Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This is the grand contribution you have to offer then? Murder is bad? Thanks for participating then I guess.
And here again, Another person arguing just for the sake of it. Thank you for telling me that I guess.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And here again, Another person arguing just for the sake of it. Thank you for telling me that I guess.

Not at all. You clearly made the argument that all murder is bad, so we shouldn't single out one instrument of murder over other instruments of murder just because that instrument is much more capable of mass murder because all murder is bad.

When called on that, you retreated to say that you were just saying that murder is bad (and if that's all you're saying, it would be a dumb argument that everyone agrees to so why bother, except for the fact that it's not all you were saying).

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My story has not changed nor will it change three years from now, I'll still follow the same thing I said today, yesterday, last week or 10 years 14 days ago. You say I changed it. Show me where I changed it. Tired of the people badgering over something they cannot prove I did or did not say, or changing it to fit their argument. Someone wants to call me out over a changed story then SHOW me what and where and explain what it was otherwise it didn't happen.

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Not at all. You clearly made the argument that all murder is bad, so we shouldn't single out one instrument of murder over other instruments of murder just because that instrument is much more capable of mass murder because all murder is bad.

When called on that, you retreated to say that you were just saying that murder is bad (and if that's all you're saying, it would be a dumb argument that everyone agrees to so why bother, except for the fact that it's not all you were saying).
forgot to tag above.

KennF

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
And I agree, there is no one fixes all answer.... My argument is that just because someone like myself that does have firearms and shouldn't feel like I'm the bad guy because I do.

I don't know that people are saying you are the bad guy because you have a firearm. So, the feeling is your own take and creation.

I do think people are opposed to your position on guns, or, at least, on the way you approach the issue.

The thing that I'm annoyed with is Everyone has the perfect answer.

That's your take on it. I read that people have an answer as to places to start and areas to address. Just as you feel the place to start in the black market, others believe it is licensure, others believe it in manufacturing, and, others believe it is in mental health. Some believe the issue should be reactive, while others believe it should be proactive.

There is room in the topic for discussion and debate.

I was being sarcastic there. Not serious. I do not support abortion.

Unfortunately, posts are not a good place for sarcasm, unless you actually insert a comment that says you're being sarcastic. It is very difficult to read when political discussion is real, and when it is being facetious or sarcastic.

Reactions: MisterB

KennF

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My story has not changed nor will it change three years from now, I'll still follow the same thing I said today, yesterday, last week or 10 years 14 days ago

hmmm... That's a little depressing for me. The whole idea of community discussion and debate is to persuade people and find common ground. If you are saying that you are unwilling to change your position on a topic, then I'm not sure what anyone can do to contribute or give your opinion greater weight.

If what you feel 10 years ago is all you ever believe going forward, then there is no room for growth.
Worse, if people see you are inflexible in your beliefs and opinions, then everything you say should be viewed with that filter of inflexibility.

In essence, I would be wasting my words discussing things with you since there is never a chance to come to an understanding. It must be either agree with you, or, walk away. *shrug* Oh well.

That's a little disappointing, considering I read into your posts a passionate point of view.

Best of luck. :)

Reactions: MisterB

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
hmmm... That's a little depressing for me. The whole idea of community discussion and debate is to persuade people and find common ground. If you are saying that you are unwilling to change your position on a topic, then I'm not sure what anyone can do to contribute or give your opinion greater weight.

If what you feel 10 years ago is all you ever believe going forward, then there is no room for growth.
Worse, if people see you are inflexible in your beliefs and opinions, then everything you say should be viewed with that filter of inflexibility.

In essence, I would be wasting my words discussing things with you since there is never a chance to come to an understanding. It must be either agree with you, or, walk away. *shrug* Oh well.

That's a little disappointing, considering I read into your posts a passionate point of view.

Best of luck. :)
No, I was told I had one story and changed it.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
FnH
if you dont mind a Brit saying so you have just completed the exact same thing youve mentioned here
you folk amaze me how you can appear and fill a few pages with such?

smile'

FastNHard said: ?

swingfun

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You know..i don't go over there and tell you you should do brexit or not ..or keep Scotland from becoming independent. Why? Because it's none of my dusiness. Just like gun control is none of yours you don't live here...thankfully. I'll keep my gun thank you.

Reactions: FastNHard

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
FnH
if you dont mind a Brit saying so you have just completed the exact same thing youve mentioned here
you folk amaze me how you can appear and fill a few pages with such?

smile'

FastNHard said: ?
And yet, you keep replying?

sizehungry

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
And how many massacres have we had since those gun laws were introduced? You could go out tomorrow and get a pistol licence if you wished. You already have a rifle licence? Anyone can, provided they pass the checks.

Education? How do you educate the insane? No-one wishes to take the guns away from the US. But to allow crazy people access to mass death weapons easily is what we legislated against. That is where the education is.

Criminals will always have weapons, no matter what laws, that's why they are criminals. But do they go out and mass kill innocent people with automatic weapons? No. They usually target each other, that is fact.

If you yearn to own weapons which are of no use to the every day gun owner or shooter, sportsman, hunter or otherwise. Don't like the laws and think insane people have the right to own guns or Automatic assault rifles.... Then move to the US.
A couple of points to correct here . 1) I am ok with the gun laws as they stand , but not with the lax bail conditions / penalties for crimes of violence , either by commission or incitement . 2 ) I live in a democracy ( of sorts ) and am therefore free to express my views ( for now ) .,3) I have never , and would not , advocate that the insane have access to ANY kind of weapon . ,4) Whilst you have a right to your opinions , as do I , do not presume to tell me where i should live . I am a law abiding , proud Australian citizen , my "dues " have been , and continue to be " paid " , every step of the way ., so don,t even think about telling me that i should live elsewhere .

A couple of points to correct here . 1) I am ok with the gun laws as they stand , but not with the lax bail conditions / penalties for crimes of violence , either by commission or incitement . 2 ) I live in a democracy ( of sorts ) and am therefore free to express my views ( for now ) .,3) I have never , and would not , advocate that the insane have access to ANY kind of weapon . ,4) Whilst you have a right to your opinions , as do I , do not presume to tell me where i should live . I am a law abiding , proud Australian citizen , my "dues " have been , and continue to be " paid " , every step of the way ., so don,t even think about telling me that i should live elsewhere .

In your original post, you never mentioned you were happy with the gun laws, you never said you were unhappy either. Yes, I went a step too far in my comment about you moving to the US. I wanted to edit, but was unable too because of the time restriction. It was a bit hard to gauge your views on your post. Thanks for clarifying your agreement to the implementation of the gun reform law after Port Arthur.

I'm glad we had politicians who had the balls to make decisions at that time, not that I am a fan of Howard. But because of those laws and our education on what was capable with autos in a public place, we, since that time have not have had our kids go through what families, medical and emergency staff had to go through since that time. I remember Doctors and Nurses breaking down and falling to their knees in tears afterward at the carnage Bryant caused. No doubt it happens in the US every time someone goes on a gun rampage with military style weapons.

There are no guarantees it will not happen again, but at the least we took the steps to remove the sale to the public of military style autos. And for 20 or so years we have been massacre free. We did it without removal of the right to own guns, just ones which had no place in a society that did not need them.

Yes, you, I live in a democracy of "sorts", one which a national referendum of voting Australians across all states decided to ban self loaders and introduce stronger licencing laws.

The program didn't fail because of criminals not handing automatic weapons over. We would have been totally dense and uneducated to expect they would. Criminals, or organised crime are not responsible for mass shootings of innocent kids or adults.

Australia received the best educational lesson ever about the damage easily accessible self loaders can do from Port Arthur. It broke the world record for mass murder of civilians at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion. Penalties for these sorts of crimes do not matter to those who commit them, because usually, they take their own life last. Bryant failed in his attempt to do so. The death penalty is of no deterrent to someone who is insane or someone for one reason or another, snapped and is able to have easy access to a auto rifle.

You sound around the same vintage as me, I remember at 13-14 with my first money I earned working after school, walking into a gunsmith shop at Tarragindi, and walking home with an air rifle under my arm, no-one batted an eyelid. I had auto Rugers for when we went pig, roo shooting etc, but gave it all away when I lost interest in my late teens early 20's.

Our gun laws were on par with the US, in some states, particularly Queensland more lax.

What helped persuade people during the "democratic", national referendum to remove Automatic assault weapons from public sale and agree on national gun laws between states and territories, was not only our own rising gun violence, but that of the US. The US gun lobby tried to influence our public opinion, to their own detriment here. Why? Because it was clear as crystal we were headed down the same path as they.

I believe and have stated in this forum numerous times it is too late for the US to introduce any type of gun reform. We were lucky enough to be in a place of our evolution to change our future by implementing reform via democratic process. It took constitutional change to do so.To prevent another Port Arthur happening again.

There have been so many replies on here from US posters thinking that Australia have banned guns altogether. So I keep posting all the gun shops in Australia where people are able to buy guns. I have posted our gun laws, our different licence categories, and 2 pages or whatever later...Australia has no guns, they banned guns. They are not able to own guns. You can't educate the ignorant. It's impossible.

Anyway, don't get your knickers in a knot because I said move to the US. Yep, your opinion is valuable. Our nations experience on not making autos available to the public is invaluable.

But, it is too late for the US. Plain and simple. US politicians over there lack balls. Big mouths, no balls though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ed69

You know..i don't go over there and tell you you should do brexit or not ..or keep Scotland from becoming independent. Why? Because it's none of my dusiness. Just like gun control is none of yours you don't live here...thankfully. I'll keep my gun thank you.

So what type of gun or guns is it that you own?

sizehungry

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
In your original post, you never mentioned you were happy with the gun laws, you never said you were unhappy either. Yes, I went a step too far in my comment about you moving to the US. I wanted to edit, but was unable too because of the time restriction. It was a bit hard to gauge your views on your post. Thanks for clarifying your agreement to the implementation of the gun reform law after Port Arthur.

I'm glad we had politicians who had the balls to make decisions at that time, not that I am a fan of Howard. But because of those laws and our education on what was capable with autos in a public place, we, since that time have not have had our kids go through what families, medical and emergency staff had to go through since that time. I remember Doctors and Nurses breaking down and falling to their knees in tears afterward at the carnage Bryant caused. No doubt it happens in the US every time someone goes on a gun rampage with military style weapons.

There are no guarantees it will not happen again, but at the least we took the steps to remove the sale to the public of military style autos. And for 20 or so years we have been massacre free. We did it without removal of the right to own guns, just ones which had no place in a society that did not need them.

Yes, you, I live in a democracy of "sorts", one which a national referendum of voting Australians across all states decided to ban self loaders and introduce stronger licencing laws.

The program didn't fail because of criminals not handing automatic weapons over. We would have been totally dense and uneducated to expect they would. Criminals, or organised crime are not responsible for mass shootings of innocent kids or adults.

Australia received the best educational lesson ever about the damage easily accessible self loaders can do from Port Arthur. It broke the world record for mass murder of civilians at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion. Penalties for these sorts of crimes do not matter to those who commit them, because usually, they take their own life last. Bryant failed in his attempt to do so. The death penalty is of no deterrent to someone who is insane or someone for one reason or another, snapped and is able to have easy access to a auto rifle.

You sound around the same vintage as me, I remember at 13-14 with my first money I earned working after school, walking into a gunsmith shop at Tarragindi, and walking home with an air rifle under my arm, no-one batted an eyelid. I had auto Rugers for when we went pig, roo shooting etc, but gave it all away when I lost interest in my late teens early 20's.

Our gun laws were on par with the US, in some states, particularly Queensland more lax.

What helped persuade people during the "democratic", national referendum to remove Automatic assault weapons from public sale and agree on national gun laws between states and territories, was not only our own rising gun violence, but that of the US. The US gun lobby tried to influence our public opinion, to their own detriment here. Why? Because it was clear as crystal we were headed down the same path as they.

I believe and have stated in this forum numerous times it is too late for the US to introduce any type of gun reform. We were lucky enough to be in a place of our evolution to change our future by implementing reform via democratic process. It took constitutional change to do so.To prevent another Port Arthur happening again.

There have been so many replies on here from US posters thinking that Australia have banned guns altogether. So I keep posting all the gun shops in Australia where people are able to buy guns. I have posted our gun laws, our different licence categories, and 2 pages or whatever later...Australia has no guns, they banned guns. They are not able to own guns. You can't educate the ignorant. It's impossible.

Anyway, don't get your knickers in a knot because I said move to the US. Yep, your opinion is valuable. Our nations experience on not making autos available to the public is invaluable.

But, it is too late for the US. Plain and simple. US politicians over there lack balls. Big mouths, no balls though.
Fair enough . I guess what really cuts me is that , yes , I feel that we are of " similar vintage " , and that being so , I truly miss not being able to , take my tent , dog , .22 , or .303 , camping gear , canoe ,or whatever , and just " go bush " for a while , to " get away from it all " so to speak . Perhaps i'm wrong , but i do feel that there is some kind of stigma attached to such activities , these days . I do long for the days of our youth , when for whatever reason , we seemed to be truly free . Maybe it's just an illusion , but that's how it seems to me . That said , I am truly grateful that Australia is my home , and my love for it ," warts and all " , knows no bounds . Heres hoping that we smash the Poms in the ashes . That you for your post , i generally read a lot of yours with interest . All the best . S.H.

Reactions: 185248

sizehungry

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Ps , I forgot to add , that my family had a good deal of involvement in the aftermath of Port Arthur , and none of them have been able to return , such were the horrors that they saw . I know the place intimately , and i can tell you that nothing will ever heal that place completely . Could tell you a lot more , but not here , as people might "connect the dots " as it were .

Reactions: 185248

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
LISTEN
not that im pro ISRAEL
different perspective?

In Israel, gun ownership is a privilege rather than a right

RTX2N05O.jpg

When the topic of stronger gun control resurfaces in the US, often in the wake of a mass shooting, pro-gun activists and politicians frequently cite Israel as a counterexample. There are a lot of guns in Israel, the argument goes, but it has less gun violence — so the problem in America is not guns, but something else.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-11...&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=gun in Israel

sizehungry

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
LISTEN
not that im pro ISRAEL
different perspective?

RTX2N05O.jpg

When the topic of stronger gun control resurfaces in the US, often in the wake of a mass shooting, pro-gun activists and politicians frequently cite Israel as a counterexample. There are a lot of guns in Israel, the argument goes, but it has less gun violence — so the problem in America is not guns, but something else.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-11-21/israel-gun-ownership-privilege-rather-right?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The Scan Nov 21&utm_content=The Scan Nov 21+CID_941f34f43784a6090530e2fb67a7a11a&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=gun in Israel
Dead right . It's the mind set that's the problem , and that can be changed . Perhaps they could increase ( dramatically ) the fluoride content ( pacifying agent among other things , lifted from Nazi concentration camps ) in the drinking water , or lace Oreo's with Largactil , but then , the vast majority of Americans , and people elsewhere ,are innocent of any wrong doing , so we can't do that ,, though we could with prisons . I like the gun laws of Israel & Switzerland , and I'm ok with ours in Oz . There are some who say that change is impossible , but i feel differently . Years ago , subliminal advertising was outlawed over the potential for misuse . Perhaps it's time to look at it's potential re; educating society . Scary thing , mind control/modification . We have been a life form on this planet for 6 million years ( primitive form ) , 200.000 years in our current form , and around 6,000 years as " civilized " . , and we still cannot get it right in terms of how we treat each other . When i think of all the fine , wonderful things that we can , and could do , then consider our reality , it makes me sad & angry . Very first thing we need , are political leaders , who are capable , and willing , to recognize what is really important , and act upon it in the positive , rather than , just turn up , hurl a couple of insults across the table ( wonder the poor old speaker hasn't had a stroke ) eat a generous meal , drink discount " high end " booze , all of it , paid for " through the nose " by poor bloody taxpayers . Truth is , that they don't give a flying fuck about us . Why would they . They have power/influence , parliamentary privilege , subsidized travel , all sorts allowances , personal security , etc , etc , it all makes me feel sick . These assholes foist new " legislation " upon us with an obscene grandiosity , that offends the shit out of me , because they actually think we are all stupid enough to accept their appalling behavior . Got to stop . This post is way too long .

Reactions: rbkwp

Fair enough . I guess what really cuts me is that , yes , I feel that we are of " similar vintage " , and that being so , I truly miss not being able to , take my tent , dog , .22 , or .303 , camping gear , canoe ,or whatever , and just " go bush " for a while , to " get away from it all " so to speak . Perhaps i'm wrong , but i do feel that there is some kind of stigma attached to such activities , these days . I do long for the days of our youth , when for whatever reason , we seemed to be truly free . Maybe it's just an illusion , but that's how it seems to me . That said , I am truly grateful that Australia is my home , and my love for it ," warts and all " , knows no bounds . Heres hoping that we smash the Poms in the ashes . That you for your post , i generally read a lot of yours with interest . All the best . S.H.

My brothers son, they live in Bundy, loads up his 4 wheel with dogs and guns and heads bush every month or so. In the burbs I agree there is a stigma attached. It is less tolerated, and rightly so in many instances.

We have been conditioned to a certain extent with regard to guns..because of what happened to us, and what happens in the US on a monthly, weekly basis. There is no need for self loaders. The only purpose I find is the need to unleash a spray of high powered bullets with one finger. Or shoot down model planes :)
I just don't have the interest now for guns. I have a couple of friends ask me to go to the range, or out west shooting regularly. I'd rather play a round of golf :)

We were a much freer society, until people pick up Autos and commit mass murder. Which we started to do. Then we lose some of our freedoms because of it.

Don't read my posts too closely, you could end up as twisted as I.....Cricket is a fickle game these days, did they get the pay rise they wanted?

Old Merve doing stretch exercises in front of the crowd...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rbkwp and Ed69

LISTEN
not that im pro ISRAEL
different perspective?

RTX2N05O.jpg

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-11-21/israel-gun-ownership-privilege-rather-right?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The Scan Nov 21&utm_content=The Scan Nov 21+CID_941f34f43784a6090530e2fb67a7a11a&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=gun in Israel
Israel never went through the commercial advertising and marketing campaigns that the US did.

Reactions: rbkwp