Handmaid's Tale

BadBoyCanada

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Went on vacation an decided I should give this book a try. No real reason except a sociology professor (from 1990 when I was at Queen's University) who was a feminist spoke vividly of this book.

I'm no Margret Atwood fan, but since she is a Canadian icon, I thought I should invest the time.

The book is a perspective of feminism, written in the mid 1980's. It's quite a dry read, and I'm still processing all its meaning.

One thing I did find interesting is that the basis of the plot is religious zealots have taken over America because of the failed society. Women are stripped of all their rights and basically a caste system is set-up.

In 1985 (year of publication), the power of religious political movements was a thing of fiction. Move forward 25 years, and Atwood appears to be a prophet.

Has anyone read this and like to offer some opinion? I'm an accountant by trade, so stories full of metaphor go way, way over me.

I realize it has a potent message, but what the hell is it? :confused:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I'm no Margret Atwood fan, but since she is a Canadian icon, I thought I should invest the time.

The book is a perspective of feminism, written in the mid 1980's. It's quite a dry read, and I'm still processing all its meaning.

Haven't read it, BBC.
But I like what you're saying here.
She is a Canadian literary icon, but I can't get into her.
And I'm amazed how many literary people feel the same way.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BBC,
I think you are reading that accurately. You are correct that it can be read as a cautionary tale about what might happen if a state becomes a theocracy. One thing in common with all religious extremisst is that they seem to want to roll the clock back to some time in the past, establish the rule of law from their holy books, and they seem to want to subjugate their women.

The book depicts a kind of theocratic dystopia full of hypocrisy. And as you point out, it is kind of prescient about the future from the point of view of 1985. Consider how many states have legislative actvity these days to allow the introduction of religous notions as alternatives to science in public schools. I think it is about 20 states at any one time.

As a Christian and an American, I am thankful for the US Constitution's Establishment Clause that seeks to prevent that kind of stuff. It iis designed to keep government out of religion, but just as importantly, it seeks to keep religion out of government.

Last edited: