Happy Holidays....Sharing a short film with you all

greek18

Experimental Member
Media
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us Caneadea. I don't want to seem as if I am pounding you, but you are wrong in using the word Religion. NOT ONCE is that word used in THIS THREAD. It has not been mentioned once by any of those who posted. Granted, the film strip did mention the birth of the child on Christmas Eve....but it paid reference to the peace some may reap from that birth.
The whole point is this my fellow poster: Christmas is a much bigger thing than any organized religious denomination. It is a spirit. It is that particular spirit that will make us on Christmas Eve or Day smile and say good morning to our neighbour whereas otherwise we wouldn't on any given day. Christmas is a spirit (please don't take the word spirit as fundamentalist jargon) which puts a smile on the faces of young and old. It is hope; hope that perhaps we can be kind to one another, perhaps we can care for the poor, perhaps we can try to make an orphaned child happy, perhaps we can show the greatness of our stature. At Christmas Caneadea we do not need a hurricane or a tsunami to be benevolent to be charitable......it just.....well comes naturally all within the spirit of the season. I end my sermon (hmmm dangerous word) with the following advice: Don't throw the baby out with the bath water........you have valid points....but don't throw out Christmas! Isn't Christmas in some way all we have left?
MERRY CHRISTMAS CANEADEA

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
caneadea said:
Truly evil people like Fred Phelps, Jerry Falwell, and Pat Robertson have hi-jacked organized religion and made it a cult of hatred.

What kind of people spend their time and money flying all over the country just so they can stand outside a funeral service holding up signs that say that their god HATES you?

What kind of people are so stupid and hateful that they blame hurricanes and other natural disasters on gays and lesbians?

What kind of religion supports the sexual molestation of children?

They have made me very sensitive toward this issue.

Your vicious attacks on me merely because I do not share your view, are exactly the negative aspects of so called "religion" that drive people away from it.

I wish that religion was more friendly, loving, welcoming, and peaceful.
I wish that all people practiced more goodness, kindness and decency.
I wish that everyone would live by the "golden rule".

PEACE

What about all the churches who preach the LOVE of Jesus? What about the Christians who practice the LOVE of Jesus? What about churches who run homeless shelters, that have ministries overseas, that educate people who are on welfare so they can get jobs and provide for their families, that are rebuilding homes and churches for those who were displaced by the hurricane in Lousiana and Mississippi. There are churches who actually do walk the walk and talk the talk and don't condemn everyone who might perhaps think differently--and guess what? Some of them are *gasp* BAPTIST! We Christians are not supposed to judge, "lest we be judged", however many self-righteous ministers feel that it is their right to take the place of God and judge all who come before them. It is our place as Christians to come before God as a sinner. We are all equal in God's eyes. In the meantime, we are supposed to actively live out our faith by daring for the poor, the widowed, the downtrodden, etc. We are to lift up those who have been trampled upon, heal those who have been hurt, help the less fortunate--share our gifts.

It's sad that people can only dwell on the negative things of a few people and not see the true side of Christianity. There is so much more to the church than the farces that are Fred Phelps, Jerry Falwell and their cohorts. Those men do not represent what Christianity is or what it stands for. They are embarassments to the true church and its members.

maroon

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
first post here after being a fairly longtime "lurker", as people here call it. sounds a little too creepy for my liking. and who would have thought the post would have been about this.

first off there is a lot of evidence suggesting that jesus' birthday was NOT december 25th

one thing that puzzled me was how "peace was brought" by the birth of jesus. events such as, but not limited to, the crusades somewhat disprove that notion.

for the record im an agnostic

greek18

Experimental Member
Media
Maroon, I take it that you are referring to my post above so I will comment. If you check out what I said: I said the peace some may reap from that birth..............reap is the key word.....because His birth brought murder....the babes of Bethlehem etc......your point is well taken, but by using the word "reap" I mean what developed later through His teachings.
But look, this entire thread should probably be wiped off.......if that is possible..........because I had no intention of starting a religious feud.......
I was simply sharing something I thought was nice.......and expected to receive comments like ahhhh.....how nice..........instead it turned into something else..........
As far as I am concerned, that is it.........end of point.........Seasons Greetings!

MsLulu

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here are my thoughts on political correctness, whiney granola-heads and pseudo-intellects. You know who you are... you don't need me to embarrass you publically....

smiley.gif

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
greek18 said:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us Caneadea. I don't want to seem as if I am pounding you, but you are wrong in using the word Religion. NOT ONCE is that word used in THIS THREAD. It has not been mentioned once by any of those who posted. Granted, the film strip did mention the birth of the child on Christmas Eve....but it paid reference to the peace some may reap from that birth.
The whole point is this my fellow poster: Christmas is a much bigger thing than any organized religious denomination. It is a spirit. It is that particular spirit that will make us on Christmas Eve or Day smile and say good morning to our neighbour whereas otherwise we wouldn't on any given day. Christmas is a spirit (please don't take the word spirit as fundamentalist jargon) which puts a smile on the faces of young and old. It is hope; hope that perhaps we can be kind to one another, perhaps we can care for the poor, perhaps we can try to make an orphaned child happy, perhaps we can show the greatness of our stature. At Christmas Caneadea we do not need a hurricane or a tsunami to be benevolent to be charitable......it just.....well comes naturally all within the spirit of the season. I end my sermon (hmmm dangerous word) with the following advice: Don't throw the baby out with the bath water........you have valid points....but don't throw out Christmas! Isn't Christmas in some way all we have left?
MERRY CHRISTMAS CANEADEA

scottsimms

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
"I see very clearly the message here. Fundamentalists are pushing their fundamentalism."

I am no fan of literalism and I have no idea what the intention behind the link is about. But I DO know that there are many pathways to the truth and just like your beliefs, canadea, no matter what they are, they are essentially mythic and all add up to the same message. So lighten up, get off your politically-correct and cliched high horse and recognize a metaphor when you see it.

scottsimms

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
"first off there is a lot of evidence suggesting that jesus' birthday was NOT december 25th"

Yeah, and the New Year doesn't begin on January 1. What's the point? Your statement is irrelevant.

"one thing that puzzled me was how "peace was brought" by the birth of jesus. events such as, but not limited to, the crusades somewhat disprove that notion."

Another tired cliche and lame argument. What the Christ, like Buddha and others, "brought" about was a change in consciousness: instead of living in brutishness, man was charged with treating his brother as himself. How others misinterpreted the message doesn't make the message any less powerful and revolutionary, not to mention evolutionary. Just because someone uses a knife to kill someone doesn't invalidate it as a useful tool of civilization.

scottsimms

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
"Hito all of you. I am so sad to say that in all of my 74 years I have never seen so many people who are opposed to Christmas. I guess I have always had my head and heart in the clould and took things simply and didd not look for such sadistic meanings."

The problem isn't fundamentalism--it's literalism. Our culture has been so brainwashed by materialism and bombarded 24/7 by the inanity of the electronic media it has lost the ability to think in metaphors or abstractions, which is the heart of all religion. The end result is a staggering lack of imagination and a failure to see beneath the surface of things to the message underneath, which is universal and common to all, no matter what denomination.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
caneadea said:
I admit that I over reacted.:)
I am not anti Christmas.
I am not anti peace.

I believe that "greek18" innocently offerred a link that he found endearing and that represented his values.

And, as I predicted, the theists had to viciously attack anyone who was offended by the heavy dose of religion piled on top of the message of peace.

Believe in whatever you choose. I am the first to support your freedom to practice your religion. However, I have the right to not be exposed to it.

Instead of castigating me, why don't you make an attempt to learn why I feel the way I do?

Truly evil people like Fred Phelps, Jerry Falwell, and Pat Robertson have hi-jacked organized religion and made it a cult of hatred.

What kind of people spend their time and money flying all over the country just so they can stand outside a funeral service holding up signs that say that their god HATES you?

What kind of people are so stupid and hateful that they blame hurricanes and other natural disasters on gays and lesbians?

What kind of religion supports the sexual molestation of children?

They have made me very sensitive toward this issue.

Your vicious attacks on me merely because I do not share your view, are exactly the negative aspects of so called "religion" that drive people away from it.

PEACE
Caneadea,

Think for a moment how I feel as well. It is my religion that that I feel has been hijacked. I dont' lke the Jerry Faldwells and Pat Robertsons either. They are perverted the religion that I believe.

These are your words. It is the beliefs that I believe Jesus taught here on earth. I couldn't agree with you more. There are some references in the Bible where Jesus uses with strong words, but if you look at the context before and after such words are stated, you see Jesus was painting a picture, not being the "Great Condemner."

Jesus's actual words at the end were, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." Jesus was talking about the very people putting him to death. And he said Father forgive.

I am United Methodst, the vast, vast majority of Methodists don't believe in a hate religion. It is wrong to hate.

Nothing would please God in heaven then for the words you just spoken to really happen.

As others have said, Christmas is suposed to be a time when we for just one moment try to live what you expressed. Maybe someday we can learn to do all all the year, not just at Christmas time.

"Peace on Earth, Good will towards men." Not just for Christmas time anymore.

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Pappy said:
Caneadea, could you please point out the"vicious attack" of which you speak??
Anything relating to religion seems to be the most sensative topic for discussion. In two separate threads, I have been verbally beaten over the head and referred to extremely derogatorally merely because I have a different opinion. This is how many "religious" people in society respond to anyone who questions different beliefs. A perfect example is Tom Cruise. It isn't safe for any interviewer to even mention his Scientology practices without bringing on a violent finger-jabbing diatribe from the actor. This reaction only further alienates people who would simply like to understand the subject.
I don't seek to change anyones views on religion. Nor do I welcome anyone attempting to change my views. Rather, I would like to have a civil conversation to allow everyone to understand why you and I came to believe what we do, no matter how different. A good example of this is you, Pappy, asking for an explanation rather than posting an angry response. Thank you.:)

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
caneadea said:
Anything relating to religion seems to be the most sensative topic for discussion. In two separate threads, I have been verbally beaten over the head and referred to extremely derogatorally merely because I have a different opinion. This is how many "religious" people in society respond to anyone who questions different beliefs. A perfect example is Tom Cruise. It isn't safe for any interviewer to even mention his Scientology practices without bringing on a violent finger-jabbing diatribe from the actor. This reaction only further alienates people who would simply like to understand the subject.
I don't seek to change anyones views on religion. Nor do I welcome anyone attempting to change my views. Rather, I would like to have a civil conversation to allow everyone to understand why you and I came to believe what we do, no matter how different. A good example of this is you, Pappy, asking for an explanation rather than posting an angry response. Thank you.:)

It is tragic that so many religions are willing to fight for freedom of religion but only for the specific religion they believe in. We are supposed to have freedom of religion for everyone. At least in America that is our official government law.

I would be glad to discuss civilly what I believe and how I came to believe it either in e-mail, personal message or here on the board.

For starters, I do believe in a supreme being who offers eternal life for EVERYONE who wants to live with God. I believe that God comes to every person while here on earth and offers the chance at eternal life to everyone. No, I don't believe that all will decide to live an eternal life with God. The reason is that would then take away all of the free will of man. And I strongly believe that we as humans have moral freedom to make decisions right or wrong.

Unlike the fundies I believe that this eternal gift is given to all. It is a gift not so much to be accepted, but can be rejected.

No, I don't believe in a literal hell. I do believe the Bible contains the word of God. But it also contains a lot more than that It is a record of man's relationship to God as man understood it at the time. Many of the stories are there to make a point and aren't literal. My favorite it the Noah story. God lead people to tell this story. I don't believe it is literal. The whole point of the Noah story is at the end. God decides to never destroy people for bad behavior by sending a flood. In order to send that message, the story of God destroyng the earth because of people's bad behaior occured first. Then God looked down and decided that he had made a mistake. Mistake: Yeah, that is the point of the story. The idea that a God would send floods to punish people is not what God is about. This story occurs early on in the Bible. Yet today, people tried to blame the hurricanes on God. Some of us still haven't learned. (My opionion)

God is love, kindness, gentleness, compassion, forgiveness, acceptance and on and on the list goes. That is my belief.

Do you have to believe in a Christian God to live with God eternally. NO. While I do believe in the story of Jesus death on the cross. That doesn't mean that God's gift of eternal life is limited to Christians or Jews or any other religion. Each person has a consience that interacts with God. Only you as a person knows your relationship to God. No one else knows for sure. WE only take your word what you say.

I am not the eternal judge of others. God alone decides who has chosen to live in his kingdom and who has chosen not to. God gave the invitation and God knows your response.

Do we all hear the invitation the same? No we don't. Some of that is our fault. We are not perfect. God talks to each of us in a way that we can understand. So we all hear the invitation a bit different.

This covers some of what I belive. No way could I cover it all in a post.But at least there is a point of discussion. I would suggest that all discussions begin with what we have in common in beliefs instead of looking to see what we disagree with.

So I will start with a common belief. As I said in an earlier post. (Two posts earlier I believe.) Your words very well tell who you are and I could not agree more than I do with what you wrote. You have the essence of goodwill toward other men. God in heaven is bound to be pleased with that statement.. That is what I believe.

Thanks for posting and again welcome to this forum. I am the longwinded writer here. LOL

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
caneadea said:
I'm an atheist, but not immune to the power of some of the symbols of Christmas. And I thought they were expressed nicely in parts of this. A single night of absolute peace. The rebirth of innocence. Love all that.

And the overt references to Christianity were not so in-yer-face as the fundies would have made them. I can live ith that.

Some of it did get lost in new-age babble. Oh well. A belated Merry Christmas to you all.