Happiness.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's been a lot of negative threads on here lately, I don't mind that too much I've observed over a number of years how all sites go through phases, for a time it's all calm waters then a storm hits but the site weathers it - so let's have some happy threads.

When you're feeling miserable what do you do to make yourself feel better?

It sounds strange but when I'm feeling miserable I put some sad songs on and wallow in it for a bit - then when I've moped about and got it out of my system I can go back to being perky and peppy :)

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I go to sleep. (if I can...) - although antidepressants have a side effect on me of making me sleep SO much that I can't function, so I can't take them.

I also look at stuff online - yes there are all the negative threads here now, but there's still a lot of the good stuff. Sometimes I'll play games online too.

I do the opposite as far as music goes though - I put on, if anything, African music (which I think is usually happy sounding), and particularly Baka Beyond's "Spirit of the Forest" CD.

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
misery loves company. listening to a sad song makes you feel less alone, you feel like someone has gone thru the same shit you are going thru.

other than that, i just distract myself from the problem...watch a movie, play some Guitar Hero (or other video game), surf around online, go for a drive, eat, sleep, go to a diner, go wander around a mall...

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For a pilot it is anything but exemplary behavior, but good ol' drinking is the best I can do to get through a momentary miserable phase. It's not about getting drunk, but drinking enough to avoid ruminating too much. It's either that, or I go out and force myself into the company of others, another thing that usually helps me.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you want to hear some really mopey music, have a listen to a group called Black Tape for a Blue Girl. I like their music but I CAN'T listen to them if I'm sad or I'll get even worse! :eek: They have the most depressing music I've ever heard.

I only found one video on YouTube that features Black Tape for a Blue Girl so I'll link to it here...

YouTube - The Scavenger Bride - Anime

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm a big fan of Sarah McLachlan who sings a version of Gloomy Sunday, this song has an urban legend attached to it that people who listen to it commit suicide, but what is true is that the composer of it did commit suicide, and there's even a film about the song.

Gloomy Sunday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

digger2004gee

Experimental Member
Media
i've been feeling sad for a while, music always cheers me up, my ex keeps screwing with my head, she finished with me but keeps ringing me telling me she doesn't want to let go which makes me worse. As soon as i start to feel a little better, ring ring the phone goes and all my feelings come flooding back. Don't know what to do, i love her a lot, any advice people???

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I masturbate. Although not as much now as I'm busy with work and getting my own office. Which is good :smile:

I also used to write but I hardly have the time anymore. Or the inspiration/inclination.

Masturbation is good though. Or watching some comedy like The Simpsons or Family Guy.

B_Veronica_Divine

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I masturbate. Although not as much now as I'm busy with work and getting my own office. Which is good :smile:

I also used to write but I hardly have the time anymore. Or the inspiration/inclination.

Masturbation is good though. Or watching some comedy like The Simpsons or Family Guy.

I use comedy to cheer up too. I like listening to stand-up.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've written some horribly sad songs in my years, and when I'm down, I whip out the guitar or sit at the piano and play a couple. It seems to cleanse me. Of course, jerking off ain't bad, either!

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've written some horribly sad songs in my years, and when I'm down, I whip out the guitar or sit at the piano and play a couple. It seems to cleanse me. Of course, jerking off ain't bad, either!

:mad:

If only I could play! I'm thinking about getting (another lol) instrument. I'm thinking guitar but I'm into Alicia Keys at the moment and she is an unreal talent! Piano is harder than guitar though methinks. Although they say a song is more 'complete' on piano.

Then there's the matter of songwriting and singing...so I just stick to stewing my brain in comedy.

B_Swimming Lad

Experimental Member
Media
I play the piano for hours. Nobody writes heavy misery like the Russians and Mendelssohn is the best of the bunch. He wrote some fabulous sad pieces.

Its much easier to for me to forget everything when I'm lost in the music.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I haven't got a solution for gigantic sadness (like the deep melancholy I felt when my mum died).

But for the occasional bouts of everyday "downs", I play piano, write music, play sudoku, go shopping, etc. etc. (If I listen to music or watch a movie, I'm likely to get even sadder.)

But I've found that "philosophy" helps me faster and more effectively. I "step outside" of the sadness, and try to identify the "lesson" I need to learn -- what "wisdom" can I take away from this package of emotions?

And if that fails, a good stiff drink (which of course has two meanings...) :tongue:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm so jealous! I hate you alllllllllllllll! :tongue:

You are very wise though milf :smile:

I use music to "medicate my mind" also. Listening to music is of course what I mean! The only music I play has a distinct fapping sound to it and very few notes.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

It depends on what I am sad about, after a break-up I usually go out and buy all new makeup and change my hair. Either a cut, color or both.

For after a break-up or random sadness I often write bad, rhyming haiku.

If it's winter I ski or go ice skating.

During the summer I used to love going down the shore and walking the boards or just napping on the beach and reading a book. Now that I am landlocked (I'm a 6 hr drive from the ocean now :frown1:) I swim in the pool out back.

Gardening is something I love to do year round! I always have pots of something growing about my place. Fresh herbs in the kitchen, colorful plants in each room and if the mood strikes I will buy fresh flowers in cheery colors and do my own arrangements.

If I feel like wallowing in misery I put on some comfy cotton pajamas and listen to Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska. It is quite possibly the most depressing and maudlin rock compilation ever written.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's been a lot of negative threads on here lately, I don't mind that too much I've observed over a number of years how all sites go through phases, for a time it's all calm waters then a storm hits but the site weathers it - so let's have some happy threads.

It sounds strange but when I'm feeling miserable I put some sad songs on and wallow in it for a bit - then when I've moped about and got it out of my system I can go back to being perky and peppy :)

That's not strange. There have actually been studies showing that is the healthiest thing one can do to help them ease through their sadness. I've done it too. Another thing I do when I'm feeling good enough to even want to get out of bed is spend time in my garden. It seems to help to tend to something that is living and not demanding anything from me.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think connecting with the earth in some way is one of the healthiest things we can do, I like a bit of gardening - the planting pretty plants type gardening, not the digging type.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I remind myself that it is November and at 11pm I'm still sat outside in my shorts and no top. I think what it was like back in the UK when already it would have been dark for about 6 hours and I would be paying a fortune to run the central heating at full blast.