Hair extensions!!!

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Not_Punny, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    When I first joined LPSG, my hair was down the middle of my back (past my bra strap).

Then I cut it a few times.... :eek:

I'm now growing my hair out, and it's down to my shoulders, but I'm impatient! I want it long again!

Anyone have experience with hair extensions? Are they gross...?

2. B_JasonDawgxxx

B_JasonDawgxxx New Member

Dont do tracks. Get them bonded in. Much better and lasts longer. I have girl friends that have weaves etc.

3. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks, Jas. I didn't even know bonding existed! I'm gonna investigate this!

4. melis

melis New Member

I did hair extensions a couple of years back. Had a love-hate relationship with them. 24 inches, down to my hips. They took strands of my hair, wrapped the extensions around and used some sort of heating device to make the keratin soft and stick to my own hair. Like these:
    https://www.buyhair.co.uk/100-human-pre-bonded-nail-tip-hair-6-medium-brown-p-2630.html

Pros:
    - I liked the look - my own hair is fine and sleek - suddenly I had hair.
    - Long hair!
    - Quality hair, even with 24 inches

Cons:
    - Expensive
    - I could feel the hardness of the keratin fusions when I would lie down
    - It doesn't feel very nice to run your fingers through your hair - due to the keratin fusions.
    - After a while - no more than a few weeks - some of the strands would slide off, with some of my own hair still attached (granted, I have this very sleek hair, but still...!)
    - You need to use specific shampoos and conditioners, which are on the expensive side
    - After 3-4 months of wear the strands started to tangle up, and I had to remove them... this hurt my own hair! And yes, I used the brushes they recommended.
    - I immediately put in new extensions, had them for five months. When I had them removed, I had to cut my hair (so if you're trying to grow your hair long, I wouldn't risk it)
    - Even though they say that you can remove the extensions without hurting the hair, IT ISN'T TRUE - it wasn't for me, nor for a couple of friends that had them done (different hair stylists).
    - I found it difficult to style sometimes, because I was afraid to tangle up the strands...

I guess you see where I'm going... I think you should look into other types of extensions, maybe the kinds that you can remove yourself. I've seen them in good quality hair as well. If you're still doing the kind I did, my advice is not choose the really long ones - I think they put the most strain on your hair as they will weigh more and thus pull more on the fusions. (Hope my English made sense...)

5. yesitsbig

yesitsbig New Member

Don't do it! You look sexy the way you are. :mad:

6. Runco

Runco New Member

Buy yourself a decent wig or two! That way you can go long, short, red, blond - even afro if you wish! A wig will not damage your hair and so long as you are not trying to pass it off as your own, most men will dig it.

Think about it.

7. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well goodness sakes!! THanks Melis and Runco. (ANd thansk for the compliment, YesitsBig)

I would probably have gone nuts with bonded, glued or keratin extensions -- and because I am trying to grow my own hair out, I gather it's self-defeating to put stuff in your hair that causes damage.

I would NEVER have thought about wigs or "falsies" for my hair... but now that y'all mention it... WHY NOT?!!!

There's a wig shop down the street from me, and I think I'll mosey in and pay them a visit.

Fun, fun, fun!!

(We change our clothes... why not our hair?!)

8. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mine just grew down to the middle of my back some years ago and got it cut. I'm growing it again. It's coming out silver and blonde and brown...

9. Runco

Runco New Member

Good for you! And remember - you can always get your favorite stylist to cut and style your wig so that it's PERFECT for you!

Draft saved Draft deleted