Guitar players?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by optimum, Jan 15, 2008.

1. optimum

optimum New Member

Albums:
    Anyone here play? How long? What do you like to play? Any stage experience? Studio experience?

I'm a gear freak too, let me know what kind of equipment you've got.

(Not "cock" equipment...but if you must, go for it)

2. _avg_

Gold Member

Albums:
    Anyone here play? Yep.
    How long? About 15 years.
    What do you like to play? Originals. Then funk, and metal.
    Any stage experience? Yep. Used to play about a show a week, for awhile.
    Studio experience? 3 CDs. (2 with my current band...[edit -- actually, I won't link to the website. Sorry. don't want to risk it.])

I play bass, mostly -- a Schecter Diamond series 4 string running through a 500w Peavey TMAX with 2 10s and a 18, and a Line 6 POD Pro. Also got an old-ass Ibanez and a sweet 1976 Fender Jazz bass.

I have a few guitars, but mostly play with my Ovation acoustic.

But all that doesn't mean shit if you can't write a decent riff....

3. lucky8

Gold Member

checkin in. i just got a new American Strat, HSS with the s1 switch, sunburst with maple neck. been playin guitar for 8 years, self taught, i also play the piano and saxophone like whoa. i also have a Fender Scorpion electro/acoustic...just got a new pedal too, its a voodoolab microvibe pedal, i would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone. so versatile and combined with my Boss DS1 distortion pedal and a little reverb, i can just about mimick Hendrix's and SRV's tones. not much stage experience, mostly just jammin with buddies in garages and basements. check out that pedal man, its my new bread and butter...i think theyre sellin for around $130-$150 now...definately worth it if you like Hendrix and SRV as much as i do. i also have a dunlop crybaby 535Q wah pedal that is equally amazing....i dont really learn too many songs because it just gets boring after awhile, mostly just make up my own stuff...however i am in the process of learning SRV's version of "Little Wing". not an easy task, but so far i have the first 2 minutes down pat...what u play?

4. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Anyone here play? Yes, all the time

How long? Taught myself in 8th grade after taking violin since I was 5...so 6 years now

What do you like to play? I was a metalhead while still learning the basics, but now I improv whatever, whenever. Still a metal bent in that I love my gain, but chugga chugga doesn't do it for me anymore. I spent a long time learning Dream Theater stuff, which was a great lead exercise. I prefer lyrical solo lines and generally melodic (to me melodic is not exactly slow ionian; I'm a Holdsworth nut though I'm not good at thinking like him on the fly) single note stuff to boring old chords. meedly meedly me.

Any stage experience? Yah, my band doesn't actually know any songs but for two...we just free form it

Studio experience? Nope, too impatient as of yet

Ok here's my setup. I have a Boss Ds-1 and Ibanez Ts9 that I use simultaneously for drive (the boss at a low level so it's essentially just a gain boost ahead of the Ts9, which I also use on it's own) into Boss DD-20 Gigadelay, going into a Fender Blues Jr Special Tweed edition (with a Jensen Speaker) and a Fender Hot Rod deluxe, in stereo, but I stack them and use the two different amps to complement each other tonally. The Blues jr is very mid heavy and boxy, and the Hot rod more scooped classic Fender clean, with a bit more grit than a twin. So I use them at near breakup. I'm not a hard hitting player at all, so I never clip them while clean, but the distortion pedals cause a bit of compression afterwards due to their boost in volume and added sustain.

As for guitars I have a Fender American Deluxe Strat, which was my main guitar and an amazing thing (most well adopted Strat to higher gain situations while retaining the trademark cleans) until I came across a Paul Reed Smith SE Singlecut which blew me away...somehow a $500 guitar oustripped the $1000 plus gem of a strat I'd gotten a couple years prior. Much as I still love the strat, the PRS suits me better in feel and tone (even clean tone :eek:), even though it only has 3 pickup positions to the 10 I used to the fullest on the strat.

I also have a few other doohickeys, but those are the 7 integral pieces that never change

5. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    I don't play but I would love to learn guitar. I sing though haven't performed or recorded in years. Can't wait to see some other the answers here, it's always nice to find other music lovers.

6. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    i love fingerpicking acoustic guitars,right now i have a charvel electric
    a fender 6 string acoustic and a 12 string epiphone.
    the epiphone is really old,but still sounds rich.

i use a Line6 POD preamp/efx processor and fostex monitors.
    i used to play metal and still write riffs for fun but
    lately i have been all about keyboards and sequencers.

7. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I would love to play guitar and bought one at one time. I took one lesson and quit. Then, I tried to teach myself and couldn't. I sold it.

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've been playing since '99, mostly acoustic, primarily blues.

I've got a '75 Ovation Patriot that's my main squeeze. My mistress is a Cordoba Flamenco classical that I play almost a much. It's got a beautiful, haunting timbre...but when I feel like really whaling, the steel-string is tits.

At one time I had an electric rig...an Epiphone "Lucille" model (same as the Gibson ES-355 semi-hollowbody) and a Fender '65 reissue Twin Reverb amp. I had fun playing Hendrix on it, but I never really got into the electric scene. I will say it's much more forgiving than the acoustic, though...and takes a lot less finger strength to fret.

I've never played out...my music is strictly a personal release.

9. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Been playing since I taught myself at age 12 (my bro got me started) after my dad died. My first love was hendrix, zeppelin, and then van halen. I now play guitar for one of the original hip hop djs who has had some monster hits (none with me...yet). I don't feel that is where my musical talent lies (I just happen to know him, and he happens to need a guitar player), I am better just by myself playing what I like in my room. I have an ernie ball axis (like Eddie Van Halen), an older ibanez s series I got in high school (I'm into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and the ibanez shreds), but I would really really like to pick up a strat one of these days. The cleans are just too beautiful but I have to justify having three electrics, an acoustic, and a roland phantom all at the same time...

10. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

Trying to get started learning. I just got an Epiphone Les Paul vintage sunburst.

I love metal, hard rock, classic rock, and alternative

11. Nrets

Nrets Member

I've been playing since 8th grade.
    Played various clubs around LA.
    I have had many guitars.
    My first was a classical guitar from Michocan that my parents bought on a trip to Mexicali. That was stolen out of my car in Oxnard.
    Then I had another classical guitar from Sam Ash that played surprisingly well for a $100 guitar.
    The neck on that one recently snapped thanks to carelessness.
    I was then given a classical Esteve by the person who had been careless.
    I leave it at his house because it is far nicer than anything I have owned, and I prefer to have somethign I can bang around.
    I own an deep blue Ibanez RG with Dual humbuckers that I got in HS.
    I owna 60's reissue Mexican Standard Strat
    I own a big ass purple P-Bass.
    I used to own a Fender Squire Bullet, but I left it at someones house when I moved away and when I came back, his sister had made it hers.
    I own a Laney 100 watt amp. Full cabinet. (4 speakers...I think they are 12"s)
    I own a precision Bass cabinet.
    I own a 100 watt PA.
    Randall combo amp from the 70's
    and my general fuck around amp...Fender Combo.

The only things I paid for were the P Bass, the PA, and the Squire. Musicians are crazy people.

12. Principessa

Gold Member

Classic and hard rock are my weakness if you start playing like Bruce I may have to move to Texas :flirt:

:rolleyes: Italian1 I hope you put more effort into sex than you did into guitar lessons! :wink:

13. optimum

optimum New Member

Albums:
    Cool guys, I love reading about this stuff.

I actually didn't want to post my rig. It's fairly well known where I live what kind of gear I'm using. -Avg- hit in on the head for me. I didn't really want to risk a link or anything like that...but then again...I'm not really ashamed to be on this website. I hardly talk about sex on it and don't post pictures, so here goes with some basic stuff:

I've been playing for 8 years. I go to school for music, and teach for money.
    For a long time I was into the high-mids, high-gain world of metalcore and thrash. Pantera, Shadows Fall, and all the heavy, neo-classical influenced sweeping that goes on. However, pretty soon I realized this was all a facade. I wanted to make my guitar howl with emotion and scream like it's getting fucked. I'm mostly into SRV and Double Trouble, Govt. Mule, The Allman Bros., Derek Trucks, Greg Howe, Clapton, Hendrix....blah, blah, blah. The list goes on. I'm a tone-junkie.

I've got plenty of stage experience. We're a big fan of covering Mule and Vaughan songs.

I've got a '95 Carvin Valvemaster fitted with 6L6GC Ruby Tubes. I run that through a Behringner SNR-2000 Dual Channel Denoiser, out the effects loop into a Carvin EQ2020 Dual Octave Equalizer. Through that, comes my pedal board. First into a Boss OC-3 Super Octave Pedal, then into a Carvin UD1 Distortion pedal, then back into my amp. I'm using an Avatar 4x12" straight cab with a wheat grill fitted with 4 Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.

I have a Digitech RP200 digital effects processor, in case I ever need to use delay, flanger, or phaser, but it's def. a rare moment in hell that it happens. I also run 10' in and 10' out of a Dunlop Crybaby Wah from my guitar to the pedal to the amp. These things stay on my pedal board but are rarely used.

I have lots of other old cabs and amps, some bass equipment, and various cheap shit...but this is really my main rig and will continue to be. I wrench some seriously vintage tone out of this bastard.

It doesn't hurt that I'm using a 70's Gibson Les Paul Custom as my main axe, either.

14. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I'm a beginner.

I have an electric now, I used to have an acoustic. I know a few chords - D, A, G, C. But I still need to learn to move between chords. There's a long pause between chords :redface:

My girlfriend's brother is going to teach me to play, he taught himself. I envy people like that!

I don't want to post my 'rig' since its probably shit lol.

But yeah...I'll start practicing again, tonight hopefully.

15. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

:biggrin1: It's one of those things that you either have a talent for or not. I didn't. But I didn't sell it right away. It stayed in my garage for like 10 years. :frown1:

16. sugarstick

sugarstick New Member

Albums:
    PRS Baby, PRS! Soldano 50w 2x12, Fender Prosonic, '56 Gretsch New Yorker, Les Paul Standard, '62 ressue strat refretted by Sadowski NYC, lots of Fulltone pedals and other stompboxes. Gibson J-185EC

17. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

I have absolutely no musical talent... however love guitar music and especially anything done with a Stratocaster. :veryhappy:

A friend owns a recording studio where I help out. It's like going to heaven hear the live guitars and watching/listening to the cuts become an album.

18. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

19. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed, Kotzen is great. Allan Holdsworth is my all time favorite...crazy player, and an improvisational genious. One of the main influences of the entire shred genre, and far beyond most of them.

YouTube - Allan Holdsworth - Tokyo Live 1984 [masterpiece solo]

there's a funny interview for 2 minutes before hand...just skip it if you want.

EDIT: This one is more song like
    YouTube - Allan Holdsworth - Proto Cosmos

There are a bunch more on youtube...all phenomenal

20. RandyLahey

RandyLahey Member

Anyone here play? yeppers

How long? 6 years self taught

What do you like to play? started with punk -> metal -> acoustic ->
    classic rock -> jazz -> blues... i play all types now, but blues is def the best (SRV is god)

Any stage experience? never consistently, but iv'e played 2 or 3 times on stage at diff occasions

Studio experience? only in a song writing workshop class i took

what kind of equipment you've got? ::deep breath:: 1st guitar was a Squier Strat back in the day, then I bought myself a mid-line Yamaha acoustic. The neck of that snapped, so I bought an acoustic electric Carlo Robelli which was twice the price and doesn't sound half as good. Then I bought me a Brownsville Custom electric which is basically a Gibson Les Paul for half the price and all of the sound.
    As for pedals I have Boss DS-1, Digitech Death Metal, Ibanez PH7 Phaser, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Rocktron Talkbox (like Peter Frampton's)(best effect ever), Digitech RP50 (100s of effects in one), and the classic Ampeg Scrambler. My amp is just a Marshall MG 30 watt cause I only use it indoors.

Well.. this got me in the mood for something that I never thought this site would get me in the mood for. Imma go wail

Draft saved Draft deleted