guys with Dreadlocks

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Luvalarge-n-thick1, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Luvalarge-n-thick1

Luvalarge-n-thick1 New Member

Albums:
    Hi. I do not know if this as been touched on but I have dreadlocks some are down to my shoulder and I do keep them clean. I am kind of asking this to the guys that do not mind other guys, anyone can answer. What do you think are dreads a turn off in hookin up with you, basically what do all of you think?

2. Florida Boy

Gold Member

Dreads can be hot.

3. Luvalarge-n-thick1

Albums:
    thanks I am growing tham longer too, I am growing them for you too, mine are the long and thin ones my hair is fine

4. alfonso39

alfonso39 Member

Albums:
    we sure would love to see pics. i think dreads are hot!

5. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Personally for me, dreds only look good on a very select few people - usually black guys. If they are well kept and you keep them clean then you're doing the best you can.

6. Luvalarge-n-thick1

Albums:
    Ill try to post a few I am a little self councious how I look but Ill get over that..., Alfonso yu are huge :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. AZNEWGUY

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    For some reason, I was never even the dread thing. However, I do agree that some people could pull it off.

8. BirdinMo

BirdinMo Member

Albums:
    They are hot on SOME guys, other guys who try to do them in my book look better with just thin braids for some reason. No clue why but thats me.

9. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dreads seem to work for some black guys.

10. Principessa

Gold Member

Sorry, I'm a girl but I couldn't resist answering. :redface: Male, female, black or white I do not care for dreadlocks. Actually I deplore them on white people as it just makes them look like lame wannabes IMO.

Then again I am notoriously conservative. To me dreadlocks seem to scream: I have no desire to ever have a pension plan, 401K, new car, or a job that doesn't require a name tag or uniform.

That said, I had a neighbor in NJ whose brother is a very successful lawyer . . . in Jamaica. :cool: Call me a purist, but unless you are a true Rastafaarian, what's the point?

11. hung_me

hung_me Member

Notoriously, indeed. You make anybody who is not materialistically ambitious or antithetical to the American military-industrial complex seem terrible. Ghey.

That said, I think dreads are fucking sexy. So long as you're using your wax, and it doesn't smell like roadkill. I think I'm notoriously liberal, though, and anybody who gives any remote semblance of a 'Bohemian' edge totally turns me on.

12. Gl3nn

Gold Member

Only very few people look good with dreadlocks.

I'm not a fan of them. Like NJ said, they make people look like they don't want to be taken serious in life. I'm sure you do want to be taken seriously, but I'm just giving my opinion.

If you look good in them...keep them, otherwise...go for another haircut. I'm sure there are plenty that look good on you.

13. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie New Member

NJ: A white man's hair will dread up naturally as well, ya know... Certainly, Jamaican men aren't the only group of people who've had dreadlocked hair, so why should it ONLY be acceptable for them to wear it? Everyone I've known to dread their hair has had their own individual reason for doing so. You're just another fool bringing stereotypes and hate.

As a guy who's had long hair for the past 13 years, I'd say all ya'll with shit to say about a person's hair reflecting their ambition and their drive to succeed are the real losers. Why don't we all just clone you guys and live the same boring ass lives as each other.

OP: Fuck the real wannabes, dude. Grow ya damn hair.

14. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

I've never seen the appeal behind them, and quite frankly don't understand even with the etomology why having them. I mean, don't those dreads get to be too unkempt and unclean if you don't take care of them?

And to the point of white people mimicing the style, I don't see how they look good. I mean, didn't the Counting Crows frontman wear some sort of dreads in his heyday?

15. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    Long time reader, first time posting?

Personally, I agree that there are a slim minority of people who can make dreads look classy. Most guys end up looking too thuggish or derelict.

Unfortunately, most black hair trends fail to translate to other ethnicities with the same sort of penache (case and point)but I'm sure there are some non-black people who can carry out dreads without looking like an extra from a Wayans brother's movie.

16. Chocolatestix

Chocolatestix Member

Albums:
    Njqt466, I couldn't resist responding to you. I can totally understand where you are coming from because my mother and Grandmother had the same issue when I decided to grow dreads. I'm about to be a college Graduate from Georgetown University, a pretty much white school. At least for me I think my dreads make a statement that I'm not trying to conform, that even if you can get past me looking black and think I "fit in" you would see my dreads and that will remind you that I'm not trying to fit in. Most people would see me and think that I go to Howard University instead of Georgetown, and I'm fine with that. If people can only accept me for who they think I am and not for who I am then I don't think I should be bother with those type of people in the first place. People are different, and me having dreads doesn't say anything more about my intelligence or background anymore than how a poor person looks on the street.

Njqt466, I'm not attacking you in anyway rather just providing a personal rational for why I have my dreads. With that said, I do think if you take care of them and keep them looking nice that can be hot (both my grandmother and mother now agree that I look good in them) and it is a great feeling to get your hair pulled too sometimes, something you miss out on having a low cut or being balled.

17. Capitolhillguy

Capitolhillguy Active Member

Albums:
    I think they can make some white guys look nasty hot. Especially on lighter hair. A dark blonde, pierced tongued bi boy bike courier here had dreds and I wanted his milk shake in the worst way possible!

18. Luvalarge-n-thick1

Albums:
    It has taken me a while but I have posted a few pics of my dreads Ill get the some more later.
    I had them longer about a few years ago they were past my shoulder blade

Attached Files:

19. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I personally don't think they look good, on anyone. No matter how "clean" they are, I think it's a sign of being lazy. You don't want to brush your hair, you get dreds.

20. earllogjam

Gold Member

I've always wondered if you aren't black how do you grow dread locks? I've always wanted to have some.

I've seen other white guys with dreads like the Counting Crows guy but don't know how they actually get them started.

Draft saved Draft deleted