Haiti Relief

D_Cavernus Manhole

Just Browsing
Media
Tired of my tax dollars going to #@#$ countries outside the US that can't seem to get their @%# together. We got enough people in the U.S. standing around with their hand out waiting for there check. Maybe we should let the situation piss off the people enough down there that they revolt and take out the corrupt government and then we talk to them about helping them out. We should quit wiping everyone's asses when they crap in their pants. I'm sure this will piss someone off....good.

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Unbelievable you dare to say this. By saying such stuff you are saying that the people who have the Down syndrome are in fault for having it. How narrow minded can you be, and even have the guts to say this.

I don't care about your discussion, but you crossed the line with saying this.

I sincerely don't care.

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ok that highlighted comment was very distasteful. we will leave it at that.
But true.

How can cancel them all not be an answer?
Because it is the foundation of civilized society. You are responsible for your debts; period. You can't just arbitrarily decide what is and isn't fair because you feel that Haiti has been mistreated. The World Bank helps dozens of countries, the money that Haiti agreed to pay back will go to help them when Haiti is done with it. If we just cancelled all these debts there would be no more money to lend. Money isn't just there. Especially not the billions we're talking about. BTW, the IMF is notorious for canceling part of loans if there has been more progress than expected.

On top of this if you just "cancel" all of Haiti's loans that would be the end of loans to Haiti. No money = no chance. The access to money has created more human progress than any single factor. If you want to understand this look at the micro loan program created by Muhammad Yunus. If they had just given that money to the recipients they would live off it and never improve their situation. Instead the loan money has strings attached. The simplest form of this is the carrot and the stick. The point isn't to throw the carrot on the ground and wait for it to be eaten.

The loans given to these countries are never fair.
Based on what? The IMF loans are made on terms more favorable then you or I will ever get. In many cases they give loans against projected tax surpluses or revenue; that way Haiti can build public project now instead of in 5 years. For instance the loan you speak of is a no interest loan until the end of 2011. If they just gave the money away you'd 1) have to find a new source of money, and 2) you'd have an endless string of corruption. The strings ensure that the money is spent the way Haiti promised to spend it.

The IMF have given $114M to Haiti, which the government have 5 and half years to pay back. Why should they pay it back?
Because they are honest people. If you don't make them pay it back then there is less incentive to be honest with the proceeds.

I'm reasonably certain that you don't understand that you can't just drop a bag of cash at the airport to stimulate the Haitian economy. It would cause more problems then it would would fix. When the IMF makes loans like this they require the government of Haiti to make changes or promises or prove that progress is happening in order for disbursement to happen. For instance they would ask for legislation criminalizing violence against women. Haiti's compliance with the agreement will determine the terms of the loan.

Look at the history of Haiti. It has been permanantly in Debt since it freed itself from France.
This simply isn't true.
The majority of loans in the 60's were stolen, by a known corrupt leader.
I believe Haiti ranks as one of the most corrupt nations on Earth. Your solution: give them money. Because money has historically fixed corruption.

As someone stated in this thread already,this is America's Sphere of influence, why did they not do anything.
Do anything? We invaded them once to prop up the government, and have had other diplomatic fall outs on their behalf on a regular basis. On top of that the United States has literally created their economy based on charity. Which is the problem, now isn't it.

lemon said:
the Duvalier Family, promised to stay Non-communist. Your Precious capitalist government was happy to let a nation starve and be crippled in debt, by giving money to a corrupt leader. Says a lot about you.
The fact that you know nothing of what goes on there yet puke your opinion out as though it should be respected says a lot about you.

Nobody was "happy" to let them starve. The United States is the largest donor of money to Haiti by a long shot; giving billions and subsidizing billions more in loans. You know who doesn't donate at all..... the communist countries. You're beloved followers of Marx. They don't give anything. I see the EU, France, the IMF and World Bank (financially supported by the US), the US, Canada....but not China. Well, not until the earthquake. Even then, Cuba (Haiti's communist neighbors) only sent 300 people to help out; and that was after the world community complained that they didn't send anything.

Further, Haiti isn't "crippled" by debt, they are crippled by 1) no jobs, and 2) corruption.

Check this out: (look at the date)
$1 Billion Is Pledged to Help Haiti Rebuild, Topping Request - NYTimes.com

lemon said:
If you want to know what debt should be cancelled, Ill mention the $500M debt from the IDB. A debt ive already mentioned. The loan forces the countries to pay back nations rather than the commercial banks who control the interest that they pay it back. Its not fair.
Most of these loans are interest free or way below market, that's the point of the IDB, IMF, or World Bank. The problem is you're mixing anti-capatilist/anti-corporation rhetoric with humanist rhetoric, and it is not mixing well. You see, when one is in power they cant spew extremist views that would never work. You can't take the risk. What if we gave them massive free money and they use it to start a war on their own people (Sub-Saharan Africa), or we "cancel" all their debts but then nobody will lend money to third world countries because they lost everything on the previous deals? Forcing cancellation would have a chilling effect of record proportions on world wide financial aid to third world countries. But, hey, who cares? It's fun to have extremist views, right? Well, to those of us who matter when we speak it doesn't work like that. We have real responsibilities. People really starve to death if we're wrong. We really have a conscious that won't let us take huge risks with peoples lives.

Dont say im spewing Communist filth
but you are.

( I had to go back to my International relations lecture notes for that. Thanks for the incentive to revise)
and you said you learn nothing from me calling you stupid.

Muhammad Yunus: Nobel Peace Prize Goes to Micro-Loan Pioneers

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Tired of my tax dollars going to #@#$ countries outside the US that can't seem to get their @%# together. We got enough people in the U.S. standing around with their hand out waiting for there check. Maybe we should let the situation piss off the people enough down there that they revolt and take out the corrupt government and then we talk to them about helping them out. We should quit wiping everyone's asses when they crap in their pants. I'm sure this will piss someone off....good.
If it counts, it made me happy.

No, man. I'm 24, and it wasn't too long ago that I was where you are at.

The problem is that you ARE ignorant (it is obvious to everyone but you), and because of your youth, you assume that you are enlightened. Look up the word "sophomoric" - it describes your condition to a T.

Don't worry- you'll probably grow out of it.

Probably.

If you feel someone is out of their depth because of their age or otherwise, cutting them some slack rather than backing them into a corner would be the more honorable thing to do. Especially when you're not that much older yourself.

I disagree with Lemon's analysis in some areas, but he's entitled to voice his opinion, - and name calling (not just on your part) also reveals a lack of maturity.

Last edited by a moderator:

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you feel someone is out of their depth because of their age or otherwise, cutting them some slack rather than backing them into a corner would be the more honorable thing to do. Especially when you're not that much older yourself.

I disagree with Lemon's analysis in some areas, but he's entitled to voice his opinion - and name calling (not just on your part) also reveals a lack of maturity.

I second that!

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
I sincerely don't care.

Well the least they can do here is bann you. But in my opinion, you deserve worse, much worse! You are a son of a bitch :mad:. And I don't care if I get a warning because of this. But people like you are the most despicable creatures that excists! And you are a lawyer! Then obviously not an Equal Opportunities lawyer! You deserve to ***

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well the least they can do here is bann you. But in my opinion, you deserve worse, much worse! You are a son of a bitch :mad:. And I don't care if I get a warning because of this. But people like you are the most despicable creatures that excists! And you are a lawyer! Then obviously not an Equal Opportunities lawyer! You deserve to ***
Meh. *shrug*

Two Things:
Its 'exists' not 'excists', and 'ban' not 'bann.'

Don't start sentences with prepositions. It is grammatically incorrect and it confuses your readers.

Last edited:

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

I disagree with Lemon's analysis in some areas, but he's entitled to voice his opinion, - and name calling (not just on your part) also reveals a lack of maturity.
Whoa, pal, I'm just expressing my opinion here.

I thank god everyday that my mentors, teachers, and role models didn't "do the honorable" thing and let me blabber like an idiot.

Last edited:

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Nope. But you might as well slate me for that, as you have gone at me personally throughout this thread. My family is poor, and my Nan is jewish, if you need any more ammo.
That is all very nice. I'm guessing you don't know what the Nan River is, so what is 'Nan'?

vlls

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Canada, The United States, and China are all helping with the Haiti Relief but so far we seem to be missing help from our Arab oil-rich nations. Could it be that they are to committed to suppressing their own citizens and funding their terrorist activities? I suspect this is the case.

What you are saying is not true:

Arab nations bring relief to Haiti victims - The National Newspaper

Saudi: Government Donates $50 Million to Haiti - ABC News

Kingdom donates $50m for Haiti quake relief

Bear in mind that the USA donated 100 million to Haiti and Saudi Arabia donated 50 million. Comparing the power, overall wealth and population of both countries, Saudi Arabia donated more than we did.

Get the facts before you express such an inflammatory opinion. Don't be ignorant.

Whoa, pal, I'm just expressing my opinion here.

You're also being more than a little patronising, as I'm sure you're aware; and taking obvious pleasure in 'helpfully' correcting someone else's spelling/grammar mistakes. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
That is all very nice. I'm guessing you don't know what the Nan River is, so what is 'Nan'?
What has the Nan river got to do with anything? Why would i say its Jewish? For someone thats calling me stupid for not knowing the ins and outs of economics, and for taking the piss out of someone else's english, you dont know simple simplifications......

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Bear in mind that the USA donated 100 million to Haiti and Saudi Arabia donated 50 million. Comparing the power, overall wealth and population of both countries, Saudi Arabia donated more than we did.

Get the facts before you express such an inflammatory opinion. Don't be ignorant.
First, the quote, " Some patients are not even able to take the antibiotics we give them because they don’t have access to water" should blow some minds. That is really brutal.

Second the quote, "Get the facts before you express such an inflammatory opinion. Don't be ignorant" should also blow some minds.

At last count the US had 20,000 troops in Haiti assisting with relief efforts, with total expenditures around $380 million. The UN (who gets 1/4 of their funding from the US) has promised $270 million.

But it isn't enough to just talk about it, lets get some facts in here:
USAID.org said:
HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE TO HAITI FOR THE EARTHQUAKE
FY 2010
Implementing Partner Activity Location Amount

USAID/OFDA ASSISTANCE

Action Contre la Faim
Logistics, Economic Recovery and Market
Systems, Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene
(WASH)
Port-au-Prince $2,000,000

DoD Logistics and Relief Supplies Affected Areas $40,500,000
U.S. Federal Emergency
Management Agency
(FEMA)
Search and Rescue, Emergency Response
Activities Affected Areas $36,000,000

HHS Health Affected Areas $33,000,000

InterAction Humanitarian Coordination and Information
Management Affected Areas $330,083

IOM Logistics and Relief Supplies Affected Areas $7,000,000

OCHA Humanitarian Coordination and Information
Management Affected Areas $3,000,000

Peace Corps Volunteer Translation Services Affected Areas $187,000

Samaritan
’s Purse Health, Economic Recovery and Market
Systems, Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene
Petit Goâve, Grand Goâve, Léogâne, Port-au-Prince

$1,000,000

Save the Children Health, Nutrition, and Protection Jacmel, Port-au-

Prince $5,000,000

TBD Emergency Response Activities Affected Areas $50,000

U.N. Population Fund (UNFPA) Health and Protection Affected Areas $1,000,000

UNICEF Health, Nutrition, Protection, and Water, Health, and Sanitation Affected Areas $9,000,000

USAID/DR Logistics and Relief Supplies Affected Areas $1,640,000

WFP Humanitarian Air Service, Logistics and Commodities Affected Areas $10,000,000

U.N. World Health Organization (WHO) Health Affected Areas $5,000,000

Logistics and Relief Supplies Affected Areas $8,604,113

Administrative Costs Affected Areas $180,667

TOTAL USAID/OFDA $163,491,863

USAID/FFP ASSISTANCE
WFP 39,550 MT of P.L. 480 Title II Emergency Food

Assistance Affected Areas $48,000,000

WFP 16,110 MT of P.L. 480 Title II Emergency Food

Assistance Affected Areas $20,000,000

TOTAL USAID/FFP $68,000,000

USAID/OTI ASSISTANCE

Chemonics, CHF, Development Alternatives Inc.,

Internews Transition Initiatives Affected Areas $20,000,000

TOTAL USAID/OTI $20,000,000

USAID/HAITI ASSISTANCE

IOM Infrastructure Rehabilitation and Services Affected Areas $3,527,907
TOTAL USAID/HAITI $3,527,907

USAID/DR ASSISTANCE

USAID/DR Health Affected Areas $1,000,000
TOTAL USAID/DR $1,000,000

DoD ASSISTANCE (Yep that EVIL defense budget)

DoD Logistics and Relief Supplies and Health Affected Areas $126,000,000

TOTAL DoD $126,000,000

FY 2010 HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE PROVIDED TO DATE

TOTAL USAID HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE TO HAITI FOR THE EARTHQUAKE $256,019,770

TOTAL DOD HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE TO HAITI FOR THE EARTHQUAKE $126,000,000

TOTAL USAID AND DOD HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE TO HAITI FOR THE

EARTHQUAKE $382,019,770

And thats just government spending​

Last edited:

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What has the Nan river got to do with anything? Why would i say its Jewish? For someone thats calling me stupid for not knowing the ins and outs of economics, and for taking the piss out of someone else's english, you dont know simple simplifications......
I still have no idea what a "Nan" is. I have no idea why a "Nan" could be Jewish (capitalized) as I have no idea what it is. Is "simplifications" another word for slang? If so, you're right, I don't care about slang.

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As if that wasn't enough to make you wrong, many sources are saying that private donations from the US could rival 2004 Tsunami levels; putting private donations at around the $2/billion mark. Turns out there is a whole private donor thing that works pretty well; the government isn't the only mark of how much is given. In the US the government is usually only a tiny fraction of charity as we choose to let people donate on their own (opposed to take their money by force and then filter it through a retarded-ly inefficient government before giving it to the politicians friends).​

So, taken in this light, Saudi Arabia needs to cough up some serious cash to keep up.​