Happy birthday Martin Luther King

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
sssssssshhhhhhhh !!! I am having a dream !!!

note: MLK Jr. is dead Lafever

Yeah, but we still celebrate his birthday... thanx for the sensitivity Arliss! :cool:

Martin Luther King was and still is this country's greatest icon of peace!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY M.L.!!!! :biggrin1:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hear there may be a MLK IV in the works. MLK III and his wife are expecting....

P.S. Arliss, behave before mommy has to give you that spanking she promised you 20 years ago. LOL! ( that was pretty witty, though)

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What a great man he was. A greatness we shall never see again. His birthday was January 15th. My eldest was born or the 15th. Today we honor and remember what a wonderful man he was.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
as a white guy with nothing but the deepest regard for MLK, i think he would be utterly dismayed by the young african american population under 35 who throw the "N" word around with such callous and disgusting disregard.

It makes me sick to my stomach to hear it, and i believe hewould be sickened by it as well.

a disgusting word.

being jewish, i cannot imagine myself ever referring to my friends, or siblings or other jews by those despicable words associated with judaism.

I cannot fathom what is wrong with these black kids my age (36) and younger who throw it around like it is nothing.

MLK would be very saddened.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
as a white guy with nothing but the deepest regard for MLK, i think he would be utterly dismayed by the young african american population under 35 who throw the "N" word around with such callous and disgusting disregard.

It makes me sick to my stomach to hear it, and i believe hewould be sickened by it as well.

a disgusting word.

being jewish, i cannot imagine myself ever referring to my friends, or siblings or other jews by those despicable words associated with judaism.

I cannot fathom what is wrong with these black kids my age (36) and younger who throw it around like it is nothing.

MLK would be very saddened.

You are soooooo right Flashy!!!

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I second that Flashy.." I just DON'T get why a lot of the Young people do what they do anymore. It is like spitting in our faces in my eyes.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I second that Flashy.." I just DON'T get why a lot of the Young people do what they do anymore. It is like spitting in our faces in my eyes.

I never thought i would be one of those folks who says "these kids today..." (and I am only 36!)

but these kids today are really just idiots...i think you are seeing this because it is the first full generation to be so utterly consumed by media in all its facets (tv, music, internet, cellphones, videogames etc.) that they don't really know much else outside of that.

I think i was pretty lucky in that the internet did not become prevalent till i was at least 25 (1996), that MTV did not start till i was 12 (and it was still all consuming)

cable TV really wasn't even all consuming untill the early 90s

i shudder to think what these next kids are going to be like.

:eek:

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i shudder to think what these next kids are going to be like.

:eek:

I know I am just ONE person. But, I buy a lot of books about Black History. I even have other books about other races. I don't have kids yet. But, I do have sisters and a brother with children.
I want them to KNOW about the PAST and not be so STUPID about it bacause they are NOT learning ANYTHING in school. Like History, Math and etc.." I see how kids dress, act and talk when we move from City to city, Country or so forth. Hubby is Navy.." It is really SAD where I am now.." I never seen so MANY children and grown folk so SILLY and just plain stupid..in my life until I came "HERE".."
These people are MEDIA LOVER'S and it is SAD.." I can go on and on.
But, I will just leave this by saying how the kids have NO manners, the grown folk blast Rap music with the most NASTIEST WORDS they can find.." These folks have some wierd logic...here.." The little girls 20, 16, 10 and younger dress like strippers. I really mean that.. STRIPPERS..." If you don't believe come to Hawaii and see..." I see some of the NASTIEST WORDS on their clothes like it is CUTE.." I feel like I live in HELL...here.."
I love how they wear BOB Marley clothes and still look down on the Black folk here.." It is TOO funny.."

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know I am just ONE person. But, I buy a lot of books about Black History. I even have other books about other races. I don't have kids yet. But, I do have sisters and a brother with children.
I want them to KNOW about the PAST and not be so STUPID about it bacause they are NOT learning ANYTHING in school. Like History, Math and etc.." I see how kids dress, act and talk when we move from City to city, Country or so forth. Hubby is Navy.." It is really SAD where I am now.." I never seen so MANY children and grown folk so SILLY and just plain stupid..in my life until I came "HERE".."
These people are MEDIA LOVER'S and it is SAD.." I can go on and on.
But, I will just leave this by saying how the kids have NO manners, the grown folk blast Rap music with the most NASTIEST WORDS they can find.." These folks have some wierd logic...here.." The little girls 20, 16, 10 and younger dress like strippers. I really mean that.. STRIPPERS..." If you don't believe come to Hawaii and see..." I see some of the NASTIEST WORDS on their clothes like it is CUTE.." I feel like I live in HELL...here.."
I love how they wear BOB Marley clothes and still look down on the Black folk here.." It is TOO funny.."

i saw a very brilliant yet extremely sad documentary on HBO about the 50 year anniversary of the Integration of Central high school in Little Rock Arkansas.

there were about 3-4 kids who gave me hope in the entire thing, and the rest was just so sad to watch, and makes me even more worried for the future of the black community in this country.

i would highly recommend seeing it...unfortunately, again, MLK, and people like Frederick Douglas, WEB Dubois, Booker T Washington would be simply horrified to see what is going on with these kids.

Racism is certainly alive and well in this country, and always will be in some way or other, but most of the problems afflicting the black community these days cannot be blamed any longer on someone else.

it is a tragedy, and sadly, i do not think it will get better.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Where has black civil rights and equality come since MLK? Seems like it is lobsided among black people with those who have made it not doing much for those that haven't. Not sure how much the color or your skin can bind you to another without the having any of the same struggles or problems. How does Obama speak for Black Americans when he never grew up ethnically as one in Hawaii or Indonesia? Just because a person shares the same kind of skin as you, he speaks for you? Riddiculous.

Now MLK was a great leader, no doubt about it and a visionary because he was the real deal.

I just wish his birthday was in the summer. We could use another one besides the 4th.

I wonder how many non-government employees get MLK day off?