Haiti Relief

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pepsi15, Jan 17, 2010.

1. pepsi15

pepsi15 New Member

Canada, The United States, and China are all helping with the Haiti Relief but so far we seem to be missing help from our Arab oil-rich nations. Could it be that they are to committed to suppressing their own citizens and funding their terrorist activities? I suspect this is the case.

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Back out to the hall, first door down - that's the politics forum, bud.

EDIT: There - that was easy.

#2 ManlyBanisters, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. ConstantComment

ConstantComment New Member

It could also be that Haiti is a black nation. I understand that Arabs see blacks as the lowest of the low. Admittedly, I don't have first hand experience.

4. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Don't forget HUGO CHAVEZ... whom the liberal champion Sean Penn and his sidekick MSNBC love to tout.... lambasted President Obama for helping... blah blah blah occupation of Haiti... blah blah blah... American military (the one that midlifebozo hates so much) ...meanwhile that jackass sent one ship and the Obama/US committed to a hundo plus during tough times, and tons of personnel. Even though we know it goes to much waste, but will help out tremendously.

Yeah... Haiti... US imperialism in it's finest hour. I hope Obama blows off that jackass, given the comments. I think we're going to dig the more centrist Obama... step three in his 12 step program will be the bitch slapping of Chavez.

5. D_Tully Tunnelrat

D_Tully Tunnelrat New Member

6. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

I see that a certain faction of political persuasion is screaming bloody murder that the cruise ships are still stopping at Haiti's ports.

Um, excuse me but that region needs economic activity more than anything in the world right now. They are wiped out.

If the cruiselines started bypassing the island, the same group would be calling them racists.

7. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

There was a story on MSNBC last week about a Royal Caribbean cruise ship that was already on its way to Haiti after the quake hit. They ported 60 miles away from the devastation, and many people stayed on the ship because they felt uncomfortable going out there and enjoying themselves while there was such a tragedy going on nearby. To be honest, I'd be a little freaked out about that too. Still, the staff on that particular cruise made a contribution to the efforts and even donated a lot of food. That should be commended.

Come on, star... you can do better than this. :rolleyes:

8. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    HEY! You can never have too much sugarcane! :biggrin1:

9. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    "The more centrist Obama"? Good lord I hope not, he hasnt been anywhere near liberal!

10. mattflanders

mattflanders Member

Albums:
    To get back on topic: for instance: non-profit organizations in the UAE have set up drop off points for cash, food and clothes.
    It's not because you don't hear about it, that it's not there. The OP didn't mention the European Union either and we're setting aside €400 million for Haiti.

If you want news from a Middle Eastern perspective: http://english.aljazeera.net/

#10 mattflanders, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  11. B_Enough_for_Me

B_Enough_for_Me New Member

Did you ever watch Devil Came On Horseback? For me, one of the most moving parts of the documentary was the Sudanese man saying that the Muslim countries are not helping out in Darfur, but the US is. It is obvious that he is embarrassed by this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5saGt069Km0

Interviewee:

"I want to send my warm and very great thanks to the government of the Americans. Because we recieve many things from America, even the sacks, the food, the oil, the medicine. Many supports we got from the American people."

"We pray for the American people. Thank you. [Crying] Thank you. We recieve nothing from the Arab world. We recieve nothing from Islamic countries. You see, our people are dependent on America, and on the free world that you see. Everywhere we go we recieve nothing from Islamic, we are Muslim you know? Where are Arab people here? We never see Arabs wandering around here to ask 'what you need?' and 'how will you live here?'. They hated us. They wanted us to hate others. This is out problem."

An extemely emotionally charged documentary. It fundamentally changed how I see some things.

BTW, this was son-of-a-bitch George Bush's foreign aid.

12. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

£9 trillion spent on bailing the banks out worldwide
    £97 billion spent on thw UK's new trident missile system
    £2.5 billion US aid to Israel each year
    £400 million US aid to Colombia
    £88 million US and UK aid pledged to Haiti

Theres the issue people. The world Governments need to sort out their priorities.

US troops in Haiti? Oh that will help. That is what the Haitians need. Bullets.

13. Xochil~

Xochil~ New Member

Albums:
    Well I like FACTS and that makes more sense..Thanks Lemon! Impressive! I like that you have thoughts / ideas about revolution and that U think! And that ur young makes it more Amazing.. Thanks Bro..

14. Drifterwood

Gold Member

If you were a relif worker, Mel :smile:, would you go and work there at the moment without the sort of military presence that the US and UN are providing?

I wouldn't. I am allergic to machetes wielded by desperate people.

15. D_Andreas Sukov

mel?
    They are desperate yes, but more could be done to make it less dangerous. I see you point drift, but It appears the US thought, Send troops then aid. Noth the other way around. And the UN have been in there for years, and are still there, Why did they need topping up?

All i hope that comes out of this is a cancellation of Haiti's Debt. Really, what is £546 to the IMF and the US? It wont happen, and i realise i am naive, but i hope this highlights the poverty these people have been kept under.

16. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    The troops ARE aid..........who do you think is passing out most of the water and meals?????The troops are treating the injured as much as their resources will allow. The troops are there on a HUMANITARIAN mission, not a combat one. And yes the UN needs help due to the Size of this catastrophe.

17. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Good point, IS. Moreover, if the troops aren't there - food/supplies are just stolen and forcibly taken from those in need; it is imperative that a military presence is secured in order to ensure the distribution of aid.

18. D_Andreas Sukov

Either way, it will be interesting to see how long your boys stay there....

What i meant by UN troops, is that, If they are already there, Why do they need anymore?

#18 D_Andreas Sukov, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  19. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Because there aren't enough of them........150,000 dead and rising.......countless injured.

20. D_Andreas Sukov

I know, Your missing my point. What aid do troops bring when there isnt a coherent plan in place?

Yes troops are needed, they may be doing the medical work, whatever, it just seems typical to send troops to stop looters, which could easily be stopped by providing more than enough aid, with fewer soldiers.

Give Obama some credit. He did act quicker then Bush did when a tradegy occured in his own Nation.

Draft saved Draft deleted