Gym, Help...

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by cockshower_3, Jan 18, 2010.

1. cockshower_3

cockshower_3 Member

I want to start going to the gym to build my body. I have a medium-sized belly, How long do you think it will take in order to have a six pack? also, what do you think of power plate?

2. BS1984

BS1984 New Member

It's more about diet. You can workout as hard as you want to but, if your diet is crap you will not obtain the results that you desire. Mix cardio with weight/core training and watch your diet (cut out the booze) and you will get there.

3. nikebasketball18

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You're going to have to watch your diet VERY closely. Eat about 1800 calories, replace most of your favorite snacks with fruit, yogurt, etc. It's a difficult transition, but after one month, it's pretty much second nature.

As you're closely recording your daily weight and calorie consumption, run and sprint. Cardio will help you lift and melt away a majority of your "medium-sized" belly.

Once you've made progress there, I'll bring you up to speed on core workouts. :p

Good luck!

4. bippy

bippy Member

Diet never worked for me. Excercise is helping somewhat, but requires lots of self-discipline, especially at the start.

5. D_Ernest Porknine

D_Ernest Porknine New Member

Your diet will be responsible for up to 75% of your success for losing bodyfat or gaining muscle. If it was easy everyone would be walking around buff.

6. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

75% is way high. you aren't gping to build muscle on diet. your muscles grow when the fibers are torn they patch themselves with added fibers. you need protien to build muscle but you have to do the the work first. the more muscle mass you build the more calories you burn even at rest.

7. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^----- what Big_E said.... :yup:

8. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Yep. Most of the actual muscle growth takes place out of the gym. In fact, most is when you are sleeping: the muscle building that Big_E mentioned (catabolism) is triggered by HGH. 90% of the HGH that your body releases is during sleep.

Your body has no way of storing protein, so it just stays in your blood until it's needed. The problem is, it doesn't stay there for long. Eat regular meal and eat all of the essential amino acids for them to be utilized, otherwise they will be used as calories. When in doubt, drink a protein shake. Legumes and whole wheat (ie. peanut butter on whole grain bread) also has all essential aminos, as does milk and milk products. Your body can only assimilate 20 grams of protein at a time, so the "more protein, more muscle" approach is flawed and will actually just make you fatter.

As for your belly, there are recent studies that very sugary foods, like pop, increase belly fat. You can't spot reduce (ie. ab twists won't make your ab fat disappear), but you can easily go on a proper diet that has a variety of healthy foods. Variety is the key.

Cardio is definitely the way to go when losing weight. Diets generally don't work, especially calorie-restricted diets; They only work if you are over-eating. Find a sport that you like, like swimming or jogging. Do it 3 or 4 times a week and keep the intensity at 80% of your maximum heart rate. As a general guide, this is usually the rate at which you can barely hold a conversation.

On top of your regular cardio workout, do something else that is fun. I love pickup hockey or ulty, but I'll do almost anything. I've even been known to walk other people's dogs or mow their grass (for free).

OTC diet pills do not work, although some people swear by hoodia. In order for a diet pill to work, it must be a metabolic stimulant, not a cardiovascular stimulant--which all of the OTC pills are.

Anyway, assuming your doctor says it's alright, I'd recommend what Big_E wrote and that you try at least one thing that I wrote.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

9. closetfreak

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Always remember that your body is a biological machine. It needs fuel, maintenance, and respect same as any other machine in order to run properly and efficiently

10. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

The combination of Big_E and Rex's advice is sound. You need a combination of weights, cardio and proper nutrition to see the changes you desire.

The good news: It can be done.

The bad news: it's fucking HARD work.

11. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I don't take my own advice. I haven't been to the gym in months and I just ate some rich agnello fritto. I'm shrinking by the minute.

~thinner~

12. austin_kid_85

austin_kid_85 New Member

Proper nutrition plays a large part. Exercise helps a lot, but nutrition is huge.

Draft saved Draft deleted