Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
House Votes To Renew Violence Against Women Act, Despite GOP Opposition | HuffPost
"The House voted Thursday to reauthorize a 25-year-old law that helps victims of domestic and sexual violence, despite complaints by Republicans that Democrats were politicizing the popular law by expanding gun control.

The bill to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act includes a provision making it easier to take away guns from violent offenders even if they are not a spouse or domestic partner. The amendment closes the so-called “boyfriend loophole” by barring those convicted of abusing, assaulting or stalking a current or former dating partner from owning a firearm.

Supporters said the measure was crucial to protect women in the United States, who die from gun violence at rates far higher than other high-income countries.

Louisiana Rep. Steve Scalise, the second-ranking House Republican..."

[whose head is FIRMLY planted up Trump's ASS]

"... accused Speaker Nancy Pelosi of intentionally allowing the domestic violence law to expire in February despite bipartisan support for extending it."

I'm a woman, and I'm a gun owner. I own them because I did in fact grow up steeped in gun culture. It's normal to me.

However: I do not expect to be more safe because of my firearms. In fact, there is a possibility that one of the guns that I own, one of MY OWN GUNS could be the one to end my life.

I understand completely why women feel more safe with a gun, but I can't help but wonder how likely it really is that in the heat of an attack how many people, man or woman, would actually be able to get to their concealed gun and successfully use it to defend themselves. Particularly if the person being attacked is a woman much smaller than her male attacker.

I'm not saying I don't think anyone should ever carry a gun for self-defense. It's more complicated than that.

These monsters who want to ignore or outright oppose trying to keep women from being shot aren't interested in my ability to own a gun for "my safety", because they have the stats. Owning a firearm doesn't make you safer, it actually makes you more likely to get shot. They oppose a law that supports keeping women safe from gun violence so they can scare more women into buying guns for "self-defense" when they know it's bullshit anyway.

Fucking. Sociopaths.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Seems PLCCA the act that protects gun makers and dealers from criminal liability, passed mostly by Republicans in 2005, and signed into law by G.W. Bush, was based upon a lie:

Sandy Hook families proved Congress lied to pass the NRA’s favorite bill.

"... the Connecticut court found that the Sandy Hook suit could proceed under a broad interpretation of one of the exceptions to legal immunity in PLCAA... The court held this exception broad enough to allow the families to proceed with one of their claims: that Bushmaster had violated Connecticut’s law against unfair trade practices by knowingly marketing the assault rifle to civilians for use in offensive, military-style attacks.

In interpreting PLCAA, the court conducted an exhaustive examination of its legislative history and, particularly, the claims of its congressional supporters about the narrow scope of the legal immunity it would give the industry. One conclusion is undeniable from the court’s discussion: PLCAA was based on a lie.

The lie was that Congress needed to protect gun-makers from a series of predatory lawsuits..."

Reactions: deleted15807

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
personally
still think we are a pissed off nation that the govt/s allowed the guns/that sort to be 'floating around'
spoken to enough family/friends to come to that conclusion
no ones saying anything but someones responsible for them being available in the first instance

the US, which experiences far more mass shootings, has become accustomed to "thoughts and prayers" and little action from lawmakers in the wake of gun violence.

New ban on semiautomatic weapons in New Zealand
  • New Zealand’s Parliament passed a ban on most types of semiautomatic weapons on Wednesday, 119 to one. It started as a temporary restriction after the mosque shootings in Christchurch that killed 50 people; now, after royal assent from the governor general (largely seen as a formality), it will become a permanent law. One of the banned weapons is the AR-15, which the mosque shooter used. [Slate / Elliot Hannon]
  • It took only one mass shooting to occur for New Zealand to decide to implement these restrictions. The ban includes a six-month buyback program that allows owners of semiautomatic weapons to get rid of them. [Vox / German Lopez]
  • If citizens do not comply with the buyback during those six months, they will be subject to up to five years in prison and all their remaining prohibited weapons will be confiscated. There are exemptions for pest control professionals and licensed antique gun collectors. [NPR / Matthew S. Schwartz]
  • Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, speaking before lawmakers, said she knew a ban like this would be passed after a police commissioner described the deadliness of the guns, which can be easily modified to hold more than 60 bullets per magazine. “We are ultimately here because 50 people died and they do not have a voice,” Ardern said. [NPR / Matthew S. Schwartz]
  • The ban was declared less than a month after the shootings. Meanwhile, the US, which experiences far more mass shootings, has become accustomed to "thoughts and prayers" and little action from lawmakers in the wake of gun violence. [Daily News / Jessica Schladebeck]

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

phonehome

Superior Member
Media
If you have a kid you are "responsible for" die as result of your neglect or negligence you can expect to be charged with something, even in a ruby red state like GA but have it be as result of you leaving your gun lying around and at least in those "red states" they will all but throw you a parade

Trigger locks, having the gun locked up, having the gun empty and the ammo locked up or both locked up and not in the same "lock box" Oh no , can't have that, it is just so way more important to have it out and available and ready to be used at a micro seconds notice and if 5 YO's are getting killed or doing the killing every time you turn around it's "oh fucking well" .Having that unfettered almighty 2nd amendment is more important

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
yes
shake my head each time i see an entry in this thread
incredulous at the sheer blatant ignorance re thse who are placed in authorty by us and could/should be doing somethng about it
bloody pathetic society we are
then you have nutters who insist they have a/the right
double nah treble fuckwits

and if 5 YO's are getting killed or doing the killing every time you turn around it's "oh fucking well" .Having that unfettered almighty 2nd amendment is more important

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
and why not
SHAME/ON YOU AMERICA
will lei it slip by again like most things you want to conveniently ignore

20 years of school shootings in America

When the Columbine shooting happened in 1999, the survivors had no concept of what a school shooting was. Neither did most of America.

“We thought there was some sort of unknown or undisclosed senior prank going on — something to do with fireworks in the parking lot,” said Zach Cartaya, now 37, who survived the shooting and has since started an organization that helps survivors of mass shootings.

Twenty years later, school shootings have become a staple of news cycles, and active shooter drills have been put into place in schools across the country. School shootings have become a thing all students know about and, to some extent, expect to happen.

Watch our segment, which originally aired on VICE News Tonight on HBO.

Reactions: gr8gatsby

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
whatta sick sick sect/cult society
shows how thick people allow themselves to become, following orgs like this following govts who have no intention of curbing such

kids massacred, and... etc etc
fill in your own thoughts
20 years of it... and no one says fuck all about it

no one in the USA seems to have any interest to do anything about it,except the kids
this 'green' bullshit more of a priotrity huh
fucken bullshit as well

to think Australia was proven to have participated in there sick behaviour

TOP STORIES
Insurgents at the N.R.A. are trying to oust Wayne LaPierre, the group’s longtime chief and the foremost voice of the American gun-rights movement.
Friday, April 26, 2019 6:18 PM EST
The confrontation pits Mr. LaPierre, the organization’s longtime chief executive, against its recently installed president, Oliver L. North, the central figure in the Reagan-era Iran-contra affair, who remains a hero to many on the right.

Behind it is a widening crisis involving a legal battle between the N.R.A. and its most influential contractor, Ackerman McQueen, amid renewed threats from regulators in New York, where the N.R.A. is chartered, to investigate the group’s tax-exempt status.

Reactions: twoton

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
not to forget, he was/is an AMERICAN HERO n many peoples minds huh ... Y/N
perfection at work huh

im sure its time for a gunlover/NRA lover to make a oneoff appearance and have a go at me, pooh pooh

News Desk
The N.R.A. Ousts Oliver North and Stifles Debate on Financial Wrongdoing
As New York’s attorney general announced a new investigation, the group’s board appeared to rally behind Wayne LaPierre.

By Brian Freskos

oh
and just a reminder
so conveniently forgotten at times

20 years of school shootings in America

Reactions: thirteenbyseven

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hurray! This piece of shit is my actual state representative...

Texans: Are you ready for ‘Constitutional Carry,’ the unlicensed carry of handguns?

There may be a new gun fight at the Texas Capitol next year.

State Rep. Jonathan Stickland has filed a bill to allow “Constitutional Carry” — to let any Texan who legally owns a handgun carry it openly or concealed without first getting a permit— across the state.

Texas House speaker says he's received 'repeated death threats' from gun rights advocates

NRA gun nuts are now threatening to murder the Republican speaker of the Republican controlled Texas house of representatives because he doesn't think removing training requirements from firearm purchases is a great idea.

The bill was removed from consideration after NRA gun nuts started showing up at the private homes of Texas legislators to threaten / scare them into voting for the bill.

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pasco man accidentally shoots himself at Publix

Pasco County in central Florida is where men know how to pack heat and those against firearms are liberal wimps and sissies. Carrying a concealed weapon is perfectly safe-- provided you have the right stuff.

The Publix supermarket at SR 54 and Collier Parkway is among the largest of the chain's stores in terms of square footage. On any given day hundreds of shoppers are roaming the aisles grabbing groceries or lining-up for baked good or waiting for delicious rotisserie chicken to come fresh out of the oven. Concealed among these shoppers was one of an infinite number of Florida yahoos with a gun hidden somewhere beneath his exploding stomach in his jeans.

Shoppers suddenly heard a loud sound. Wild Bill Hickock-with-a-gun's mouth probably flew open in-shock displaying less than a full complement of teeth. Although it wasn't directly reported on-air, the inference was that the gun discharged downward in the direction of the man's crown jewels. He will make a somewhat full recovery.

Florida police officer’s gun discharges in school cafeteria as students line up for lunch, investigation launched

A week prior to the above incident and a few miles east on State Road 54, one of Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco's finest was guarding the children at Thomas E. Weightman Middle School at lunch. As Florida's future moved along in the buffet line eying the latest nutritious state approved food, mostly consisting of fruits and vegetables no kid in his right mind would prefer over pizza or hamburgers, they too heard a loud, sharp sound. The officer's mouth flew open and he probably uttered profanities in front of the tender ears of the assembled youngsters. Fortunately his gun discharged harmlessly off the floor and into a brick wall.

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They were standing at a Publix register when her purse fell. Her Derringer fired and hit him.

The Pasco County Sheriffs Office as well as all the news outlets in Tampa Bay gathered the facts of the case, compared notes, and as a result issued a major correction on the story. The shots fired call at Publix was all over a retired Florida couple-- with appropriate Florida retired couple names of Vernon and Lillian. They were at a check-out counter when her purse toppled over and a teeny-tiny Derringer in her purse fired, hitting her husband in the ankle. Nobody get excited.

Well folks my wife and I, when we're in our Florida home, shop at that exact Publix supermarket several times a week. I can tell you there are probably a dozen checkout counters lined two-deep-- one if front of the other-- in that enormous grocery store. If granny's gun had injured (or worse) another shopper in-line, this story wouldn't have been so benign.

Watch a hottie with puppies that defy gravity demonstrate a Cobra Derringer .22 caliber Magnum handgun. Nothing like a date shooting weapons as foreplay for what comes next. Wow, that puny pistol has some recoil! Almost as much as a .50 caliber sniper rifle! "Hang-on to it." She was aiming for the woods and could have hit a bird or UFO.

Last edited:

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Confession: My job position is a political appointment. There are many times when I can't speak my mind--and probably shouldn't be speaking at all. A man's got to stand for his principals, but a man's also got to put food on the table.

But I am raging inside about the whole gun culture in the U.S. As far as I'm concerned, no one in the U.S. should have the right to own a firearm. The Second Amendment shouldn't even exist. I'm sick of the bullshit. I'm sick that people--children--are dying so that Americans can maintain their false right to own firearms. It's all bullshit. Over and over again, it's bullshit.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Cultural Comment School Shootings and the Heroes Who Shouldn’t Be
At stem School Highlands Ranch, in Colorado, and at U.N.C. Charlotte, students died confronting gunmen. Their courage does not make their deaths any less senseless.
By Doreen St. Félixto think your govts will allow it to continue, for eternity
aperats there is no desre for anyone,of authority that can do/propose acts have any intention of changing such

absolutely sick and pathetic its allowed to continue
signs of a very weak society, not even taking heed of upcomming youngsters/generations and there concerns

Cultural Comment
School Shootings and the Heroes Who Shouldn’t Be

At stem School Highlands Ranch, in Colorado, and at U.N.C. Charlotte, students died confronting gunmen. Their courage does not make their deaths any less senseless.

By Doreen St. Félix

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
yet another dodgy USA outfit
whats new, more corruption is all

nothing ever straight nor honest

At the N.R.A., a Cash Machine Sputtering
As the gun rights group lavished pay and perks on its leaders and partners, fueling infighting, it increasingly relied on its own charity for funds. Tax experts have questions.

merlin_151405125_ec1e9e05-4be4-4453-ac94-1deccab5613e-articleLarge.jpg

Wayne LaPierre, the N.R.A.’s longtime chief executive, earns more than $1.4 million a year and has billed hundreds of thousands of dollars in expenses.CreditCreditAlex Wong/Getty Images

merlin_154060788_cd224401-b701-40c0-b967-c0e78cd3ce28-articleLarge.jpg

As the N.R.A. lavished pay and perks on its leaders and partners, it increasingly relied on its own charity for funds. Tax experts have questions.
Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:56 PM EST
A review of tax records by The New York Times shows that, to steady its finances, the powerful gun rights group has increasingly relied on cash infusions and other transactions involving its affiliated foundation — at least $206 million worth since 2010.

The role of the charity is among the issues being examined in a new investigation into the N.R.A.’s tax-exempt status by the New York attorney general, Letitia James.

Read More »

At the N.R.A., a Cash Machine Sputtering