Handedness & sexual orientation

What hand do you use

• Total voters

huguest

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What does being gay have to do with feminine traits? And what is a feminine emotion?

Your right, My view is a bit pejorative, men and women have the same level of emotion, but women do tend to express it more.
Now for being gay, All my gay friend do tend to express more their feeling then say my straight coworkers. On that point, I was referring to my personal experience. Your experience could differ from mine.

The feminine traits was my personal questioning, because I do have long hair, I'm slim with gentile facial expression, AND I'm left handed.

I'm sorry for my jumble up post, I was trying to express too much information at the same time.

The question is still interesting, Science show us that nature create a ration to provoke evolution. You find that ration in the left handed VS right handed, the same ration is find for gay/straight or for eye's colour, etc.

I don't know if nature would combine exception trait together, like there is more left handed in gay population.

Reactions: alcor972

alcor972

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Do gay men are more left handed?
... here you are speaking about men...
I think Left handed call for a more imaginative side, a more emotional side of the personality and Gay men do have more feminine emotions.
.. here you are associating left-handedness not only with sexuality but with feminity...
The feminine traits was my personal questioning, because I do have long hair, I'm slim with gentile facial expression, AND I'm left handed.
... here again... and much more than previously... you are associating left-handedness to feminity...
So...
... what is the proportion of left-handed in woman?... is it more important than in men?...
... is it possibly at the same level that it is observed in a gay men population?...
... what about the homosexual women?... is the left-handed rate even higher than in straight women?... how is it compare to the left-handed rate in gay men?...
thank you, huguest...

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Your right, My view is a bit pejorative, men and women have the same level of emotion, but women do tend to express it more.
Now for being gay, All my gay friend do tend to express more their feeling then say my straight coworkers. On that point, I was referring to my personal experience. Your experience could differ from mine.

I'm not trying to show you that your views are pejorative, I'm just saying you're wrong. It's incorrect to conclude that higher incidence of left-handedness in gay men is connected with their presumed femininity.
If your reasoning where correct, the majority of straight men and gay women would be right-handed while the majority of gay men and straight women would be left-handed. That's not the case at all. In all of those four populations, the right hand is more likely to be the dominant hand, even though incidence of left-handedness vary. Some studies have found that lesbians and gay men are more likely to be left handed than their straight counterparts, and men are slightly more likely (8,52%) to be left handed than women (6,69%). (Source: "The incidence of left-handedness: a meta-analysis", of Seddon and MacManus")
If we were to say that left handedness is a trustworthy indicative of femininity, we would have to conclude that men are more feminine than women.

huguest

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmmm

My question was not scientific at all, it was just a simple question of observation based on a news that I read. My intention was not to elevate science at all, only anecdotal.

Again, the word "feminine" was wrongly use here on my part. We know that the left hand is related to the right side of the brain, the right side of the brain manage more emotion, and creativity. So I'm implying that does that show more their emotional are more likely to be left handed, or more likely left handed show more their emotional.

Femininity have nothing to do with it, it's was more an expression, "emotional like a women".

Anyway, I'm not going to argue on this, it's pretty silly assumption and generalization, but it was my Idea to question and ask so my assumption could be answered.

It was suit to a article that I read that explain a possible reason for the left handed vs right handed existence and in the article they do mention the same ration for gay population without implying anything.

Thanks for the scientific statistic anyway.

I am not sure what developmental connection might exist between being gay and being left-handed. But I would suggest that the results of being either left handed or gay promotes the development of a sharp thinking individual. If he/she should happen to be both gay and left handed then the analytical part of human intelligence should be even further enhanced.

Being gay in a straight world and being left handed in a right-handed world share a lot of parallels.

--- Left-handed people learn quickly that they must adapt to right-handed techniques and machines (or must change the technology so it works for left-handers). In order to adapt they are forces to study unnatural (for them) right-handed processes. This is necessary so they can competently perform task designed by/for right-handed people. The result is an individual better skilled at observing and learning.

--- Gay people are usually quick to realize that they need to blend in to ways of straight thinking and doing. Since many of these ways are not natural for them, they often take great pains to model themselves and their behaviors so they can freely move within the dominant straight culture. The result is an individual who is often highly skilled at reading and adapting to cultural norms (where analysis is key).