Happy Hurricane Season!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by midlifebear, Jun 1, 2011.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

Today is the first day of the official hurricane season for everywhere from Central America to Florida and States north. I think it's time to start bunches of official Hurricane Festivals where native tribes still living in Florida and affected States are invited to have "Appease the Hurricane Gods" pow wows that include cotton candy and hurricane tents where residents can buy the hurricane protection they need. In addition to plywood and duct tape concessions, this would include various shamans, wiccans, neo-druids, et al, selling voodoo protection, charms, tribal blessings and maybe a pentecostal tent where the really scared can get a quick complete immersion baptism as a born-again just as a back up plan.

Anyway, I hope you LPSG-ers living in hurricane country remain safe and untouched by the possibility of the impending storms that are currently forming in the Gulf of Mexico and the mid-Atlantic. After the recent tornado tragedies, folks don't need more shit to fuck up their lives.

I'm burning Shoshone sage sticks and sending positive karmic bullets in the general direction of all of you who may be harms way.

Take care. And by all means don't stick around thinking you can ride out any of the storms.

2. D_Kitten_Kaboodle

D_Kitten_Kaboodle Account Disabled

for Alabamians (and others around the Gulf)...the tornado season officially ended last week, just in time for hurricane season... we will get spinoff tornadoes from the hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico...As hurrican season ends, it will be time for round two (or three) Fall Tornado Season....

and this last bout of tornadoes put everyone on alert to pay attention to the weather channel during the next few months... Oh yeah... we dont' have to worry about tornadoes in the winter time (whew)

3. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ugh, I've already been thinking about it. I just hope for less than a category three. Anything three and under I can ride out. If it hits a four power will be out through half the state knowing our luck! I'd take a hurricane over a tornado any day. It seems so hot already which is normally a bad sign.

PS I've been doing my rain dances already this year so I'll make sure I add the anti-hurricane dance as well :)

4. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Knock on wood: the last time we had a significant even was 2005, when we got socked by both Katrina and Wilma. When the power was restored following Katrina it wiped out my OS as well as very nearly all my files. Wilma was a first-class disaster that left us without running water for two days and double-digit weeks waiting for electricity.

Hurricanes are no fucking joke.

SG: Please don't send me a message with no way to respond! Argh!

6. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Hope you all have an uneventful season..but checking weather models for your part of the coast gives you a fairly accurate picture of what the up coming season has in store.

Here are a few of my tips that I do at the beginning of every season and it has stood me in good stead esp. with the last horror season we Queenslanders have just had...

* Look at weather models for the season.
    * Always assume that it will take at least 6 weeks for essential services to be re-connected in the event of a cyclone/hurricane and use that as your guide.
    * Have six weeks worth the tinned/long life food put aside. Things with a long shelf life..long life milk, shelf stable breads like Naan bread, tortillas and various flat breads, rice, dried pasta..etc.
    *Water....I have a few cases of bottled water and then I make sure I have the means to boil and filter mains supply until I get the word that it is no longer contaminated by sewage.
    *Two gerry cans of fuel for the car. In the event of a flood alot of underground fuel tanks at filling stations will be contaminated by water plus there will be panic buying and shortages.
    *Cash. When the power cuts out you can't use electronic means to buy any further supplies.
    *Gas cylinders. I get all my camping gas bottles checked and all the O-rings replaced and then I get them all filled. I also get my gas lights and little camping gas stove checked as well.
    *I get the car serviced and make sure my tyres are ok.
    *Get the trees around the house lopped.

Hope you lot stay safe and are prepared in the event of a big blow.

7. witch

witch Member

the only good thing about hurricanes .. if you can call it good, is that you know one is coming and which gives some time to get ready ................. earthqukes just happen O.O

Draft saved Draft deleted