Gym Uniform/Jock sorting by size only?

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When my brother was in hs, he said they collected there shirts, shorts, jocks everyday and washed them, and they didn't even allow them to write their names in them, they were just all sorted out by size, which was ironed onto the front like where a pocket would go on the shirt and then on the shorts leg, and also was ironed onto the waistband of their 3inch jocks, so it was easy for everyone to get the size they needed and for the teacher/coach to know what size they were wearing.

Each day before class they would just go over to the bins and get clean uniforms there was a basket for shirt, jock, shorts, in XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL. Granted for XS, S, XL and XXL, there weren't nearly as many as for M and L.

Also there were multiple gym classes so it was the same collection of uniforms for the entire school not just each class, so you had no way of knowing who all had worn your uniform including jock. My brothers super straight, so not sure what he tought about having his tackle where another guys tackle was the day before.

and he also said the same system was used for swimming, just for that the baskets were by number size, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, and 40, though he said there was only like 2 suits for sizes 26 and 40.

He said this rule also helped to ensure that everyone showered since the way the locker room was set up you picked up your swimwear/uniform and dropped them off on the gym/pool side of the shower, and then showerd and picked up your towel on the other side. and to ensure that everyone wore the jocks that were required they made all the guys strip and put there clothes in lockers on the once side of the shower and put nothing but there shoes and socks on and then walk thru the showers to pick up a uniform/jock right before going thru the door out to the gym/pool.

Did anyone else's school do this?

Do you think its ok to Sort uniforms/jocks by size only?

What would you feel about having your tackle where another guys tackle was the day before?

Would you like being able to have a clean uniform everyday?

Not have to deal with taking wet swimtrunks home or having them get all moldy in a locker?

Does anyone know about any sports teams doing this?

RICKY_27

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey Matt,

Last year I was in NYC and played racketball at a private club which furnished the entire uniform (inluding STRAPS) for both members and guests. It was HOOOOT seein all the dudes in the LR wearin the same gear.

RICKY_27

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In my high school, guys were assigned unis in the beginning of the season & had to turn them back in at the end...if anything was missing, you had to pay for it...jocks & cups were also the kid's responsibility...

art

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
College gym uniforms were like this. When you were done sweating, you stripped naked, dropped the uniform parts off in their bins to be washed on the way to shower, and picked up new uniform parts on the way back to your locker. I thought it was kind of hot that all the kids were wearing the same uniform.

In high school, we paid for our own gym clothes, and took them home every Friday to be washed.

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
College gym uniforms were like this. When you were done sweating, you stripped naked, dropped the uniform parts off in their bins to be washed on the way to shower, and picked up new uniform parts on the way back to your locker. I thought it was kind of hot that all the kids were wearing the same uniform.

In high school, we paid for our own gym clothes, and took them home every Friday to be washed.

In college did the uniform consist of shorts, shirt, and a JOCK?

What about hs, were Jocks required?

Also I forgot to mention earlier, that the school would also launder students socks and also provided shoes, due to the way the locker room was set up and the extremely stringint showering policy whre students where to walk nude thru the showers on the way to pick up their uniforms, he said sometimes the teachers would even turn on a special showerhead above the hallway that passed thru the showers to ensure everyone was totally nude since if they went thru with clothes on there clothes would be wet when they came out to the gym, and this ensured everyone got rinsed alittle before pool swimming.

JohnDoeXXXm

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
in junior high we had to wear color-coded speedos that were a solid color that showed your waist size to everyone else. Most of the guys wore either a solid orange suit (like me) or a solid red suit (one size larger), and they were laundered for us every week. I had to go to the coach and ask for an orange suit each day

LIWATCHER

Just Browsing
Media
Remeber is HS PE swim - you were issued a school bathing suit -- same type still sold by some suppliers today - they were washed after each period of gym class ...suits for both guys and girls .....

Also remember guy who worked at local State PArk by the ocean - he took care of the
locker renatl and bathing suit rental....

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Remeber is HS PE swim - you were issued a school bathing suit -- same type still sold by some suppliers today - they were washed after each period of gym class ...suits for both guys and girls .....

Also remember guy who worked at local State PArk by the ocean - he took care of the
locker renatl and bathing suit rental....

Anyone know who any of these supplier are?
Were the hs suits trunks or speedos?

I've been curious about bathing suit rental, so I just created a new thread for everyone to post information regarding this, would be great to hear more about your knowledge of this.

http://www.lpsg.org/105369-anyone-ever-rent-swimwear-workout.html

in junior high we had to wear color-coded speedos that were a solid color that showed your waist size to everyone else. Most of the guys wore either a solid orange suit (like me) or a solid red suit (one size larger), and they were laundered for us every week. I had to go to the coach and ask for an orange suit each day

I just asked my brother how they had the swimwear sorted, and he said instead of having different colors for the different sizes they put a number
on the front Left hip and on the rear right hip, so the teacher could tell from both the front and back, what size a student was wearing. Though I would think the color idea would make sorting alot easier since you could tell by looking in the baskets if they were sorted correctly.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
why would a coach care what size swimsuit you wore. my HS coaches were too busy to stand around and make sure we got wet or were wearing a properly fitting speedo. but then that was back in the dark ages when guys normally changed into gym clothes, took showers, and didn't smell for the rest of the day. anybody remember those days?

my school didn't provide PE clothes, but I do know jocks were made with different color stripes embedded in the waistband to show size.

One manufacturer of "institutional" speedos was Russell Southern and another was Kiefer. I recall seeing some which were rather heavy 100% nylon tricot, had metal grommets in the front for the drawstring to pass through, and almost wire-like drawstrings. they lasted forever...

so, there ya go, Matt.

art

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
In college did the uniform consist of shorts, shirt, and a JOCK?

Shorts, shirt, jock, and socks. You had to provide your own shoes!

What about hs, were Jocks required?

Jocks were required, 7th through 12th grades, though coaches never made a big deal about checking for them. There were a few kids who'd try to wear underwear under their shorts (kids wore briefs then), but the coach would find 'em out, tell them that was gross, and send them back tot he locker room with a 0 for the day. You pretty much had to (1) show up and (2) make an effort, and you'd pass PE.

squadleader

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
my school didn't provide PE clothes, but I do know jocks were made with different color stripes embedded in the waistband to show size

In junior high we had to buy a regulation gym uniform. It included jockstraps starting in 7th grade and some gym teachers required cups in 9th. Gym clothes were provided for us during both HS and college PE.

I can tell you about the stripes in the jockstraps because I worked after school in the high school laundry. I think I made 90 cents an hour! We threw the PE clothes and towels in this huge washing machine that I think was called an extractor. It could probably handle 200 gym uniforms and towels at one time. We then had to seperate the washed jockstraps from the rest, and they went into a big commercial dryer that was set at a lower temperature so that it didn't ruin the rubber or elastic in the jocks. Everything else went into a hotter and faster close dryer.

We had to fold the dry towels and the gym suits. The gym shirts and shorts had the school name and letters S, M, L to note their size. They were then sorted by size and placed in bins to be used in the next gym class.

Socks were also washed and thrown in a bin.

As I remember, the small jockstraps had one stripe in the waistband, medium 2 stripes, and large 3. They were also sorted by size and thrown into bins.

High School PE classes didn't get cup supporters. They were reserved for the guys playing sports. When the PE coach told the class to wear cups, we put on two jockstraps and placed the cup between them. The laundry crew was responsible for stacking them on the counter shelves. Cups were never washed and got pretty ratty and smelly toward the end of the year.

PE was required freshmen and sophmore years of college. We supplied only gym shoes which back then were Keds, Converse or Flyers. We picked up what was called a towel roll when we left the shower that included a towel to dry off with, and socks, shorts, shirt and a jock to use in our next class. I think the university had a commerical laundry service wash and assemble the towel rolls overnight

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In junior high we had to buy a regulation gym uniform. It included jockstraps starting in 7th grade and some gym teachers required cups in 9th. Gym clothes were provided for us during both HS and college PE.

Cups? Did any other of you guys classes require cups?

My brother said they only required cups for athletics, and then sometimes for class depending on what they were going to be playing that day.

As I remember, the small jockstraps had one stripe in the waistband, medium 2 stripes, and large 3. They were also sorted by size and thrown into bins.

Thanks for this explanation, as someone else had mentioned a meaning to the stripes on jocks.

High School PE classes didn't get cup supporters. They were reserved for the guys playing sports. When the PE coach told the class to wear cups, we put on two jockstraps and placed the cup between them.

So the athletes got cup supporters, but the gym classes just had to wear two supporters?

I would think that that would be really uncomfortable and that would be tight around the waist to have two 3inch waistbands, I was so glad when I found good fitting cup supporter from underarmor, that allowed enough fabric in the pouch to fully utillize the limited amount of space inside of a cup.

Cups were never washed and got pretty ratty and smelly toward the end of the year.

My school, had a dishwasher, that they would use to wash the cups. I would think it would be totally unsanitary to never wash the cups.

Does anyone know if for school athletics if guys are given the choice of different size cups? As I know that many manufactures now make multiple sizes that are color coded. XO makes a yellow peewee cup, a red child cup, a blue teen cup, and a gray adult cup. Though if they do offer a choice of sizes I bet everyone would all take the adult size since no one is going to admit there smaller, unless Jr. High sports would use the teen cup and then Hs just using the adult cup.

We picked up what was called a towel roll when we left the shower that included a towel to dry off with, and socks, shorts, shirt and a jock to use in our next class.

Doesn't giving out uniforms a day ahead require the school to have twice as many uniforms? so there is always a clean set and a set the students are wearing? Also wouldn't the school be afraid that uniforms would disappear this way, that was sited as the reason for my schools strict distribution and collection policy right by the gym door between the showers and gym so they never made it to near the lockers so there was never a chance of someone slipping a uniform into their bag.

squadleader

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Matt, I think that mandatory cups in PE were being phased out when I was in HS in the late 50's. My older brother told me that he had to wear them thruout HS, but we had to wear them probably less than half of the time.

My school, had a dishwasher, that they would use to wash the cups. I would think it would be totally unsanitary to never wash the cups.

Can't imagine putting them in dishwashers. Many were still metal, and every day the PE classes or sports teams wore them one of the tasks of the laundry crew was to use rubber cement to replace cushions on the ones that came lose. If the cups went into the dishwasher we probably would have had to work all night

Does anyone know if for school athletics if guys are given the choice of different size cups? As I know that many manufactures now make multiple sizes that are color coded. XO makes a yellow peewee cup, a red child cup, a blue teen cup, and a gray adult cup. Though if they do offer a choice of sizes I bet everyone would all take the adult size since no one is going to admit there smaller, unless Jr. High sports would use the teen cup and then Hs just using the adult cup.

From what I recall, everyone started wearing adult cups when they were first required in 9th grade. They were the old triangle shaped flat cups and by high school I found it tough to pack all of my junk into the things. Had one PE teacher who made us wear cups during track since everyone had to do hurdles and he didn't want us getting racked, but by the end of class the cups would really rub your thighs raw.

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Matt, I think that mandatory cups in PE were being phased out when I was in HS in the late 50's. My older brother told me that he had to wear them thruout HS, but we had to wear them probably less than half of the time.

Yea I've never figured out why they are no longer required, as I found out from one of my friends recently, think they phased them out like the year after I graduated, the same year that speedos went by the way side to make way for jammers. Are guys genitals no longer important to protect?

Can't imagine putting them in dishwashers. Many were still metal, and every day the PE classes or sports teams wore them one of the tasks of the laundry crew was to use rubber cement to replace cushions on the ones that came lose. If the cups went into the dishwasher we probably would have had to work all night

They had a huge industrial dishwasher so they could put like 3 or 4 classes worth of cups in at the same time. Our cups were like the gray standard bike ones, so they were made of plastic with the rubber on them.

Rubber Cement? that seems weird couldn't they just get replacement cusions?

From what I recall, everyone started wearing adult cups when they were first required in 9th grade. They were the old triangle shaped flat cups and by high school I found it tough to pack all of my junk into the things. Had one PE teacher who made us wear cups during track since everyone had to do hurdles and he didn't want us getting racked, but by the end of class the cups would really rub your thighs raw.

yea by my junior/senior year i found it difficult to fit into a cup too, unless I was absolutly totally soft when trying to put it on. I can't imagine how guys bigger than me fit into cups, since brands like xo don't have an extra large model.

Yea I agree it is definatly not the most comfortable to wear cups for running sports like track, soccer, etc. and that the reason its now sighted that guys don't wear them for football, but I definatly wouldn't want to get tackled without protection down there, and I know I could always play harder knowing that i was protected.

The most difficult sport I thought for wearing cups was water polo. Though we didn't have to worry about having a different sized bulge that way when we all were wearing cups, though it sure is hard to tread water in a cup.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
It's not totally bad to do that I think. When I had gym in my school there were guys who never washed their clothes so you could see huge yellow spots on the t-shirts where the armpits of theme were. Disgusting, because they smelled also. I got my gymclothes washed every week, but i wouldn't mind if the school did that. And it is also a good thing, because you don't have to bring clothes with you and you had no reason to skip PE because there are always clothes.

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's not totally bad to do that I think. When I had gym in my school there were guys who never washed their clothes so you could see huge yellow spots on the t-shirts where the armpits of theme were. Disgusting, because they smelled also. I got my gymclothes washed every week, but i wouldn't mind if the school did that. And it is also a good thing, because you don't have to bring clothes with you and you had no reason to skip PE because there are always clothes.

Yea I just heard from a friend recently that now schools don't have anything to do with uniforms, and the students are suppose to be responsible to take their own uniforms home and wash them at least once a week...

Which to me doesn't sound like often enough, I know that my clothes are so nasty after a hard workout I can't imagine putting them on again without washing them first..

He said some students didn't take them home ALL SEMESTER!!, EWW!!... now thats just asking for a MRSA infection, and to add not showering on top of that, what has the world come to.. NASTY..

Yea the school washing the uniforms definitely prevents guys from leaving them at home... and its not like its that much extra expense, you just have students who are in trouble do the laundry during detention... and the students are already charged for uniforms anyways as part of books, though the uniforms now seem to just be shirts and shorts, no jocks, or cups or anything, and most guys either wear their boxers or whatever underwear their wearing all day for gym class, so even if they do shower they still have sweaty gross undies on... makes no sense to me...

gnip

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
My wife graduated HS 17 years ago. School issued suits for girls and speedo for boys. Washed nightly. She also used school issued bras and compression panties for softball which were thrown into a bin after practice or game.