Halloween

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Synergistic, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Synergistic

Synergistic Member

Albums:
    What is everyone going as for Halloween?

I'd like to go as Captain Jack Sparrow, but its a little late to be starting a pirate costume, and I don't know how to sew yet really, and am too cheap to buy a costume or have one made.

Instead I think I'll go with another, simpler Johnny Depp character, Sam from 'Benny and Joon'. It'll be esoteric, but since I'm probably going to be hanging out with theatre geeks that my friend knows anyway, they may get the reference.

2. Imported

Gold Member

awellhungboi: I don't usually dress up for Halloween, but who knows, I might do something this year.

I think the Benny & Joon character is cool idea-- better than the pirate! There's going to be so many pirates this year. Probably a lot of Freddy and Jason's too. Maybe I'll go as Seabiscuit.

3. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: "But I am wearing a costume...and lucky is the man who finds it!!" ;)

4. Imported

Gold Member

Yowsers: hummmm. . . .hugh hefner, now i just need to find the entourage. ;D

5. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: Well for me, at my height, I'd have to go as either the Frankenstein Monster or Lurch from the Adams Family.

6. Imported

Gold Member

TragicWhiteKnight: Zombie Strom Thurmond!!! Aaaaargh!

Actually, I'd like to go as the Evil Fu Manchu, but political correctness may stop that idea; I guess it depends on the party.

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

For years I've borrowed an old, beat-up coffin from my buddy at the funeral home. The kids used to lie in it on the porch and open the lid screaming to give our little trick-or-treaters the experience of crapping their pants.

But now the nest is empty.

I still borrow the thing, propping it up (opened) in a corner of the foyer, which is decorated and lit appropriately, then I remove the upper glass on the storm door so that I may hand candy out without having to open it each time. I wear an old, dark suit with corpse makeup on my face and hands and I moan in pain when handing out the candy. Scary music plays onto the porch, which is covered with cobwebs.

Naturally some kids refuse to come up my walk. The funniest, though, are the kids who freeze on the porch, screaming for their parents to rescue them - but the parents won't come up the walk, standing safely in the street calling for their petrified little ones to come to them!.

Pecker

(Somebody Shoot Out the Jukebox)

8. Imported

Gold Member

sammygirly: Oh my goodness, Halloween thoughts already....

Well, I'll most likely go out as a wary, squinting mother ushering her toddler from door to door with thoughts of which of the best candy she will thief from her son's goody bag as soon as he goes to bed....

...or something.

9. jdoe86

Gold Member

Albums:
    I dress up as "Pinhead" from "Hellraiser". I have been working on the costume for years now. I put real nails in the mask and have been working on accessories each year. Boots, leather, box, chains...

10. Imported

Gold Member

GreenEyes: [quote author=nlatimer link=board=99;num=1062870225;start=0#0 date=09/06/03 at 10:34:45]What is everyone going as for Halloween?

I'd like to go as Captain Jack Sparrow, but its a little late to be starting a pirate costume, and I don't know how to sew yet really, and am too cheap to buy a costume or have one made.

Instead I think I'll go with another, simpler Johnny Depp character, Sam from 'Benny and Joon'. It'll be esoteric, but since I'm probably going to be hanging out with theatre geeks that my friend knows anyway, they may get the reference.[/quote]

If you want to go as that you should.  There is plenty of time to get it organized.  Halloween is almost 2 months away if you think about it.

First off if you have dockers those pants would work.  See if you have an old pair of boots or a friend or go to a thift shop.  Tuck the pants in the boots.  That part is done.  

Next a white dress shirt that you don't mind playing with.  If it is oversized better.  Underneath a t shirt with no sleeves.

On your head a bandana.

Get that pirate costume acessary from a party store... usually consists of an eye patch, an earing, and something else.

Let your facial hair grow for the next month or so depending on how fast it does.

Tie a scarf about the waist.

If all else fail rent a costume but hey the Benny and June character is cool.

Have fun!

11. Imported

Gold Member

GreenEyes: double post foiled again

12. Imported

Gold Member

awellhungboi: Oh, nlatimer, you just gave me a great idea! Maybe I'll dress up as one of my boyhood heroes, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. "Wait, we can't stop here, this is bat country!"

13. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: Made my own Riff Raff costume last year that I frequently use for Rocky Horror Picture Show midnight showings... but still now quite sure as to what to be this year.

Any suggestions...? :-/

14. Imported

Gold Member

Javierdude22: See, it's such a shame that Halloween hasn't really been picked up by mainland Europeans. Although, it is gaining popularity fast, so lets'wait till those kids start knocking on doors, that would be cool.

There áre a lotta Halloween parties in clubs and so on, which are usually really cool. I went as Two Face last time, don't know what might happen this year.

15. Imported

Gold Member

SpeedoGuy: I wear a rectangular cardboard costume that is shaped to look like a milk carton. My face sticks out prominently where the "Have you seen this missing child?" image is usually located.

SG

16. Imported

Gold Member

Dantesco: [quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1062870225;start=0#12 date=09/07/03 at 23:15:40]Made my own Riff Raff costume last year that I frequently use for Rocky Horror Picture Show midnight showings... but still now quite sure as to what to be this year.

Any suggestions...? :-/[/quote]

Try Frank-N-Furter this year. You appearing in those black satin briefs should be quite an arresting sight!

17. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Javierdude-

Ironically enough, isn't Halloween, if my memory serves, descended from an old Celtic festival, that of Samhain? You'd think Europe would have been the first place it spread to...

I'm probably not going any anything...I get a charge out of giving out candy though...my first house, this is the first time people have been coming to my door...kinda cool

7x6&C

18. Imported

Gold Member

GreenEyes: [quote author=7by6etC link=board=99;num=1062870225;start=0#16 date=09/08/03 at 15:57:32]Javierdude-

Ironically enough, isn't Halloween, if my memory serves, descended from an old Celtic festival, that of Samhain?  You'd think Europe would have been the first place it spread to...

I'm probably not going any anything...I get a charge out of giving out candy though...my first house, this is the first time people have been coming to my door...kinda cool

7x6&C[/quote]

That is so cool 7. You should at least get a cape or something to scare a little but not too much the kids as you give out candy. Even if it is a clown's costume or oversized pants and shirts with a weird hat.

My mom did that once or twice and I thought that was fun to see the kids expression.

Enjoy it!

Hmmm if I hitch hike now how long will it take me to be at your house to knock on your door for Halloween. Would ya give me something sweet to eat?

19. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Well, let's see......figuring about 50-100 miles a day in hitching...10-20 days, give or take... :D

Maybe this year I will try and dress up a little for the kids. Last year it was kind of cold on Halloween (and it could be again - although today it's 91)...so I didn't get many...but I also have two cats (one of which is black) - so perhaps a witch costume...or warlock...would be in order.

7x6&C

20. Imported

Gold Member

GreenEyes: Ok 10 or 20 days traveling at a speed of? Hmmm so what day should I plan on my departure? I should take into account some extra days just in case things go astray.

I suppose I could wear a very short Witches Costume in steletto heels and a sign that says ????? or bust. Where am I heading to again?

So does that mean you would let me handle the candy?

Definitely dress up a little. Again nothing to frightening, and enjoy the day!

Draft saved Draft deleted