Gun control

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
1) A lot of states can barely afford to fix their own roads and fund public services, nevermind fund something like that. That's if you can get the LEOs to cooperate.
raise the taxes, then you will have enough money for your roads AND new laws
And you have the populace that aren't so ready to just turn in their guns and will fight to keep them, there are lots of people that truly live by the "from my cold, dead hands" mentality.
in this case, they would become criminals... i guess americans know how to treat them :wink:
2) It's all the black market. Just because you might not be able to get weed & a firearm in the same place, doesn't mean you still won't be able to get one despite whatever laws are in place.
sure you will get a weapon, if you really want... but it will become way more difficult
1) Just today over in China, some crazy fucker stabbed 22 people. Someone could easily do that or worse with a sword.
no he couldnt...
if someone attacks me with a sword, to run could be already enough, to protect myself.
if you attack with a gun, to run wouldnt do it for me...

and i havent heared of that crazy chinese guy. i doubt that he killed 22 peoply with a knife
2) In my neck of the desert (which isn't by any means rural), we have problems with coyotes, stray (and often rabid) dogs, snakes, and wild & feral pigs. While the coyotes & snakes aren't "that" bad, the pigs & dogs are quite aggressive and will go after people. Often while they're getting in or out of their cars or heading inside their home or a business. And they aren't that rare, either.
i doubt that you need a M4A1 to shoot a dog or pig...
but even to start with the rifles would be to mutch for many americans.

And with this post you have jumped the shark. Have fun talking to yourself . . .
you just proof, that you dont wanna see the effects of your behavior

Last edited:

Fuzzy_

Legendary Member
Media
This is one of the most reasonable statements I've seen in this thread, or any gun control thread on this site. Thank you for this.

It's nice to see someone blame, not the gun, but the person who wields it.

Thanks. Fuzzy wasn't claiming that accidents don't happen (you're 50% more likely to be shot by your own gun than by an assailant's) or that easy access to guns, especially for those with mental issues, is a good thing.

But if the gun wasn't there, you could let the poor guy out of the padded cell...

Good point, but there is such flimsy evidence that gun control works at preventing harm in the US. For example, in the mid 70's, Washington DC banned guns and crime rates steadily went up for the next 20 years.

Even if guns were controlled, Timothy McVeigh used a bomb, that guy in China used a knife. There comes a point where we have to just say "fuck it" and stop bubble wrapping our lives or arming ourselves to the hilt on the rare chance that they'll be a victim.

Last edited:

hairynyc

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

blazblue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's far too late to talk about truly meaningly gun control. This country is awash in firearms and there are no remedies that would meet Constitutional muster to change the status quo. All we can do now is "tamper around the edges" of the issue. A return to the assault weapons ban that expired in 1994, limitations on large-capacity magazines for both rifles and handguns, limitations on "cop killer" bullets, closing the gun show registration and background check loophole, and possibly providing mental health professionals and college administrators the same type of liability immunity we give to persons reporting possible child abuse cases, so long as you report "in good faith" a person who they believe is too unstable to acquire access to a firearm.

I am still deeply troubled that the perpetrators in the Giffords and Aurora theater shootings were both banned from their respective college/university campuses for threatening behavior, but were not reported to law enforcement or added to a firearms purchase exclusion list. Even the Virginia Tech shooter displayed obviously signs of mental illness to the extent that his creative writing teacher tutored him privately since he was unable to interact appropriately in a regular classroom setting and Nikki Giovanni expelled him from her poetry class. We know that psychosis frequently manifests in late adolescence and the early twenties. And yet we appear fearful to call "crazy" out and take affirmative steps to get these individuals connected to mental health services and reported to law enforcement.

So, in my opinion, we need at least a two front approach: mental health services enhancement/reporting and some constructive prohibitions on weapons acquisition. But even these two interventions can't protect us and our children from a defective psyche bent on murder. They may, however, be able to thwart some individuals from committing these heinous acts. And curbing just some of these psychopaths may, sadly enough, be the best we accomplish under the circumstances.

Word MR.

blazblue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The problem with this discussion when you think about it is that it really isn't about gun control at all. It's more about whether or not the role of government should be expanded overall to protect people from incidents like and other situations. People who think that guns are the answer to everything are usually the same ones that think that government should be reduced to nothingness. MR's right that we should tighten gun control laws while treating more people with mental illnesses. But that would mean a big expansion of government which some people like big business and/or the libertarian/right-wing crowd don't want which I feel what this is really about.

Maybe what our country really has isn't so much a gun problem but a greed problem.

Last edited:

hairynyc

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the only thing that was printed was the "ammunition holder" (dont know the english word) - and even this part melted after 6 shot
The point of the article was to point out how committed to gun ownership many people in this country are and to back up the point balsary was making about what people can produce. That guy is not going to stop working on the project and the technology will only get better.

I wish we didn't have the gun problem we do here, but you're living in a fantasy land if you think we just need to pass laws and then go around collecting guns from people.

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The point of the article was to point out how committed to gun ownership many people in this country are and to back up the point balsary was making about what people can produce. That guy is not going to stop working on the project and the technology will only get better.

I wish we didn't have the gun problem we do here, but you're living in a fantasy land if you think we just need to pass laws and then go around collecting guns from people.
i never said, create laws collect guns and the problem is solved... BUT it would be a first good step

D_Ty_Le_Knott

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Try paintball / gotcha
Or try sex... Its also fun AND it creates life

If you think about it paintball is still a type of violence. Same with shooting games like Halo or Call of Duty. There's a huge correlation with video game violence and real life violence, so you'd have to ban not only real guns, but also ban video games, and all that stuff.

h0neymustard

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I read the shooter tried to buy a gun from a store, and was denied.
Well never mind - his parents already had a few lying round the house... so no need for him to fret. :rolleyes:

No guns in the parents house (or lock them up safely) = this incident might not have happened.

There's a huge correlation with video game violence and real life violence, so you'd have to ban not only real guns, but also ban video games, and all that stuff.
Do it!

I find it weird how strict the US is on sex censorship, but anything goes in terms of violence. The UK isn't much better, I admit - but at least we allow the sex, lol. :p

blazblue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If you think about it paintball is still a type of violence. Same with shooting games like Halo or Call of Duty. There's a huge correlation with video game violence and real life violence, so you'd have to ban not only real guns, but also ban video games, and all that stuff.

Not really. Tons of people (along with myself) play video games all the time and don't commit acts of violence. Politicians here in the states have been trying to argue that BS for decades now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

frankli

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It's far too late to talk about truly meaningly gun control. This country is awash in firearms and there are no remedies that would meet Constitutional muster to change the status quo. All we can do now is "tamper around the edges" of the issue. A return to the assault weapons ban that expired in 1994, limitations on large-capacity magazines for both rifles and handguns, limitations on "cop killer" bullets, closing the gun show registration and background check loophole, and possibly providing mental health professionals and college administrators the same type of liability immunity we give to persons reporting possible child abuse cases, so long as you report "in good faith" a person who they believe is too unstable to acquire access to a firearm.

I am still deeply troubled that the perpetrators in the Giffords and Aurora theater shootings were both banned from their respective college/university campuses for threatening behavior, but were not reported to law enforcement or added to a firearms purchase exclusion list. Even the Virginia Tech shooter displayed obviously signs of mental illness to the extent that his creative writing teacher tutored him privately since he was unable to interact appropriately in a regular classroom setting and Nikki Giovanni expelled him from her poetry class. We know that psychosis frequently manifests in late adolescence and the early twenties. And yet we appear fearful to call "crazy" out and take affirmative steps to get these individuals connected to mental health services and reported to law enforcement.

So, in my opinion, we need at least a two front approach: mental health services enhancement/reporting and some constructive prohibitions on weapons acquisition. But even these two interventions can't protect us and our children from a defective psyche bent on murder. They may, however, be able to thwart some individuals from committing these heinous acts. And curbing just some of these psychopaths may, sadly enough, be the best we accomplish under the circumstances.

WOW, What a relief that this sense was posted amid the crossfire. I vote for MR. with these 2 cents added:
The right to bear arms needs redressing due to the changed geo-political times and the technological advances of the today's 'arms'. The revered US founders, I imagine, would weep to know the innocent lives lost due to this 'right'. It is inappropriate doctrine for the 21st century. tinker with gun laws sure, but another root to the problem is the outdated ideology which leads to an inordinate passion for firearms unique to US men ( as though it's a measure of patriotism)

ALSO Big-ups to Daisy, and not just for her pics

1. Tougher gun laws. It's more difficult to adopt a dog from a shelter than to buy a gun

2. Mental health services (and better legislation for family who can see someone's gone off the deep end but can't do anything about it)

3. When you put out games where the object is to kill as many people as possible do we REALLY wonder why young people are desensitized to violence? Its on TV and movies and video games. Violence is fun!

I don't really care to debate politics about this. There are a lot of grieving parents today who just want something to be done.

h0neymustard

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well never mind - his parents already had a few lying round the house... so no need for him to fret. :rolleyes:

No guns in the parents house (or lock them up safely) = this incident might not have happened.

You know he killed his mother to access them right? This makes me believe she kept them safe enough that the only way to the guns was through her.

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Do it!

I find it weird how strict the US is on sex censorship, but anything goes in terms of violence. The UK isn't much better, I admit - but at least we allow the sex, lol. :p
in germany its the opposit, what a luck...
2pm tv shows show boobs and nipples and a lots of ego-shooter are censored or not even on the market.

a movie with naked people can be free for everyone above 12 years, but the Sesame Street is censored and some parts are replaced by german productions (to mutch violence :biggrin1:)

we censore the english FUCK YOU cause its "in", but no one cares for the german FICK DICH

Last edited:

D_Ty_Le_Knott

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not really. Tons of people (along with myself) play video games all the time and don't commit acts of violence. Politicians here in the states have been trying to argue that BS for decades now. :rolleyes:

There's been studies done. In my psychology class we did a study on it ourselves where we had to put a person in front of some type of violence for a certain amount of hours and see how they react in situations, and most (not all) reacted in severe manners (ex. raising of voice, irritation, anger) which leads to violence... I'm not saying I want video games like Halo or Call of Duty off the shelves (I play some myself), but the way people seem to be arguing that's the only thing to do, and because you or I or anyone else play violent video games and don't act on it, doesn't mean that some psycho like this guy in CT won't...