Happy indigenous peoples day

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Do we fight our instinct to do this..........every continent except Africa has no human species native to it so science tells us.

So why do we have this overwhelming need to explore our boundaries?

Animal and plant species to continents evolved there....humans spread.

Why?

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm a native Earthman. I was born on Earth. Where else can I go?..........My imagination, what I was born with is limitless....Is it my fault that I have this imagination which has existed since we evolved to explore? Do I choose just to exist?...Yes, I probably could.....But....could my children live just to exist?

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Just like the past, we cannot rewrite, the future also is not written. Or some such philosophical hoo ha.

Just like the person beside you has their own individual fingerprints...they also have their own individual imagination.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
all respect Au
but i am not sure where your at
what are you actually suggesting please
ironically
i am usually pretty good at interpreting our down under lingo
no wonder a lot of folk are irritated/frustrated with mine ha

Reactions: seventiesdemon

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
well
on reflection i do see the points you raise there with these excerpts of your posts
are you being more
'personal/philosiphical' as compared to things global
thats fine, COOL

Do we fight our instinct to do this..........every continent except Africa has no human species native to it so science tells us.

xxxxxxx

So why do we have this overwhelming need to explore our boundaries?

Animal and plant species to continents evolved there....humans spread.

Why?

Just like the person beside you has their own individual fingerprints...they also have their own individual imagination.

xxxxxx

My imagination, what I was born with is limitless....Is it my fault that I have this imagination which has existed since we evolved to explore? Do I choose just to exist?...Yes, I probably could.....But....could my children live just to exist?

just want to add personally
i think its our responsibilty to put global information of whats happening to our planet and why
cant leave it to many of the devlish selfish few to manipulate
ie
destroy our world
thanks,for your input

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
First, let me say that I am a deep ecology believer, and organic gardener totally committed to the health of the earth, and I deeply regret the cultural and ecological damage that my European forebears wrought in the Americas (and elsewhere, too).
But... here's some humor: I am a project manager building fancy custom houses in the Washington DC suburbs. Most of my construction subcontractors are from Central America. Last October 12th, my framing crew arrived in 2 large cans full of tools and perhaps 8-10 men from Salvador, Honduras and Mexico. As they all piled out of the Vans, they joined in unison in asking, "What are you doing for us on Native American Appreciation Day?"

I said, "Well, what do you want?"
"PIZZA!"
I said, "Well, if Columbus hadn't come here, I don't think you would be getting pizza!"

I bought them 5 large pizzas for lunch.

Reactions: rbkwp

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
First, let me say that I am a deep ecology believer, and organic gardener totally committed to the health of the earth, and I deeply regret the cultural and ecological damage that my European forebears wrought in the Americas (and elsewhere, too).
But... here's some humor: I am a project manager building fancy custom houses in the Washington DC suburbs. Most of my construction subcontractors are from Central America. Last October 12th, my framing crew arrived in 2 large cans full of tools and perhaps 8-10 men from Salvador, Honduras and Mexico. As they all piled out of the Vans, they joined in unison in asking, "What are you doing for us on Native American Appreciation Day?"

I said, "Well, what do you want?"
"PIZZA!"
I said, "Well, if Columbus hadn't come here, I don't think you would be getting pizza!"

I bought them 5 large pizzas for lunch.
I have to laugh at that! As an Indigenous person, we can eat a lot of traditional foods. Pizza can be a treat. My friends that come to the city always want Chinese buffet. No more bannock and moose meat!

Reactions: rbkwp

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
reserved thoughts
of an opinion it all must end,preferably amicably
at some stage soon

REAL news tend to take a topical event
ie
thanksgiving day
and basically inflame' a situation
so to speak
like this particular one
very shortlived
seems to make little sense at all

but i know
i shouldent really speak out/comment even
on another countries circumstance
in this instance

my country
i am continually dismayed when
usually very radical indigenous firebrands have a one hit blaze of infamous BS
never to be heard of again
Kaumatua,Maori for elder
older sensible mature calculating indigenous for me
- yes

Indigenous Peoples’ History is More Complicated Than a Holiday Myth

Random thoughts

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Last edited:

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
6pm NZ NEWS
that of supposed importance/MAYBE

NZ INDIGENOUS
going the white mans way

ie
you, give us money/compensation from 00s of years ago

WE WILL INVEST

learnt off the whte man huh ... dubious,i think

rb
scepticism,as usual
wouldent worry about it,going to crap out and die
eventually
- i promise

our democracy
- he,just said
FFS
i just said

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

Indigenous ranger Winston Thompson can read his country, and knows when it's time to burn
Traditional owners and scientists are weaving together their knowledge of the land to better understand and manage country.

unfortunate

Climate change affecting diversity in some of Australia's most remote areas, despite work of Indigenous rangers

Fewer plants, fewer animals despite rangers' love and care for country

The first Aussies walked from New Guinea when it was all known as Sahul 65-70 thousand years ago.....from Rainforest into Rainforest....you could walk to Tassie from Victoria. From Rainforest into Rainforest....

Then the climate began warm, change around 14 thousand years ago and sea levels began to rise...the land bridges finally flooded over in the North and South around six thousand years ago.

What science has been doing is trying to find out why the climate changed rapidly over this period.

Since humans left their birthplace through every continent they've basically burned to keep warm, burned to create farmland, burned to clear land to create grazing land and burned for the sake of burning over thousands of years...humans are firebugs.

But where did the replantings of those lost forests...rainforests burned or destroyed ever take place, anywhere?

What science, common sense is discovering is that burning the ground cover regularly and deliberately exposes the soil to drying out and erosion, has affected the climate and monsoons of Australia, kills off flora and fauna, soil microbes in forests which depend on mulch cover for the soil to remain moist....

The forests of the land work with the water in the oceans to keep everything in delicate harmony....take one of those away....severely damage it in the life cycle of the planet and it all begins to fall apart.....it's been happening over thousands of years...and to fix it is not going to be millions of wind turbines....millions of electric cars, millions of dams or billions more people.....

It will be millions, billions of trees to replace those which have been destroyed. Simple, inexpensive and common sense....but hey, no money to be made for billionaires, tax concessions from governments, billions of dollars in grants by governments to private enterprise......by everyday people planting trees.

Reactions: 51arledge

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The first Aussies walked from New Guinea when it was all known as Sahul 65-70 thousand years ago.....from Rainforest into Rainforest....you could walk to Tassie from Victoria. From Rainforest into Rainforest....

Then the climate began warm, change around 14 thousand years ago and sea levels began to rise...the land bridges finally flooded over in the North and South around six thousand years ago.

What science has been doing is trying to find out why the climate changed rapidly over this period.

Since humans left their birthplace through every continent they've basically burned to keep warm, burned to create farmland, burned to clear land to create grazing land and burned for the sake of burning over thousands of years...humans are firebugs.

But where did the replantings of those lost forests...rainforests burned or destroyed ever take place, anywhere?

What science, common sense is discovering is that burning the ground cover regularly and deliberately exposes the soil to drying out and erosion, has affected the climate and monsoons of Australia, kills off flora and fauna, soil microbes in forests which depend on mulch cover for the soil to remain moist....

The forests of the land work with the water in the oceans to keep everything in delicate harmony....take one of those away....severely damage it in the life cycle of the planet and it all begins to fall apart.....it's been happening over thousands of years...and to fix it is not going to be millions of wind turbines....millions of electric cars, millions of dams or billions more people.....

It will be millions, billions of trees to replace those which have been destroyed. Simple, inexpensive and common sense....but hey, no money to be made for billionaires, tax concessions from governments, billions of dollars in grants by governments to private enterprise......by everyday people planting trees.

The mechanism you d scribe by which we humans have wrecked the planet is obviously correct. Be to change direction will I think be far more difficult than just planting "billions" of trees. Don't get me wrong, I worship trees and have for decades; I hug trees (hugging a Sequoia was one of my peak lifetime experiences); I have planted many trees, I have a bonsai collection.

But in many areas of the planet, there are so many people that finding a place to plant enough trees will be a challenge; we need the land not just for housing, but also for food production, energy production (solar arrays and wind farms for powering cities will require huge expanses of land), and transportation infrastructure.

We are so overpopulated, so consumption focused, and so numb to the consequences of our actions that it's hard to think of any solution other than a worldwide epidemic that would get us to change sufficiently.

The visionary architect Paolo Soleri published an amazing book in the 1960's that contained elaborate drawings of massive densely packed cities that we're meant to miniaturize the ecological footprint of human civilization. By packing us closely together, Soleri wanted to eliminate suburban sprawl and major highways. The cities were designed to (for example) bridge canyons or rivers, float on the ocean, provide shelter from heat in deserts, provide passive solar heat gains in colder climates.

We need visions and goals like these if we are to succeed in healing the planet, and yet...Even a visionary like Soleri can't sustain the idea over time. Several years ago, I toured Arcosanti, Soleri's experimental "city" in the Arizona desert; it's been under construction since the late 1960's. There, in the desert, Soleri was missing his native Italian landscape s so much that he had planted a large expanse of lawn and a row of Lombardy poplars. His staff kept the plants alive by using sprinklers. I was furious at the betrayal of his ideas. If Soleri can't be steadfast in his resolve, how can the great quivering oblivious mass of humanity succeed?

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Much of Australia is covered with fertile soil left over from ancient forests of another time. We lack the water. Watermelon originates from the Kalahari Desert.........it's helping indigenous landowners realise potential for sustainability. Desert Springs watermelon farm in outback Australia

It's what we plant which can lead to larger things....46% of the worlds natural forests have been sacrificed for clearing for one reason or many...the tipping point has been arriving slowly for some time.

Only a small percentage of the world relies on wind farm or solar technology....most of the world does not rely on power the same way the west does. Making the world more affluent though, is going to increase our need for supply for everything. Basically, we will be chasing our arses to try keep up...........Wind farms do not absorb carbon, nor do solar farms...cleaner power yes....but that is a small portion of the manufacture process........there is mining of materials, transport, farming, food production as you have mentioned...shipping, plastic manufacture, packaging...recycling and it's waste......the list is endless.....

Besides...our native animal friends, insects, bees, butterflies etc do not live in wind farms, or solar farms.......they live in the forests, in the soil. They are as vital to our existence as anything else. You can't build wind turbines near trees because it affects their performance and causes early failure.

As far as growing trees go as scientists have agreed on...Tree planting 'has mind-blowing potential' to tackle climate crisis

Thanks for replying.

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Back to indigenous tradition..........this story has been a recent debate here in indigenous communities..."""warning"""...it's graphic...'That's not cultural': Aboriginal elders divided over video of wombat stoning

I would have thought....in any tradition or culture this form of animal "hunt" was borne of human stupidity and shear rebellion of traditional teachings and gathering of food. You spear, and respect your prey. You don't ever taunt, tease or let it die slowly with fear in it's eyes. Save that for humans, killing humans.

Wombats are a very timid and harmless herbivore creatures, marsupials....I would have liked to see film of this young man throwing stones at a Grizzly...and the outcome of his actions....would have been much more entertaining.

There are dickheads in all cultures...they've existed since humans first walked the planet.

He was not charged and no offence was recorded.

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I grow weary of the debate, just because it's been done for thousands of years it must be okay...................yet here we are, in the predicament we find ourselves in....... and it's all because of the past 250 years?

Nah....it's been thousands of years in the making....

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
all respect Au
but i am not sure where your at
what are you actually suggesting please
ironically
i am usually pretty good at interpreting our down under lingo
no wonder a lot of folk are irritated/frustrated with mine ha

I'm an indigenous Earth Person RB, like you. I wasn't born on another planet and arrived here as an Alien. A part of my family may have arrived by boat, yet my families blood is mixed with those who first walked here.

If we wish to dissect ourselves into groups then nothing will be achieved for the good of all. Either we work together, listen and learn from common sense....or die together.... Quite simple.

That is what I meant.

Reactions: rbkwp and 51arledge

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The only reason I mentioned solar and wind as energy sources is that they are the best available technologies to stop this mindless carbon cycle that we are caught in. There are numerous examples here in the USA where vast areas of woodland and prairie are being devastated to make room for solar farms and wind turbines. Yes, we do need energy production to become more localized to reduce the areas where huge swaths of land are raped for the high voltage wires. Then, there is also the risk that our electrical distribution systems can actually spark and cause massive fires such as those in California.

As I said above, maybe our best hope as a species is a major world wide epidemic...or an asteroid.

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The only reason I mentioned solar and wind as energy sources is that they are the best available technologies to stop this mindless carbon cycle that we are caught in. There are numerous examples here in the USA where vast areas of woodland and prairie are being devastated to make room for solar farms and wind turbines. Yes, we do need energy production to become more localized to reduce the areas where huge swaths of land are raped for the high voltage wires. Then, there is also the risk that our electrical distribution systems can actually spark and cause massive fires such as those in California.

As I said above, maybe our best hope as a species is a major world wide epidemic...or an asteroid.

That's on the cards...Asteroid....not likely to happen though until our solar system enters a "busy zone".

Humans are a relatively new species on the planet which has an approximate lifespan of 4 billion years.

We are about half way in that planetary life cycle....and many species have come....and gone. Who would have believed 60 foot animals existed.........yet for some reason little kids, even before they learn about Dinosaurs are fascinated by them... Curious again.

Not even the first Australians have stories of their first beginnings, how they arrived in the land. Which has perplexed me somewhat, considering tradition, culture, stories are handed down from generations past.

I somewhat think the reason for this is the land was all one at the time....the oceans rose after our first arrivals. I try to form my own reasoning on how I would be in those ancient moments.

Would those people have panicked when they saw the land bridges they walked across being flooded by the oceans? Metres upon metres of water...not millimetres..... Would they, did feel threatened by extinction of rising water?

Remember..........much of the lands surface was still covered by forests...rain, temperate and dry.........

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm an indigenous Earth Person RB, like you. I wasn't born on another planet and arrived here as an Alien. A part of my family may have arrived by boat, yet my families blood is mixed with those who first walked here.

If we wish to dissect ourselves into groups then nothing will be achieved for the good of all. Either we work together, listen and learn from common sense....or die together.... Quite simple.

That is what I meant.

cheers and thanks