Gym Membership Rates

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
After working out tonight and playing racquetball tonight at my health club I found out it is closing at the end of the month and now I have to find a new gym.
A new one just opened up and it is amazing. Its like a super gym - HUGE.
The cardio deck has at least a hundred machines. There are four basketball courts, the weight machines and free weight areas are excellent, four racquetball courts, five indoor tennis courts, a lap pool for swimming, a spinning arena, an outdoor pool, putting greens, driving range, sand volley ball courts, a super healthy deli, a phenomenol child care area replete with Wii and computers for the kids (not that I have any).
The licker room was beautiful, just like the country club with wood lockers, private showers, well stocked towel rack, fully stocked shaving bar, etc.
The thing that I didn't like was that the jacuzzi and sauna are public and co-ed. I am not one for co-ed saunas in swimsuits. But whatever.
So two hundred bucks fee to join and then like $75-$80 a month.
So you think this is reasonable? What do you pay for your gym and would you pay almost $900 a year for a gym membership? Thanks.

jkm65

Just Browsing
Media
I think its a bit steep.. but it seems worth it...
all i could say is try to negotiate because i know that the employees that set people up can lower some charges...
but it sounds like a nice gym..haha

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks guys. I had no idea you could negociate rates with a corporate chain. So exwhysee - does your gym have all the stuff you want and are you happy paying that?
I would use the pool for swimming laps, the indoor tennis courts, racquetball courts, the volleyball courts, putting greens and driving range, and of course the weights and machines for working out so there is a lot that I would use and no other gyms or clubs have nearly as much in my area. So I supose it would be worth it and it is only a month to month contract, not a full year paid in full contract, so that is good also.

mickstl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm a member of 2, in 2 different cities -- one is $55 and one is $140.

The $140 club is a palatial big city club...the $55 one is kind of a small town version. (The nicest one where I live anyway.)

Couldn't get past the public/swimsuit sauna, etc. though, in where you're describing. That is odd, usually the nice locker rooms like you describe have their own sauna/steam/whirlpool.

Oh, and I took a double take, then laughed, then got kind of turned on when you said the gym had a "licker" room :) in your OP.

Mick

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks guys. I had no idea you could negociate rates with a corporate chain. So exwhysee - does your gym have all the stuff you want and are you happy paying that?
I would use the pool for swimming laps, the indoor tennis courts, racquetball courts, the volleyball courts, putting greens and driving range, and of course the weights and machines for working out so there is a lot that I would use and no other gyms or clubs have nearly as much in my area. So I supose it would be worth it and it is only a month to month contract, not a full year paid in full contract, so that is good also.

I can't afford any gym memberships right now but I'm hoping to join one when I can get my act together job-wise. I'm hoping to find a month to month contract too, that I can leave at any time. Jobs aren't secure, so why should I lock myself in to a long term contract? I hate signing leases for the same reason. I'd rather pay month to month, if it wasn't so expensive, and if they couldn't rent the place out from underneath you.

I've only looked into two gyms so far. Gold's Gym has a year contract, so I didn't like that. The other one is a women-only gym and is month to month but is really small and doesn't have a lot of the stuff I'd like. (plus I like co-ed gyms better anyway...)

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My current gym i paid 144.00 dollars to join, 48.00 the first year, 12.00 dollars now but theres no pool, jacuzzi but hey, i dont need all that

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh geez. Sorry about the "licker" room typo. Can we edit our posts in such circumstances? lol. Sorry, but happy you had a hearty chuckle and got a little bit turned on. Wow. $140 a month huh? I guess this gym I checked out is a bargain then.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What do you all think? While as monster says the pool, whirlpool/jacuzzi isn't something that is necessary, isn't it nice and indulgent after working your ass off to collapse in a steam or sauna or whirlpool? I have become accustomed to this indulgence and enjoy it.

hotpony501

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Over the past 10 years, I've paid more than $200/month at some of the gyms and racquet clubs in Houston. Yeah, as I work out at least 2 hrs daily, you could call me a gym rat! About a year ago, got a special deal at 24 Hr Fitness and am paying less than $60/month for access to several (which is a waste) as the one use daily is less than a mile from my house complete with it's own pool and spa.

D

deleted3782

So exwhysee - does your gym have all the stuff you want and are you happy paying that?

Its a nice place, but not great...but its less than a mile from home, so its worth it for now. I should probably move over to the YMCA across from where I work, but I havent.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
exwhysee - less than a mile from home? That is excellent! I am jealous.
Hotpony - $60 a month is not bad with access to multiple locations. But you did pay $200 a month? that should have been a kick ass place.