Haggard : I am "completely heterosexual"

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I'm more than a little disappointed that the national association of which I'm a member, the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, has yet to take a stand on the issue of ex-gays and reparative therapy.

I just typed in the words "reparative therapy" to that online site [http://www.aamft.org] and retrieved an article about ethical behavior in the referral process. Basically, one subprinciple in the Code of Ethics allows assistance in "obtaining other therapeutic services if the therapist is unable or unwilling, for appropriate reasons, to provide professional help." The article concludes with the importance of recognizing personal bias, as it pertains toward ethical practice. A few examples cite one hypothetical client's disclosure of homosexual orientation.

For a therapist who believes homosexuality is wrong, it would be wrong to practice reparative treatment as it would indicate an inability for proper diagnosis and treatment outside of one's competencies. For the therapist who believes reparative treatment is ineffective or harmful, the same reason would apply -- you couldn't do it anyway. Either way, I think it's bogus because it dismisses the whole issue of reparative therapy being sound science, effective over a duration of time, or a successful course in withstanding methodical rigor.