Guys at the Gym in the locker room

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Obviously people have a right to cover up if they want to. However, doing so certainly seems awkward and inconvenient.

In addition to experiencing considerable nudity at the downtown YMCA in Minneapolis, I had my first experiences with nude beaches in Minneapolis. Later, when I moved to San Diego, I often visited a nude beach at which there were sometimes thousands of nude people. It got to the point that I hardly noticed.

vietballa

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Good job at pointing out the obvious. :rolleyes:

There are multiple reasons, and they are also quite obvious. It's not rocket science why younger people are more modest.

They have every legal right to act as such. I don't know why it bothers you so much. If you want to go nude, that's fine. If not, that's fine, too. The locker room is for changing and showering, not perving on others.

HamYai

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
In Iceland, everyone walks around totally naked in the locker room and the communal showers.

It was the first place I ever encountered an entire roomfull of guys with shaved genitals, also.

All Icelandics (male and female - I asked my wife) shave their cocks/pussies.

I felt so out of place with my towel wrapped around my waist and my hairy bollocks that I started shaving, thereafter (as did my wife, strangely enough).

Where I reside, it's not really the done thing to show or shave or shave or show.

Shame.

Tanvir

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'd like to point out to people invoking classical examplesl (Tanvir) that the ancient greeks were also pederasts. Yes, it worked in the societal structure of the day, but we do not live in that structure. Wearing clothes in the shower may be contrary to the purpose of the shower, and that wearing a towel in the locker room may be more modest than is necessary in a unisex locker room, but that is the nature of the society today. I would argue that modesty is a necessary aspect of society, but all things in moderation and both too much and too little can be harmful. Having said that, though, there are a number of comments about people checking other people out in gyms. If something like that makes someone uncomfortable, aren't they warranted in exercising their modesty?

I think you are confusing modesty with vanity, and they're two different things. Modesty is a courtesy to others around you, while vanity is solely for the individual's comfort. Covering my arse to spare you offense or embarassment is an act of modesty. On the contrary, covering my cock, be it graciously large or pitifully small, to spare myself your judgment-that's simple VANITY! :lol:

It is not "the nature of the society today", but an overindulgence of body image hysteria and homophobia-some of both, I think most here would agree-by a few young men, who regularly workout at the gym. God man, just look at the damn YouTube, all the idiots jumping into rivers and backyard pools naked! LOL I once worked with a very funny guy from the South, who used to wade stark naked in a creek behind our business park, because this is what the guys did in his hometown. This awkwardness may be the norm for the cities and suburbs, but it doesn't mean that all of America is that way.

Don't get me wrong. When these assholes in the lockerroom stare and gesture after you tell them back off, I also cover up and get very nasty with them. I've reported more than a few. However I refuse to use this as an excuse to hide myself from everyone and call it "modesty". That would drive me nuts!

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I can think of only two times when I was made uncomfortable by staring; I'll relate one of them.

I had gone to the downtown YMCA in Minneapolis to use the indoor track since snow and ice made it impossible to run outside. As I was changing from my street clothes, a kid asked me where the weight room was, and I told him. After running a few miles on the indoor track, I began to take a shower. I noticed that the same kid (a good looking black kid, perhaps 16 years old) was staring at me and had a huge erection (perhaps 8"). It made me extremely uncomfortable. Although he was very attractive, I wanted nothing to do with him, but I was afraid that I might also get an erection right there in the shower room with all the other guys there. However, I managed not to, by some miracle. I pretended that the kid was invisible and turned my back to him. As an excuse to get a frontal view of me, he walked over to the swimming pool door and peaked through it; that made me even more uncomfortable. When I went to the drying area, he followed me there and stood right by me, still with the big erection. After drying myself, I walked to my locker, and he followed me there and sat on a bench while I got dressed. After getting dressed, I got out of the locker room as quickly as possible. I do not understand how he had the nerve to behave like that. It was the most unnerving thing that ever happened to me in a locker room, and I'm glad that it never happened again. I don't know how I could have handled the situation any better. However, that kind of behavior could cause someone to have a failure of self-discipline and get into serious trouble.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
People seem to get so hung-up about nudity. It's weird. It seems like the more people want to cover up, the more they want to see naked flesh. If it was all on display "on demand" as it were, nobody would bat an eyelid, but because everyone's making such a fuss about covering up and not letting anyone see their bits, it becomes an obsession. It seems odd that a society which has so much sex and nudity on TV and in film is so puritanical about nudity in the flesh. It's OK to see it on TV or in the cinema, but God forbid that you'll see it in your locker room at the gym! It's also strange that people who will quite happily masturbate for all the world to see on a webcam nearly kill themselves by tripping and banging their head on a bench in the locker room because they can't balance properly while trying get their boxers on under a towel because they're too self-conscious to strip off in front of people they might well have been camming with the night before.

Calcium, you can't link nudity with pederasty. Neither causes, leads to or depends on the other.

D

deleted15807

People seem to get so hung-up about nudity. It's weird. It seems like the more people want to cover up, the more they want to see naked flesh. If it was all on display "on demand" as it were, nobody would bat an eyelid, but because everyone's making such a fuss about covering up and not letting anyone see their bits, it becomes an obsession. It seems odd that a society which has so much sex and nudity on TV and in film is so puritanical about nudity in the flesh. It's OK to see it on TV or in the cinema, but God forbid that you'll see it in your locker room at the gym!

There really isn't much sex and nudity in cinema in the US. It's all implied. The movie rating system in the US ensures nothing really liberating ever makes it to the screen except violence. You can show genitals getting blown off but you can't show someone getting blown.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:

milkyca

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I find it hilarious that the same people who want to force everyone to strip totally nude the second they step into the locker room - whilst being stared at obscenely - would throw a fit if told that covering up in the locker room was mandatory.

The self-righteous nonsense "If someone's bothered by me being nude... tough!" is accompanied by protestations against anyone who deigns to be modest. Maybe if you stopped treating the locker room like a cruising spot, more males would be likely to uncover.

teddy03

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
All Icelandics (male and female - I asked my wife) shave their cocks/pussies.

Really? How disturbing...
Do you mean entirely shaved? Because I don't get why somebody would find that look attractive. You look like a pre-pubescent child. It's not right.

B_punylilpecker

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
when i was a kid, i used to cover-up in the shower room because i was so small, but after many years of being teased about my little dick, i finally adapted and learned to enjoy the humiliation. now, being humiliated by another man or a woman turns me on. i'm a pretty buff mesomorph with a tiny dick, and i spend a lot of time in the showers at my local Y checking out the well hung men. i think most men enjoy another man admiring their body or perhaps just their equipment. oddly enough, the guys who bad vibe me for staring at their cocks are the ones i usually wind up sucking.

puslover

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
i'm in the younger generation, but I get naked at the gym when i change clothes and use the shower. The only time I feel strange in the shower is when there is someone beside me that keeps their shorts on. It just seems odd when I am naked and several people around me that are around my age go to great lengths to avoid showing their bodies. It's like they are afraid to show me something of themselves that I am already showing them.

I too feel strange when i'm nude in the shower room and the person across from me is wearing shorts.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Once, in the shower at the downtown YMAC in Minneapolis, while my face was covered with soap and I was unable to see, I felt the hand of the guy next to me reaching over. That was totally unacceptable and I responded with my fist. Not surprisingly, I missed since I was unable to see. After that, that guy was afraid of me, which was fine with me.

It's one thing to glance discreetly, but quite another thing to try to grope.

Mattness

Expert Member
Media
Kirkland, WA (Outside of Seattle, Washington)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So when I use the sauna, I wear a towel around myself when I am in there. You all think it is ok not too? Most guys do, so that is why I do it.

Yes, wearing a towel in the steam room and sauna is MANDATORY. Your ASS JUICE isn't welcomed on the benches to cause infection for the rest of us, thanks! :mad:

monsternmypant

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Your ASS JUICE isn't welcomed on the benches to cause infection for the rest of us, thanks! :mad:

A properly maintained sauna or steam room should be hot enough to kill any organisms from one's "ass juice." Contracting MRSA from contact surfaces in the locker room or the workout room is a far greater concern than anything that may have come from another man's bum to the sauna bench, unless one eagerly licks up after his gym brother.

D

deleted294834

Yes, wearing a towel in the steam room and sauna is MANDATORY. Your ASS JUICE isn't welcomed on the benches to cause infection for the rest of us, thanks! :mad:

Mattness:

I agree with you that a bare assed guy sitting in the sauna is not very hygiene friendly. What I was asking is if it is acceptable to be sitting on a towel in the sauna, but not necessarily covering your crotch.

I was not implying getting my ASS JUICE on anything other than a towel.

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A properly maintained sauna or steam room should be hot enough to kill any organisms from one's "ass juice." Contracting MRSA from contact surfaces in the locker room or the workout room is a far greater concern than anything that may have come from another man's bum to the sauna bench, unless one eagerly licks up after his gym brother.

HAHAHA and ew! :)