Happy LUNAR New Year!

easy_eros: KUNG SI FA CHAY! ;D
Happy Lunar New Year!
welcome to the year of the green monkey!

mindseye: I'm not terribly familiar with Chinese customs regarding the new year, but I'm reminded of two stories:

Several years ago, I temporarily boarded a Chinese family in my home (husband, wife, and 4-year-old daughter); the husband and daughter's visa had gone through without a hitch, but the paperwork for the wife's visa had gotten lost (or possibly "gotten lost"), and this interfered with their ability to get on-campus housing.

By January, they had moved into a campus apartment, but to show their appreciation, they invited me to join them and a few of their friends for a traditional New Year's dinner. This was authentic Chinese food, and not the American-palatized food served here in Chinese restaurants.

The first few courses were familiar foods to me -- vegetables, mostly. Then came the squid, which I'd never tried before, but was okay. The next course turned out to be pig stomach -- and based on my reaction to that, they didn't tell me what the course after that was. ("We don't know the English word", they politely demurred.)

An interesting experience, but I'll stick with pizza, thanks. ;)

While visiting a friend in DC, we went to a Chinese restaurant which had these paper placemats featuring the Chinese zodiac, with a different animal for each year. My friend asked when I was born and started laughing. Under my birth year, the placemat plainly said, "You get along best with Cock." :)

rangersean: Tonight at midnight, my local news says (and since I'm near San Francisco, I'll believe them) we're supposed to open all our doors and windows to let the old bad spirits out.

I don't recommend this to those of you suffering the deep freeze.

Mindseye - you remind me of when I lived in DC and my mom came to visit. We went for Chinese take-out and my mom paid with a traveler's cheque. The counter lady politely inquired where she was from, and when she said California, the lady appologized for the food. And this was BEFORE we got it!

OK, no cocks in there, but Happy New Year anyway.

Gung Hay Fat Choy. I believe.

easy_eros: mindseye,
what's your chinese zodiac? you're either an ox or a snake right?

rangersean
gung he fat choy is cantonese!
kung si fa chay is mandarin! :)

7x6andchg: Anyone know if a Monkey year is good for an Ox? :D

rangersean: easy - thank you, I've always wondered. I knew they both were used. I HAVE noticed gung hay fat choy has virtually disappeared around here - being Catonese would explain it.

And no, I did not intend to contradict you! I just was adding my two cents!

easy_eros: [quote author=7x6+C link=board=meetgreet;num=1074706882;start=0#4 date=01/22/04 at 16:20:57]Anyone know if a Monkey year is good for an Ox?   :D[/quote]

well it's not bad for you. the year of the ox is not at odds with the year of the monkey so youll be fine this year. the ox is best friends with the SNAKE and the COCK! lol! if i remember correctly this year is so suppose to bring the ox good luck in his career! love and health are so so. to be sure check the online resources on chinese astrology. ;D

easy_eros: [quote author=rangersean link=board=meetgreet;num=1074706882;start=0#5 date=01/22/04 at 22:53:45]
And no, I did not intend to contradict you! I just was adding my two cents![/quote]

don't worry about it i knew you weren't trying to contradict me ;) i'm just glad to be able to share my culture and heritage ;D

rangersean: I forgot, I'm a tiger.

And to paraphrase one of my favorite characters in literature (and Disney movies):
"The wonderful thing about tig(g)ers is that tig(g)ers are wonderful things!"

headbang8: [quote author=easy link=board=meetgreet;num=1074706882;start=0#7 date=01/23/04 at 06:08:11]

...just glad to be able to share my culture and heritage ;D
[/quote]

Hey, easy. What does this year have in store for a cock?