Guitar: RATE Me !LISTEN!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_asian_zd, Jul 21, 2008.

1. B_asian_zd

B_asian_zd New Member

#1 B_asian_zd, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. B_asian_zd

B_asian_zd New Member

3. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Hahahahaha oh, those Glass Prison arps. Even Petrucci can't get them straight live.

EDIT: Here's a guy playing them insanely accurately both swept AND alternate picked....dude's a beast http://youtube.com/watch?v=UFlMNRIJuEc&feature=related

I don't even bother...sweep arps and crazy fast string skipping alternate picking runs just aren't for me.

Not gonna lie though dude, that was pretty sloppy, even slowed down. I'd slow it down even more and just hack at it CONSTANTLY

#3 Qua, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. Mr. Bungle

Gold Member

Albums:
    Interesting that Petrucci originally played those arps with sweep picking on the 6DOIT and he's alternate picking them in your youtube vid. Me, I'm not all that big on sweep picking, when I choose to do arps I just do some of the wider stretching, use these large hand of mine to my advantage. I'll leave the sweeping to Becker, Yngwie and Joe Stump (and Theodore Ziras... ever heard of him? unbelievable player from Greece, check him out on youtube, for he's got a bunch of videos up).

As for your playing, I'm gonna go with Qua? on this one, good attempt though - anyone who dares tackle that deserves major props... that's one tough lick to master. Just slow it down even more and pay attention to each individual note, make sure you can hear each one. Don't worry about speed for now - once you've mastered the lick at a slower, comfortable, manageable speed, that's when you can start to increase the metronome a couple clicks at a time. It'll take a while, and it'll be deathly boring at first, but once you get it up to speed, it'll be worth it!! Keep at it man. :biggrin1:

5. B_asian_zd

B_asian_zd New Member

Ya soo true, I have been focusing too much on speed! thanks guys

Draft saved Draft deleted