Guitar ANY1?

Riven650

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
NIGHT! This is he playing in this years G3.

YouTube - John Petrucci - Glasgow Kiss - G3 2005

Thanks for the link ddazndd. I had a look/listen last night before I passed out with exhaustion. Yup. That Petrucci guy sure can play the thing. I can see why he and Vai have gravitated towards the same stage. They really are speaking a similar musical language. I'm going to look out for more of his stuff. I'd have liked to see that G3 concert.

In the meantime; in the true spirit of dropping our trousers and measuring each other's willys:

(In order of how much time I spend playing each guitar)
1) '95 USA Fender Tele in chrome blue with all maple neck (not a fancy custom shop special - it's just wonderful as it is)
2) '94 Mex Standard Strat with rosewood fingerboard in sunburst
3) Mid '90s Ibanez AF120 in sunburst (jazz guitar with 13ga flatwounds)
4) '03 Tanglewood TW15NS dreadnaught
5) '03 Epiphone Les Paul Classic in vintage sunburst
6) 7) 1960s Spanish guitar with the maker's label missing. It's badly warped and virtually unplayable because I put steel strings on it when I wanted to play bottleneck - I know, I know. I was young and ignorant. But I still can't part with it because it was my first guitar.

Plus these two, which are not numbered yet because I only just got them within the last fortnight and haven't set up properly yet:
*'93 USA Fender Strat Plus Deluxe in black with rosewood fingerboard. This one is likely to end up very high on my list.
*'Early 00s (I think) Squier Standard Fat Telecaster in vintage blonde with rosewood fingerboard. I bought this to lend to a student of mine, but he now has his dad's guitar and I'm realising why I bought it really - It has a slim neck, a real late '60 cheap Tele vibe to it, plus more than a little bit of chunky Keith Richard rhythm sound to it. There's something very exciting about a budget guitar that can punch way above it's weight.

Now lets not get even more nerdy and start comparing amps or we'll never get any time to play the damn things.:biggrin1:

And thanks again for the link ddazndd

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to play guitar. My favorite thing to do was improvise playing blues. I also liked chords a lot (except barre chords on an acoustic, doesn't sound that good) . For some reason I was never too good at like crazy solos but if I was just messin around I could do some pretty cool stuff with improvising.

Riven650

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to play guitar. My favorite thing to do was improvise playing blues. I also liked chords a lot (except barre chords on an acoustic, doesn't sound that good) . For some reason I was never too good at like crazy solos but if I was just messin around I could do some pretty cool stuff with improvising.

Yes, I also love to improvise blues, and for some reason I seem to think better over a minor blues rather than major. I know exactly what you mean about barre chords. I learned to do them years ago but it never did much for me on my old nylon string Spanish guitar. But the moment I hit a barre chord in the middle of the neck of that blue Tele it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I was sitting in a guitar shop with that Tele on my knee and I was trembling. I KNEW I had to have that guitar and I KNEW that I was going to, at long last, get down to progressing as a player. It was the sound that inspired me. Twenty minutes earlier, I'd told the shop owner I couldn't really play a guitar yet. But I was sitting there striking barre chord after barre chord and all this MUSIC was coming out. The changes were utter guesswork, but it sounded fantastic. The guy came over and said something like "You might think you can't play, but let me tell you; you certainly can". Naturally, I bought the guitar (it was my 50th birthday) and have been in love with it ever since. Since then (just over 2 years) I've played way more than I did in the previous 32 years of guitar ownership. I wonder how good I might be by now if I'd got that Tele for my 18th birthday.

I know what you mean about crazy solos. When guys start rolling out too much flashy shred and tapping etc. (mustn't let my heavy metal son see this :tongue: ) all too often they leave go of the basic beat, and then the chord changes go to hell too and you realise the guitarist is playing something utterly unrelated to the song. Then it's up to the drummer and bassist to keep try to keep the thing alive while they wait for the soloist to finish showing off. My solos are slow but I concentrate on targeting and emphasizing the chord changes and I make effort to squeeze nice tone out of the thing. But I do want to be able to play a bit faster :biggrin1:

But going back to barre chords: The reason I bought my Tanglewood dreadnaught was that it has tight enough sound to make really nice barre chords. It has solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, Grover tuners and only cost £300! Perhaps you should wander into a guitar shop on your birthday. :biggrin1: