Handedness & sexual orientation

What hand do you use

• Total voters

huguest

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was asking myself this question, and it's actually a real theories. So may as well do a poll of it.

Do gay men are more left handed?

Read the wiki on it.
Handedness and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For my part, I'm left handed, but I'm not gay, but I do have a lot of feminine traits, and I did search my orientation when I was younger. I think Left handed call for a more imaginative side, a more emotional side of the personality and Gay men do have more feminine emotions.

What your thought?

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's a little thin, but it is always interesting to see where research takes us. I have read recently that rather than a so called gay gene there are a series of genetic markers that when they appear in a certain order tend to lean someone towards being gay. This could be a part of that, but I know far more many right handed people who are gay than are left handed.

I also reject the wiki article term of defect when applies to homosexuality. Homosexuality occurs naturally in all species and has since the beginning of time. It is a norm - although it is not the primary norm of humans and other creatures. I believe it is vital to keeping species viable and adaptable.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There are not more gay left handed gay men than right handed gay men, but the percentage of gay left handed men is higher than straight men. It certainly seems true to me. I know quite a few gay men that are left handed.

huguest

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read an article, that say that percentage of left handed is 12 to 14% in population. The article say that it's nature way of balancing competition. Because if there where only right handed, combat wouldn't evolve. By having left handed, it's a way of nature to force men to develop new ways of combat and by that protect themselves better. Even if left handed are a lot more disadvantaged in social group with right handed.

Gay population is about the same ratio. I wonder...

It's proven that nature do keep that kind of ration for survival, but I'm not sure that it's apply to everything.

D

deleted972421

A few years ago, I was in front of a room of 120 gay guys and I asked how many are left handed. I was not surprised to see about 25-30% of the guys raising their hands. Also, when out to dinner or in a meeting with gay friends, it's interesting to see a left handed percentage of 40-50%. Admittedly this is anecdotal, but I do find it happens quite often.

dards44

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Being gay and left handed I have wondered about that myself...seems to me a lot of gay people are left handed. I don't know how gay left handed people stack up against the general population left handed on this percentage wise..

Trekrider

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have noticed this - there does seem to be a greater amount of southpaws in the gay world. I am left handed for writing, right handed for masturbation, and ambidextrous for using tools.

I am hardcore left-handed and agree that being left handed seems more common among gays.

From what I have read, about 17 percent of people are left-handed. Currently there is no definitive research on how many gays there are, but it will likely be found that around 15-18 percent of the population is significantly gay. And among gays the prevalence of left-handedness will likely be found to double that of straight individuals.

Like Rodger Daingerfield might have said, “Left-handers get no respect”. Seems like ---every culture has a negative word for being left-handed.

----------------

Greek (word for left handed) Skaios meaning Ill-omened, awkward

Italian (word for left handed) Mancino meaning Crooked, maimed

Spanish (word for left handed) Zurdo meaning Reverse – No Ser Zurdo = clever

French (word for left handed) Gauche meaning Awkward, Clumsy

Dutch (word for left handed) Linkshandig meaning Clumsy

Norwegian (word for left handed) Kjevhendt meaning Crooked handed

Australia (word for left handed) Mollie Dooker meaning something like Fist Like a Girl

Latin (word for left handed) Sinister meaning on the left side

Reactions: alcor972

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was asking myself this question, and it's actually a real theories. So may as well do a poll of it.

Do gay men are more left handed?

Read the wiki on it.
Handedness and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For my part, I'm left handed, but I'm not gay, but I do have a lot of feminine traits, and I did search my orientation when I was younger. I think Left handed call for a more imaginative side, a more emotional side of the personality and Gay men do have more feminine emotions.

What your thought?
What does being gay have to do with feminine traits? And what is a feminine emotion?

Reactions: alcor972