Gym

tomthelad91

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hey,

Right so I'm 18, I would say I'm sorta 'Scrawny', I eat plenty of healthy food, I walk a few miles each day, my BMI is 19, so I'm not looking to loose weight. I'm just looking to bulk up a little, not loads. Mostly Arms and Chest, im not really bothered about Abs or having no body fat.

I'm joining a Gym in a few weeks, And I need help.

If someone who was in my position not too long ago can give me some tips, that'd be great.
I'm looking at going for maybe two, 2 hour sessions a week, nothing too intense. I need some ideas as to simple, not too hard starting routines to get the ball rolling, also, Imma need some safe, tried and tested Protein shake names & brands for beginners. (Preferably ones available on the UK High St)

Come on guys, there must be loads of you who were scrawny and had no hope in your teens, I need some advice plans and experiences.
A Mentor would be great too :D

Don't let me down guys, I'm counting on you.

bendigoboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Doesn't your gym provide this as basic service?

They are the professionals and know exactly what equipment is available for you to use.

Most I have been involved with have designed an initial program to meet fitness goals as part of the joining process.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Two two-hour sessions per week? I think you would do better with four one-hour sessions or three sessions of an hour and 20 minutes. It seems to me that two sessions per week would leave you with more recovery time than you need, and a beginner who worked out for two hours at a time would be either using his time very inefficiently or overworking himself.

travisblue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Definitely agree with Cal
+1
2 hours is a lot. some really big dudes (bodybuilder types) might do that, but I think most guys including the ripped ones do about 45 min to 1.5 hr. workouts 4-6 days a week, working different muscle groups on different days and then giving those groups 'rest' days. Lifting weights actually makes microscopic tears in the muscles and those 'off' days is when the muscles heal and get bigger. Didn't your membership come with some free personal trainer sessions? Most do so they can get you hooked and paying for the service. Also get a workout buddy, this is a huge deal because on days one of you doesn't feel like going the other one is pulling you out of the house and guilting you, also there's this mental thing that happens where you don't want to be a shit that lets the other guy down, also you can spot each other doing bench or dumbell flys and encourage one another to push out a couple more reps each time.

Also beware of DOMS. (delayed onset muscle soreness). The first week of working out SUCKS big time because your body isn't used to it and your REALLY sore for 3-4 days after the 1st time working a muscle group. The 2nd week is way easier. Usually your MORE sore the 2nd day after your first workout than you were on the next (1st) day after. Thats DOMS. Its a bitch.

Last edited:
Media
Do you want muscles that "show" or muscles that "go"?

If you want real strength that is practical (the go kind) you need to do military style workouts. Trust me, I know, I was very fit and athletic and toned but the USMC thought I was scrawny. They fed me and fed me and fed me some more. They also introduced me to kettle bells but those nice things with handles are for the civilian pieces of shit (as my DI put it) Marines use sandbags which if nothing else make your grip stronger which helps you choke out some Hodgie all the faster. Anyway there are four basic areas that you need to work, chest excersises (bench if your pussy) squats, shoulders and dead lifts. do variations of those four generalized workouts and you will have real strength and you don't need a gym. Don't forget the cardio, if you go to the gym run there, lift and run home!

Last edited:

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Eat. Eat. Then eat some more. Lift heavy things and eat. That's the only way to get big.
Buy "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.