"Guns, Germs, and Steel" totally discredited by its own author

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wyldgusechaz, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

All you sheep that pray to the altar of Jared Diamond's book need to explain/reconcile how he wrote that book and all that he tried to prove
    with this damning quote of his

">>>>>>>>The explanation that the Ashkenazic disease genes must have some hidden value has long been accepted by other researchers, but no one could find a convincing infectious disease or other threat to which the Ashkenazic genetic ailments might confer protection.

A second suggestion, wrote Dr. Jared Diamond of the University of California, Los Angeles, in a 1994 article, "is selection in Jews for the intelligence putatively required to survive recurrent persecution, and also to make a living by commerce, because Jews were barred from the agricultural jobs available to the non-Jewish population."

The Utah researchers have built on this idea, arguing that for some 900 years Jews in Europe were restricted to managerial occupations, which were intellectually demanding, that those who were more successful also left more offspring, and that there was time in this period for the intelligence of the Ashkenazi population as a whole to become appreciably enhanced.<<<<<<<<<<

How can one possibly believe his book and it premise when he himself suggests a genetic selective pressure for Jewish intelligence?

What a charlatan.

2. mindseye

Gold Member

So, you found a single sentence taken out of context from a fifteen-year-old article, and that's supposed to mean something?

Stop letting Jonah Goldberg do your "research" for you.

Have you read the article in which that sentence originally appeared to see what it said in context?

3. AquaEyes11010

AquaEyes11010 Active Member

Albums:
    I believe the first quote refers to Tay Sachs, which is more common within the Ashkenazic population. I have read the book to which you refer, though I have lent it out at the moment and can't refer to the actual text, but as I remember, Diamond was describing the possible genetic advantage to carrying one copy of the gene responsible for cystic fibrosis. This gene is more common among people of European descent, and he inferred a possible advantage being a resistance to tuberculosis or plague (again, I can't remember exactly off-hand). Discussing a possible selection pressure for intelligence among Ashkenazic Jews is a different subject, thus it appears you are comparing apples to oranges. Diamond has taken a lot of heat for his pragmatic explanations for western civilization's domination over the world, but in reality, he simply examined the human species and offered biological, ecological and cultural explanations for its population dispersal over history. People seem to want to read apologies for the harsh history of European civilization's plunders, but Diamond's book removes the personal and examines the process as one would study a population of non-humans. And let us not forget that civilizations have been overtaken throughout history and pre-history. We are the last living bi-pedal ape. Do you think the others went peaceably?
    :)

4. midlifebear

Gold Member

There he goes again, trolling for excuses to back up the inferiority of his own intelligence. Sigh.

5. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

Yes I can. Because the basic premise of his book is that circumstance, location, access to flora and fauna, explain why Europe dominated the world and not racial differences in intelligence.

The minute he married the word *selection* to *intelligence*, he voided his whole book premise. If there are no differences in the races there cannot have been any selective pressures. You simply cannot have both. They are mutually exclusive.

6. mindseye

Gold Member

I asked "Have you read...", and you answered "Yes I can".

That answer is ironically unpersuasive.

7. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    You're so f*cking transparent, man.

God, it must infuriate you when someone so much smarter than you can read you like a goddamn travel pamphlet.

You're pathetic.

But hey, what do I know. I'm just saying this because I'm "PC". ("PC" being the term we use for people more intelligent than us who won't sit idly by while we spout a bunch of crackpot racist bullshit quasi-"science" on a big dick forum.)

You done posting threads about this, mouth-breather? Because I know I'm bored reading your feeble attempts to push your racist agenda on people.

8. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

You completely skirted the crux of my post. Nice cowardly straw man pummeling. Now get to the meat: How can he marry *selection* and *intelligence* in Ashkenazi Jews, and then deny its existence in the entire rest of the world?

Give me a sound reason and not just a bullshit pussy post about nonsense.

9. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    There'd be no point. You didn't post this to inspire conversation or because you want to be "reasoned with". You posted it to troll me.

My response to that: Go fuck yourself, dumbass.

Draft saved Draft deleted