Guys who aren't into watching or playing sports: Gay?

If a guy says he doesn't enjoy sports, do you start to think he might be gay?

• Total voters

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
This is a great question. When I was in NY, MOST of my straight friends were not into sports at all. Actually all of their weekend time was spent looking for chicks. Only time they would even think about sports was the superbowl. So my answer is NO. Strange thing is, when I moved to AZ, it seems a lot more people here are into sports. Almost everyone I talked to, even gay guys, are into sports here. When they ask me and I say I'm not into sports, they think I'm nuts. It might be that there isn't much to do here but sports related stuff. In NY, not watching sports didn't seem like a big deal.
I don't know. Yankees set MLB attendance record. Jets and Giants have a ten year waiting list for season tickets, Rangers and Knicks regularly sold out, until the recession.

Were your straight friends from NY or transplants?

I do have to agree with a couple of the other posters, many people who can still play, would prefer to be out there doing, as opposed to home watching. I used to do both. Play during the day, and record the games to watch at night.

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This has to be one of the most inane questions I've heard. Turn it around...Women who aren't into cooking, cleaning and procreating: Gay? Guys who aren't into watching or playing sports: Gay? Are these really the parameters used to prejudge sexual orientation? Sad...

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
When someone expresses his dislike for professional and college football, the average Joe is very perplexed. They think, "What is wrong with you?" :confused::confused:

When someone expresses his dislike for basketball or baseball, the average Joe is just a little surprised and might think you're a little unusual.

Other sports, society doesn't really care if you like them or not. It's optional, although rednecks might force you to like Nascar:biggrin1:.

I don't see the gay label being put on men who don't like sports, considering that gay men are often presumed to hate sports.

Last edited:

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This has to be one of the most inane questions I've heard. Turn it around...Women who aren't into cooking, cleaning and procreating: Gay?

That's not "turning it around". Turning it around would be this: "Women who are into playing sports: Gay?" My answer: Not as a rule, but yeah, a lot of gay women are into playing sports.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I know a couple of straight guys who aren't into watching sports at all...
lots of people would tend to think that's gay, but that is quite ridiculous...

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You correlate the stereotypical preconception that a man must be into sports to be a heterosexual...The Antithesis would be the stereotypical preconception that a woman must be into cooking, cleaning and procreating. Your question is based on these stereotypes...which means to answer it seriously would necessitate accepting these stereotypes as fact. Forget all of that for a sec and tell me...What does being gay or straight have to do with sports?

That's not "turning it around". Turning it around would be this: "Women who are into playing sports: Gay?" My answer: Not as a rule, but yeah, a lot of gay women are into playing sports.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No, but I do believe that people who stereotype others are jerks.

There's stereotypes, and then there are patterns.

For example, research shows that gay men have better communication skills than straight men. Research also shows that gay men are more emotional than straight men, and have rates of depression and emotional disorders that are similar to the rates found in heterosexual females.

I think it's okay to acknowledge that there are differences between people. We're not all alike.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
There's stereotypes, and then there are patterns.

For example, research shows that gay men have better communication skills than straight men. Research also shows that gay men are more emotional than straight men, and have rates of depression and emotional disorders that are similar to the rates found in heterosexual females.

I think it's okay to acknowledge that there are differences between people. We're not all alike.

No, we are not. There ain't no one in the world like Bull.:biggrin1:

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You correlate the stereotypical preconception that a man must be into sports to be a heterosexual...The Antithesis would be the stereotypical preconception that a woman must be into cooking, cleaning and procreating. Your question is based on these stereotypes...which means to answer it seriously would necessitate accepting these stereotypes as fact. Forget all of that for a sec and tell me...What does being gay or straight have to do with sports?

Stereotypes are stereotypes because they're usually not 100% true, but they're also usually not 100% false either. The key is to figure out what is fact and what is fiction.

I do think that straight guys tend to enjoy watching sports more than gay guys. Participating in sports may be different, however. Obviously, this is just my opinion, and I only asked the question because I like looking at the differences between people as groups and as individuals. No harm was intended.

David187

1st Like
Media
I LOVE sports myself. But I have several male friends who are definitely not gay, and aren't that into sports. Generalizations are almost never as accurate as they seem to be on the surface.

someotherguy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I do find it funny that some people consider not watching a bunch of sweaty men jumping all over each other to be gay.

The reason I don't watch sports isn't because I'm against sweaty men rubbing against each other, it's simply because I find it boring as hell.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Love baseball - the entire thing about it - yes, the hunky men help too! Especially the Latin guys.

Reminds me of the only reason I'll watch a few minutes of football now and then: To get a good look at all of those plump asses in tights. Fuck yeah. :biggrin1:

(and all of the straight guys reading that are thinking, "Eww! Sick! Gross!" :tongue: )

dong-in-khakis

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It could be a gay attribute, (could)..I couldn't care less about sports. I am about 90% gay, a masculine guy -- I know totally gay guys who love sports, follow them and know each play, football, hockey, etc.It is wrong to automatically think it's a gay attribute. Just like a sharp dressing guy. Does he just have good taste or is that a gay attribute?A bunch of "coulds", but not a definate yes.Are all "masculine" women lesbians, no. But there are many thoughts and opinions in this world. Many times those thoughts bring forth labels.Relax.. if you don't like sports it doesn't mean you're thought of as gay.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When someone expresses his dislike for professional and college football, the average Joe is very perplexed. They think, "What is wrong with you?" :confused::confused:

I don't see the gay label being put on men who don't like sports, considering that gay men are often presumed to hate sports.

until a few years ago I had no interest in the major American sports -- NFL & NCAA football, MLB baseball, and NHL hockey

only started to follow because I found out that this super hot guy at work was a sports nut, and I wanted to have something to be able to talk about with him, outside of business matters, and was concerned what he would think if I couldn't converse about these things

once I started to follow the stuff, however, I became hooked

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight