

ddazndd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Their new ablum, "Systemetic Chaos" is leaked on the internet right now. It's still the demo but it sounds amazing.
I still can't believe how they gather 5 GODS from their own respective worlds together. They are too good together, it's not even fair to the rest of the world.

DarkPhantom

Experimental Member
Media

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Gibson SG STD, cherry red... Custom Charvel electric from the late 80s, strat body, fantastic guitar... and a nice acoustic you can see in my pictures... a Mayton.

Brandon801

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I got a small collection going.. Ibanex makes some great stuff.. but the GAX30 tends to be a bit more dark sounding.. more for rhythm playing perhaps.. I have been always partial to the RG's.. the strat style with the sharp horns.. realy cool.. going way back to Suicidal Tendencies.. "Rob Trujillo was bass player before the OZZY/Zack / Metallic gigs.." both thos eguys used Rg's and they shredded like nobody's business.. I personally like the big fat sounds of les pauls style guitars and a few Gibson Sg's.. I also have a few Washburn customs.. great product out of chicago.. oh yeah.. a vintage ESP mirage.. still a great guitar.. RIP IT UP !!

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media

tob2061

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i have a 1972 les paul custom gold top,
and a recent issue american strat, sunburst, thinking of stripping the finish

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've had a rough old Spanish guitar since I was 18 but never got very far with it. Then a couple of years ago when my son said he wanted an electric guitar, we got on the learning curve together and haven't looked back.

Currently working on a list of 10 songs (by the likes of Otis Rush, Peter Green, Bob Dylan, Cream, George Harrison, The Clash, Iggy Pop, and others) that I intend to start gigging in a few months time, plus a couple of metal numbers (Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, etc.) which my son wanted me to learn so he can practice his dual guitar parts with me. He's only 15 and as you can imagine he has very fast fingers so I have to work real hard, which is good for me. He's about to swap his Jackson 'V' for an Ibanez RG so we'll transfer his active EMG pickups onto the new guitar. Shredtastic!

My tutor is a wonderful classical guitarist but turned to electric (something he'd wanted to do for years) 6 years ago and discovered his rock 'n roll roots. I'm more a blues/jazz guitarist but we get along very well. My lessons are several hours long each Friday. I come away pooped, but happy.

I just bought a '92 Strat Plus Deluxe (black and a bit sparkly). It needs a fret job, but it sounds awsome. I can't wait to get to know it better, but my current favourite is my '94 Fender Telecaster (chrome blue): That guitar is hot wired to my emotions.

My wife plays a Shine bass - she decided she might as well join in - and although she's only been at it a year or so, she's starting to sound quite smooth.

When I have somthing recorded that I feel good enough about, I'll put a link to it on my profile.

ddazndd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wish I have any kinds of ROOTS. I didn't acutually learn to play guitar theorically. It was first Metallica songs then some random solos here and there, which lead to Stratophere (SHREDING kinda), and now John Petrucci songs. Sadly I know nothing about chords. :(

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wish I have any kinds of ROOTS. I didn't acutually learn to play guitar theorically. It was first Metallica songs then some random solos here and there, which lead to Stratophere (SHREDING kinda), and now John Petrucci songs. Sadly I know nothing about chords. :(

You probably know more than you think you do (that's what my tutor tells me anyway). If you're doing bits of Metallica and Petrucci I'm sure you're pretty good already. Understanding chords and how to use them is probably best approached through good old 12 bar blues, because once you 'get' what's going on there you suddenly realise that absolutely masses of rock, pop, punk, jazz, metal, etc. music is based (loosely or tightly) on the same principal. ie. the song starts off with a chord (the l chord), then moves away to another (the lV chord), then shifts to the V chord which builds a feeling of emotional tension which is released when the song changes back to the l chord (or root chord). There are many other chord progressions but they usually turn out to be substitutes for the l, lV, V progression. Joe Satriani says don't get too hung up on chord theory. I'm sure he's right, but then it's interesting to try 7th and 9th chords when you play a progression to see how it alters the way the music moves. But then players like Satriani and Jeff Beck know how to use all those chords to great effect. Jeff Beck can make me cry with his guitar - it works every time. I suppose this is why I had to become a guitarist - it's the art form which moves me the most deeply. I'd urge you to find a tutor, a mentor if you like. I have taught myself a lot with the aid of magazines, but there is no substitute for being stretched, or pushed outside your comfort zone, regularly. Keep practising. :smile:
Oh, and I wouldn't worry about your musical roots. Some of the music you heard in your childhood will have formed roots for you. You already have a taste for heavy rock music. I'd guess your roots aren't dissimilar to my own, despite the generation gap.

ddazndd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
True, a tutor it is. Oh btw I was just at the G3 here in Toronto, saw Petrucci AND VAi!!!! it was amazing.

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I haven't seen or heard Petrucci despite regularly seeing his face in guitar magazines, but I have 3 of Vai's albums. He's an absolute madman with a guitar! He used to play with Frank Zappa, who was as mad a hell. Zappa had a lot of modern jazz musical ideas, but a really naughty, funny, clever, anarchic, rock n' roll attitude. Brilliant! See if you can get hold of The Jazz Discharge Party Hat by Zappa. (I have it on a vinyl album - I'd go look it out and tell you the title, but I gotta go to sleep [nearly 1.30am here in the uk] and you can find it on iTunes or something.) I don't think I ever laughed so hard at a song. Other songs on the same album have some awsome riffs. You're very lucky to have seen Vai.
Catch ya later - must sleep.

circumstances

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yeah man, i play guitar and sing professionally (not my day job, unfortunately). the guitar list looks like this:

1) '94 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24, cherry burst, 10 top
2) '67 Gibson Melody Maker, red
3) '84 Fender Japanese Strat, tobacco burst
4) '07 Taylor 810ce
5) '99 Yamaha Dreadnought Acoustic
6) Early 80's Vantage semi-acoustic
7) Mid 70's Ibanez PF100
8) Late 70's Rickenbacker 4001 Bass (the geddy lee special, hemispheres era).

john petrucci is awesome.