Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was gonna link a video regarding the forced adoption of Native Americans in the US in the twentieth century. It's filled with adults detailing their experiences, but wasn't sure if that would contravene the TOS, so decided to delete it.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
its sure beneficial for us all

Ditto. I love that we as Indigenous people have a voice here!

thanks
tbh
i take a chance with 'some kids' in occasional videos
it/they may contravene TOS
but we are Adults and as long as no one is ignorant/stupid enough to be pigheaded arrogant and report it, then it usually passes as ok

we do know that almost every video has family,ie kids within,and providing its not blatantly a kid exclusive video/image, it usually passes the matter

mods have discretion of course,and here is hoping that surpasses ignorance of the theme/context
in short i take my chances and will face any consequences
no ones setting out to be a pain

New I was gonna link a video regarding

Reactions: englad

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I was gonna link a video regarding the forced adoption of Native Americans in the US in the twentieth century. It's filled with adults detailing their experiences, but wasn't sure if that would contravene the TOS, so decided to delete it.
It happened in Canada, too. It was called the 60s Scoop. People didn’t even know they were Indigenous (well, looking in the mirror was a clue). They were adopted out all over the world. It didn’t really stop until the 80s. It was sick and twisted. I lost relatives that way. Just recently found some cousins through a DNA site and am getting to know one of them. Both were significantly abused in their adoptive home.

I did interviews with survivors of the scoop when our province was preparing an apology. It was heartbreaking. We collected all the tissues with the tears shed and burned them in a ceremony.

Reactions: englad and rbkwp

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
geuss theres hope,in future generations maybe

to some degree
my Maori Grandmother was virtually enslaved in the White Govts state home, virtually seperated from her famly/communal living pa
deemed unhygienic/unsanitary by the days authorities
now reports say they had the best family orientated living conditions ever

my mother knrew better,not allowing them to interfere with our upbringing, brought us up independant of those ways
told us of reports that Cratolic persons were comitting heinous acts, even then
when there was minimal reporrs of such being told

i am personally hoping,it the evil,is weaned out of our younger generations

Just recently found some cousins through a DNA site and am getting to know one of them. Both were significantly abused in their adoptive home.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yes, those government homes in New Zealand and Australia were very much the same as our Residential schools and the U.S.’s Industrial schools. All of them were designed to separate and assimilate the children of the Indigenous people. They were horrible, abusive places.

In Canada there were tests done to see what would happen to dental health if all milk products were removed. Lots of other things like that.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Get ready to celebrate 'Indigenous Peoples Day'
Efforts to replace Columbus Day gain momentum across the nation.
MICHAEL D'ESTRIES
October 11, 2019, 2:04 p.m.

columbus-landing.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Landing of Columbus, painting by John Vanderlyn. (Photo: John Vanderlyn [public domain]/Wikimedia Commons)

Growing up, we all likely encountered a very rosy description of Italian explorer Christopher Columbus, how he sailed the ocean blue, discovered America, had three ships, blah, blah, blah. In reality, Columbus was something of a giant horror show in terms of his deadly impact on indigenous peoples, thirst for wealth and relative indifference to the plight of others. Oh — and he likely introduced syphilis to Europe.

Is this really the kind of person who deserves a federal holiday?

For many, that answer is a resounding no. As more of Columbus's transgressions become known, there's increasing pressure to remove his name from anything to do with the second Monday in October and instead honor those who settled the "New World" thousands of years earlier. Earlier this year, a bill was introduced in Nebraska to replace Columbus Day with "Standing Bear and Indigenous Leaders' Day." A compromise was reached in March to call it Columbus, Standing Bear and Indigenous Leaders' Day.

Reactions: englad and LaFemme

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Efforts to replace Columbus Day gain momentum across the nation.
MICHAEL D'ESTRIES
October 11, 2019, 2:04 p.m.

columbus-landing.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Landing of Columbus, painting by John Vanderlyn. (Photo: John Vanderlyn [public domain]/Wikimedia Commons)

Growing up, we all likely encountered a very rosy description of Italian explorer Christopher Columbus, how he sailed the ocean blue, discovered America, had three ships, blah, blah, blah. In reality, Columbus was something of a giant horror show in terms of his deadly impact on indigenous peoples, thirst for wealth and relative indifference to the plight of others. Oh — and he likely introduced syphilis to Europe.

Is this really the kind of person who deserves a federal holiday?

For many, that answer is a resounding no. As more of Columbus's transgressions become known, there's increasing pressure to remove his name from anything to do with the second Monday in October and instead honor those who settled the "New World" thousands of years earlier. Earlier this year, a bill was introduced in Nebraska to replace Columbus Day with "Standing Bear and Indigenous Leaders' Day." A compromise was reached in March to call it Columbus, Standing Bear and Indigenous Leaders' Day.

Horrible man. If people really want to celebrate Europeans first coming to the Americas, Leif Erikson Day would be a lot less offensive. I just found out it's a thing in some US states and Iceland, on 9th October.

Reactions: rbkwp

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i believed my Mum then and it was confirmed thruout life
so many truths/stories WW, incredib;e LF
and now we see them acting on oter countries/cultures and estroying them more so,50 years or more

Yes, those government homes in New Zealand and Australia were very much the same as our Residential schools and the U.S.’s Industrial schools.

will
definitly get around to it, thanks

Here's the youtube channel:

Vox

It's called "How the US stole thousands of Native American children".

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
WW i would say
not only but

Alaska: Climate change threatens indigenous traditions
Indigenous groups in the US state of Alaska, also referred to as Alaska Natives, have already seen climate change disrupt their subsistence way of life. But they are trying to adapt.

Teresa Hunter lives in Chuathbaluk, a Yup'ik village in the southwest of Alaska. The name means "The Great Blueberry."

Chuathbulak is a tiny village of less than 100 people that exists off the road system. The only way to get there is by boat or plane in the summer, and by plane or driving on frozen rivers and the tundra during the winter.

Like many rural Alaska Native communities, Chuathbulak doesn't have a hospital, and its two grocery stores mostly stock food that doesn't spoil because it has to be flown in. Fresh produce, like oranges or lettuce, is a rare treat. And food there typically costs four times as much as in the Lower 48 — which is what Alaskans call the rest of the US states except for Hawaii.

Read more: Forest fires in Alaska: A ticking climate time bomb

Alaska: Climate change threatens indigenous traditions | DW | 22.10.2019

Reactions: englad and LaFemme

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sticking with the Alaska theme @rbkwp :

yes englad
thanks similar happened with us Maori NZ and i am sure elsewhere
mainly my mums generation, my turn we were totally indoctrinated in English only
the last 25 years the successive govts have re-introduced immersion primary schools, only Maori language taught, but even thats ridiculous now,as once the kids attend intermediate/high, they dont know any primary English
too expensive to have schools solely for etc etc
very difficult everywhere,i imagine

Reactions: englad

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
yes englad
thanks similar happened with us Maori NZ and i am sure elsewhere
mainly my mums generation, my turn we were totally indoctrinated in English only
the last 25 years the successive govts have re-introduced immersion primary schools, only Maori language taught, but even thats ridiculous now,as once the kids attend intermediate/high, they dont know any primary English
too expensive to have schools solely for etc etc
very difficult everywhere,i imagine
We have immersion schools, too (in the city), but since there’s so much English spoken everywhere else, there’s no problem being bilingual.

I think it’s wonderful. It preserves our culture and there’s a lot of spiritual significance in our language. My dad had the language beaten out of him. Didn’t want us to speak it, so I didn’t learn much until I was an adult. I wish I knew it better.

Reactions: rbkwp and englad

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Indigenous New Zealand

i do believe injustices apparently occured in the day earlier on

i am wary compensation should continue to be expected in the present or future

i would hate to think our future generations will be continually expecting those future generations to be paying for our forefathers wrongs

resentment may well resurface,and who can blame them
a time comes for it to end

fortunately
many Tribes/Iwi have been paid out through compensation, settlements of land returns
hopefully people will let it come to a peaceful ending

1572246986210.jpg

1572246986210.jpg

A spine-tingling greeting for Jacinda Ardern as Land Wars commemorations begin

Reactions: LaFemme

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
SEE
what our indigenous tried so hard to prevent

no
white man and greed/lust for wealth over everything else, think they know best huh
shameful criminals
end of the day, they will cry and bemoan, while our indigenous shrug our shoulders

Keystone Pipeline spills 383,000 gallons of oil in North Dakota wetlands

Residents and environmentalists are foreshadowing similar issues with the ongoing Keystone XL project.

By Grace Wade
November 1, 2019
O7QBESS633INQUJORZW4KCS2W4.jpg

Phase 1 of the 2,000-plus-mile Keystone Pipeline completed in 2010. Since then, it has sprung two major leaks into neighboring environs.Patrick Shannon
On Tuesday night the Keystone Pipeline bled 383,000 gallons of crude oil into the North Dakota wetlands, contaminating 22,500 square feet of land near the small town of Edinburgh by the time Canadian gas and oil company TC Energy intervened. This is the pipeline'ssecond significant leak since it began operations in 2011. TC energy reports that the unrefined petroleum is now contained, but the company won't know exactly how much escaped until they've finished their cleanup efforts.

TC Energy, formerly known as TransCanada, reported the accident just hours after the U.S. State Department held a public hearing on the environmental impact of the company's proposed Keystone XL Pipeline. Keystone XL would help funnel petroleum from Alberta, Canada to refineries near the Gulf of Mexico, creating an estimated 16,000 to 42,000 jobs—and passing over the Ogallala Aquifer, one of the world's largest groundwater resources, where many fear it could leak. It is also anticipated to pass through the Missouri River, which is the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe's water supply. As many as 10,000 people participated in protests against the project near the Standing Rock reservation from April 2016 to February 2017, but President Donald Trump approved its construction in 2017. TC Energy is expected to break ground next year.

According to TC Energy spokeswoman Sara Rabern, human and environmental safety are the company’s “top priority.”

"We will take the learnings from this incident, like we do

https://www.popsci.com/keystone-pipeline-springs-second-leak/

Reactions: LaFemme

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The latest:

The Keystone oil spill no one’s talking about will be nearly impossible to clean up

If you’re not signed up for this newsletter, change that by clicking this link.

When the Keystone Pipeline burst last week, half an Olympic-sized pool’s worth of a particularly thick and dirty fossil fuel spilled into wetlands in North Dakota.

The spill validated some of the biggest fears surrounding the pipeline project, which started pumping back in 2010 despite opposition from farmers, indigenous groups, and environmental organizations. The company, TC Energy, formerly TransCanada, projected that the pipeline would spill 11 times over the course of 50 years, or about once every seven years.

Over the last nine years, it’s already spilled large amounts of oil four times.

The pipeline carries oil from enormous tar sands fields in Canada across more than 2,000 miles of pristine wetlands in the Dakotas, half of which have already been drained for farmland. And the heavy mixture of chemicals and oil that flows through the pipeline just happens to sink in water — unlike traditional crude oil, which can be skimmed off the top.

“If you told me there’s an oil spill in wetlands, I would tell you that’s the worst-case scenario,” said Michel Boufadel, a professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of New Jersey Institute of Technology.

TC Energy estimates that 383,000 gallons of the sludge spilled into wetlands near the tiny, rural town of Edinburg on Oct. 29. But that estimate could increase. Each of the four times Keystone has spilled large amounts of oil, the initial numbers dramatically lowballed the spill.

“This one would be one of the larger ones in volume that we've had in my time,” said Karl Rockeman, the director of the state Department of Environmental Quality’s division of water quality.

Read more from Alex Lubben on VICENews.com.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
genuine preservationists,are out there

IMG_0290.jpg

Everybody, soon or late, sits down to a banquet of consequences.

‘Guardian of the Forest’ ambushed and murdered in Brazilian Amazon

Mongabay Series: Amazon Conservation, Amazon Illegal Deforestation, Endangered Environmentalists

They don’t arrest loggers, but they want to arrest the Guardians… We feel very alone here. With no help. We do need a lot of help and support in this land.”

Nine months after Lobo showed us an Amazon ambush site, he was killed in one